Your experience? The best MREs?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Your experience? The best MREs? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I'm curious to know everybody's opinion (from personal experience) on what brand of MREs is the best. Considering the quality, affordability, taste, portions? Does the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Your experience? The best MREs?

I'm curious to know everybody's opinion (from personal experience) on what brand of MREs is the best. Considering the quality, affordability, taste, portions? Does the food back up the companies claims? What brands do you truly trust your... well, life with, if you are in a "situation".
    Thanks for the feed back!
    EDIT: Maybe I'm using the wrong term. I'm thinking more on the lines of long term food storage, grab and go buckets... not necessarily military issued food.
    Last edited by RACH3L; 10-05-2013 at 02:20 PM.

Sense I have had a lot of experience with the standard issue MRE I have to go with that. Has what you need the food is good, some better some will do.
    The flameless heater makes it taste even better when you can use it.
    The reduce meals used in short training were ok but lacking after you burnt up a lot of energy
    Fuzzee likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Beef stew. Actually better than most frozen tv dinners by far!

Does anybody remember the exact name of the shredded chicken one NOBODY would eat? I remember whole pallets of them sitting untouched for months in Iraq because they were so disgusting everybody would pick them out from the others and throw them aside. I don't think a rat could choke one down without getting the runs.
    Reality: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member R.I.P.

"what brand of MREs is the best"

I never noticed the brand of an MRE. But sure it was marked somewhere.

MRE Menu ll
    Vegetable Lasagna Vegetarian
    Contains the following
    Flameless heater,Vegtable Lasagana 8 oz,Pears 4.5 oz,Vanilla pound cake 2.5 0z, Wheat snack bread 2 oz,Peanut butter 1.5oz,
    Chocolate hazelnut cocoa Beverage power 1.2oz dry. Two peaces gum, .56oz lemon flavored tea packet,
    1/8 oz Bulliards pepper sauce,4 grams Iodized salt,small pack toilet paper , moist towelette and plastic spoon.
    Meal contains everything you need If the flameless heater is used to heat the main course it taste pretty good . Often main course is eaten along with the fruit the rest is eaten of time. This is the basics of the meal each one is a little different and a much wider verity now than in the past.

Your experience? The best MREs?-100_1317.jpgYour experience? The best MREs?-100_1318.jpg

Just finished it pretty darn good.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 10-05-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    MRE Menu ll
    Contains the following
    Flameless heater,Vegtable Lasagana 8 oz,Pears 4.5 oz,Vanilla pound cake 2.5 0z,Peanut butter 1.5oz,
    Chocolate hazelnut cocoa Beverage power 1.2oz dry. Two peaces gum, .56oz lemon flavored tea packet,
    1/8 oz Bulliards pepper sauce,4 grams Iodized salt,small pack toilet paper , moist towelette and plastic spoon.
    Meal contains everything you need If the flameless heater is used to heat the main course it taste pretty good . Often main course is eaten along with the fruit the rest is eaten of time. This is the basic of the meal each one is a little different and a much wider verity now that in the past.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1317.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	2807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1318.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	2808
    I guess MRE's are, for the most part, OK. There ARE one or two that, to be diplomatic, are "less than successful".
    To be UN-diplomatic, there's couple not even a rat would eat. I think my two biggest objections are the dimensions,
    and the weight. For a bug out bag, they are IMHO just too big and they weigh too much. But then again, my idea of how a bug out bag fits into survival in general is a little different than some other folks. To me, a bug out bag it is to get you to your main campsite that is near a source of easily purified water and where you have buried a cache tube
    that contains a decent tent along with other supplies you will need until what ever has happened dies down or blows over. Ideally it should also be near an easily looted food source i.e. an out of the way grocery store, or other food shop.
    For food in a bug out bag, IMO you should consider something like Datrex emergency rations and Mountain House freeze
    dried food. If you carry enough water you can get away with at least 1 meal per day being a full meal freeze-dried, and
    go on emergency rations the rest of the day. The Datrex rations are small and light, high calorie, and non-thirst provoking. All in all you can just carry more E-rations or Freeze-dried food in the same space that MRE's take up and
    have just as many, if not more, calories, and you can carry a lot of other equipment that you should have like a very
    large first-aid kit, Toilet paper, extra socks, and, most important of all the best handgun you can afford with the most
    ammo for it you can carry.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    MRE Menu ll
    Contains the following
    Flameless heater,Vegtable Lasagana 8 oz,Pears 4.5 oz,Vanilla pound cake 2.5 0z,Peanut butter 1.5oz,
    Meal contains everything you need If the flameless heater is used to heat the main course it taste pretty good . Often main course is eaten along with the fruit the rest is eaten of time. This is the basic of the meal each one is a little different and a much wider verity now that in the past.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1317.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	2807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1318.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	2808
    I guess MRE's are, for the most part, OK. There ARE one or two that, to be diplomatic, are "less than successful". To be UN-diplomatic, there's couple not even a rat would eat. I think my two biggest objections are the dimensions,
    and the weight. For a bug out bag, they are IMHO just too big and they weigh too much. But then again, my idea of how a bug out bag fits into survival in general is a little different than some other folks. To me, a bug out bag it is to get you to your main campsite that is near a source of easily purified water and where you have buried a cache tube
    that contains a decent tent along with other supplies you will need until what ever has happened dies down or blows over. Ideally it should also be near an easily looted food source i.e. an out of the way grocery store, or other food shop.For food in a bug out bag, IMO you should consider something like Datrex emergency rations and Mountain House freeze dried food. If you carry enough water you can get away with at least 1 meal per day being a full meal freeze-dried, and go on emergency rations the rest of the day. The Datrex rations are small and light, high calorie, and non-thirst provoking. All in all you can just carry more E-rations or Freeze-dried food in the same space that MRE's take up and have just as many, if not more, calories, and you can carry a lot of other equipment that you should have like a very large first-aid kit, Toilet paper, extra socks, and, most important of all the best handgun you can afford with the most ammo for it you can carry.
    Last edited by RShultz210; 10-05-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by rickfromillinois View Post
    Would it be the Chicken Chow Main(sp)?
    There is only one kind of chicken that is meant for humans IMO that is Chicken no first name or second name added to it . Chicken plus anything else is not chicken. When I went down today to grab one I could have bet first one I reached in and grabbed was a chicken stew I threw it a long ways.
    I will eat it if I have too I lived on the darn things for months a a time. After awhile you stop eating everything in them and don't eat 3 a day.
    You can gain weight eating MRE's.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    I've had MRE's by various commercial makers and find the usgi's the best. There are some real shooty commercial MRE rip offs out there with expired heaters and low quality components. My favorite meal is Chili Mac, soooooooooo if we happen to be held out together some time in the future and digging into a box of MRE's, I may punch you for grabbing the Chili Mac before me.

Quote Originally Posted by rickfromillinois View Post
    Would it be the Chicken Chow Main(sp)?
    I wanna say it had a fancier name than that. :D I remember it actually sounded good. After much complaining from higher ups (who didn't have to eat them!) that we were wasteful, they bulldozed a couple pallets of them under the sand to get rid of them! :D :D
    Reality: Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links