Is there any reason not to get a 30-quart pressure canner over a 21.5 quart?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Is there any reason not to get a 30-quart pressure canner over a 21.5 quart? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I'm saving up for an All American pressure canner. The 21.5 quart holds 7 quart jars, while the 30 quart holds 14. There will be ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Is there any reason not to get a 30-quart pressure canner over a 21.5 quart?

Super Moderator

I'm saving up for an All American pressure canner. The 21.5 quart holds 7 quart jars, while the 30 quart holds 14. There will be times I won't have 14 jars to put up, so is there any problem running a great big one like that half full? Any other considerations? My thinking is if I'm spending the money, it's only about $70 more for twice the capacity, but I've never used one before so I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing.

Thanks!

Senior Member R.I.P.

You don't have to double stack either size canner. But you do want each level full. If you are doing just the bottom level make sure to use 7 quart jars so they can't bounce around & break. Coming up empty people sometimes just can water. On the same note, it will do 11 pint jars. Make sure to have 11 jars in there.

The 21.5 will do two stacks of pints while the 30 will do two stacks of quarts.

A problem some people have is the height of a 30 quart canner. Keep in mind you will end up removing hot jars from that canner. Look at the height of your stove, the height of a quart jar, & the height of the canner.
    indie likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

I have a 15.5 & an 18.5 (WWII vintage). Even between those two is a noticeable difference in height getting the hot jars out. My choice was that I would rather have two smaller ones then one big one. Both of mine I bought off fleabay. If you go that route, decide what you would pay for it & don't exceed that price. You get out bid & another will come along. All parts on an AA canner are replaceable.

I set both of mine up for both pressure gauge & weight (jiggler). The jiggler ofcourse exhausts excessive pressure. The gauge tells me I'm at minimum. Allows me to set the heat without having to use excessive heat.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Senior Member R.I.P.

Here's where to get any replacement parts:

All American Pressure Canner Parts

Soooooooooo, what will you be using in the mash for your new still?

Southern States Multi Stock 12% Sweet Feed 50lb - Southern States Cooperative ?
    Reality: Hidden Content

Obviously something just zoomed right over the top of my head?

Super Moderator

Thanks for the responses! We just measured and the height of the big one will make it very difficult to get jars out from under the range hood, so the smaller one it is. Darn, I guess I'll have to shop for two now. :D

And Cheese, do I get a bonus of having a dual purpose canner?

Oh, also, they say they are cooker/canners. Am I understanding correctly that I'd have to cook first and then put them in jars and can? Or could I throw beans in a jar and they'd come out cooked and canned? I've water bath canned a ton but, as you can tell, have absolutely no idea when it comes to pressure canners. If you do have to cook them first, what's the benefit of using pressure? I mean, obviously it's quicker, but then you're putting food in contact with aluminum, something I'd probably rather not risk.

Senior Member R.I.P.

A pressure cooker is not a canner but a canner can be used as a pressure cooker.

You wouldn't be able to pressure can dry beans because of the amount of water they absorb. Have to hydrate them before canning.

Anyone that plans to can should invest in a Ball Home Preserving book which gives canning pressures & times as well as other helpful tricks.

nope. 21.5 is good...

Senior Member R.I.P.

Using pressure does two things. First, it increases cooking temperature. Second, it helps force air out of the top of the jars.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links