Jerky me, one more time.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Jerky me, one more time.

This is a discussion on Jerky me, one more time. within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; We picked up a couple slabs of flank steak today. Now vacuum marinating. Next stop the dehydrator....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jerky me, one more time.

Jerky me, one more time.

We picked up a couple slabs of flank steak today.

Now vacuum marinating. Next stop the dehydrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jerky me, one more time.-jerky-1.jpg  

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to
    time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

What's ingredients did you use?

What is the reason for vacumme marinating?
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    What's ingredients did you use?

What is the reason for vacumme marinating?
    This is my first attempt so I used the cure & spice packet from the jerky kit.

Vacuum marinating speeds up the process. The marinating was done in 1 hour. You can use vacuum bags or a jar like I did.
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to
    time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I was just sent an Excalibur dehydrator to review on our blog.. I am lookin forward to trying it out! It is the 5 tray version and has plenty of space.

I've never liked the outcome of deep marinated beef for jerky. It has always overwhelmed the flavor for me. I like to dip it, let it sit for an hour or two, and dry it - soy sauce or teriyake and maybe a little spice.
    In a nation where anything goes ... everything eventually will.

My favorite jerky recipie is to get a " meat rub" and sprinkle it on the jerky strips, let it sit for a few hours in the fridge and then smoke in my little chief for about an hour. Then I dehydrate it.

It is amazingly simple and much better than the simple soy/ teriyaki wet brines. If you do wet brines I suggest a bit of liquid smoke in the brine.
    NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Rancher View Post
    My favorite jerky recipie is to get a " meat rub" and sprinkle it on the jerky strips, let it sit for a few hours in the fridge and then smoke in my little chief for about an hour. Then I dehydrate it.

It is amazingly simple and much better than the simple soy/ teriyaki wet brines. If you do wet brines I suggest a bit of liquid smoke in the brine.
    I am like you on this one.. I like mine smoked a little too. Hell, I think "smoked" should be it's own food group! Might as well add sour cream too! I even put sour cream on my scrambled eggs/w cheese and some salsa. Hmm, time to get somethin to eat.
    Montana Rancher likes this.

I thought I would send a few pics from my recent jerky makings, I have some excess big game meat that I want to clear out before I go hunting this fall and have worked these recipes out over a couple decades. Making jerky is amazingly simple if you have never tried it, it is hard to ruin meat and easy to work up recipes that you like.

When I butcher my elk, deer or antelope I take the meat off the bone in the muscle groups which I refer to as "meat loaves". I'm not really ready to go into the process here but when you take the meat which each piece being an individual muscle you don't get much or any sinew in that particular piece of meat which leads to less grizzle. It isn't always possible to get a reasonable portion per muscle group so sometimes there is a sinew line but in most cases you can get a sinew free piece of meat which is perfect for making jerky, slicing into steaks to grill or a roast. In either case except for the back straps I don't make "elk steaks", I make lots and lots of roast and if I want steaks I take a roast and carve off the thickness I want for my steaks. I hope that makes sense, I will try to remember to take some pictures when butchering my elk this fall.

Anyway using the "loaves" method I take my vacumme packed elk roasts from the freezer, I usually package them in 1.5 to 2 pound packages since that is the most useful size for my current family

Jerky me, one more time.-start.jpg

Then I let them thaw for a couple hours. The trick for perfect jerky is to cut the slices while the meat is mostly frozen which makes it easy to get decently thin slices with a knife, I like 3/16" thick which is highly subjective.

Jerky me, one more time.-sliced-meat.jpg
    NRA Patron Member

Now for the hard part, haha

I like use "rib rub" spices to flavor the meat here my favorite:

Jerky me, one more time.-grilled-creations.jpg

Since I am always looking for the next best replacement I tried this as well:

Jerky me, one more time.-famous-daves.jpg

Whatever you decide to use you really can't go wrong, you may not "like" your choice but it will be edible and better than the NITRATE fortified crap you buy at the local gas stop. I lay the slices on a plate and sprinkle the rub on them:

Jerky me, one more time.-plate-stacked.jpg

That plate shows a couple of layers of meat then sprinkle, then meat then sprinkle, etc
    Last edited by Montana Rancher; 08-04-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    NRA Patron Member

Now after a day the plate will look like this:

Jerky me, one more time.-yum-yum-blood.jpg

From this point all you have to do is dry it to have jerky, here is some pics of just putting it on a dehydrator and getting the moisture out

Jerky me, one more time.-dehydrator-cured.jpg

The discolored middle parts are a result of the salt in the cures "cooking" the meat chemically and preserving it. Not really a big deal if you plan on either freezing the jerky or consuming it in the next few weeks. If you want long term storage you would want the whole piece of meat cured brownish. The dark crystals on the top are pepper for a spicier taste, more on this later.

Jerky me, one more time.-dehydrator-loaded.jpg

Trays all loaded up, ready to dry, you could use a fire, or a solar dryer in place of my very energy intensive $24 dehydrator.

and now the finish product after 6 hours in my dry climate it doesn't take long, if you life in more humid conditions maybe another 2-3 hours

Jerky me, one more time.-dehydrator-done.jpg
    Last edited by Montana Rancher; 08-04-2013 at 11:15 PM.
    NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links