Dehydrated Corn on the cheap
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Dehydrated Corn on the cheap within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Instead of using frozen corn for dehydrating we decided to try some canned corn. A #10 can was $3.48 for 6 pounds at our local ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Dehydrated Corn on the cheap

Instead of using frozen corn for dehydrating we decided to try some canned corn. A #10 can was $3.48 for 6 pounds at our local warehouse store. Almost half the cost of frozen corn.

We did rinse the corn to remove the starchy water.

Approximately 1 pound per tray

Ready!

6 pounds of corn in a 1 quart jar, ready for vacuuming.
    hayden, Ripon, bigdogbuc and 1 others like this.

That's awesome - I hate bying dehydrated foods - I feel ripped off at all the open space in the can.

PS I do not have the equpment to deydrate anything and need to evaluate that - what is that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripon View Post
    That's awesome - I hate bying dehydrated foods - I feel ripped off at all the open space in the can.

PS I do not have the equpment to deydrate anything and need to evaluate that - what is that one?
    Check out Nesco. They make very good, and relatively inexpensive dehydrators. Ours is 750 watts. Best thing I ever bought.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have a Nesco - first one I bought. Then purchased an Excalibur. That was much spendier but I like the square trays and not having to rotate the trays for even drying. I found it is much quieter also. That said - I use them both when I have a lot to dehydrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripon View Post
    Check around. I think ours was cheaper on Amazon.

I would also pick up some extra screen trays and drip trays.

For your first attempt make some fruit leather. You'll be hooked for life.

I understand that rehydrating the corn will give you a source to have corn for supper, not a bad idea.

I buy 50lb bags of corn at the feed store for $12.99 which cannot be rehydrated but can be ground for corn bread, etc.

I would guess your $3.50 can of corn netted you about 9 ounces of dried corn, for calories per dollar the 50lb bags are a better deal if you have a way to grind it.
    Gridrebel likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Banned

How long did you have it in there? My mother in law bought me a RONCO 5 tray dehydrator and it seems to work okay. But the times seem to be hit and miss with me. I finally have my wife on board with some food storage so I broke it out a few days ago and I don't think I've shut it off except to reload it. Did a couple of pears, an apple and and a couple of bananas. I figured out with this one it has to at least 24 hours with tray rotation and all that. I have some garden fresh Zucchini in it right now.

Good news is she'll be here in a few weeks and is bringing me a food saver. Maybe while she's here I can talk her into a pressure canner AND a vacuum sealer for jars.

Senior Member R.I.P.

I would not rinse the starch off the corn. Starch helps the body process the corn.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogbuc View Post
    How long did you have it in there? My mother in law bought me a RONCO 5 tray dehydrator and it seems to work okay. But the times seem to be hit and miss with me. I finally have my wife on board with some food storage so I broke it out a few days ago and I don't think I've shut it off except to reload it. Did a couple of pears, an apple and and a couple of bananas. I figured out with this one it has to at least 24 hours with tray rotation and all that. I have some garden fresh Zucchini in it right now.

Good news is she'll be here in a few weeks and is bringing me a food saver. Maybe while she's here I can talk her into a pressure canner AND a vacuum sealer for jars.
    A tip on dehydrating, load the trays on a sunny day and put them out in the sun for 2 hours, then start the dehydrator. You should be able to dry most items in 8 hours.
    bigdogbuc and Gridrebel like this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links