Jerky me, one more time. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Jerky me, one more time.

This is a discussion on Jerky me, one more time. within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; More advanced and tasty recipes I use call for some smoking, which could be done over a fire using any type of hardwood like apple, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Jerky me, one more time.

More advanced and tasty recipes I use call for some smoking, which could be done over a fire using any type of hardwood like apple, hickory, mesquite, alder, cherry, etc

I will pull out my 30+ year old Little Chief Smoker, I like to point out that you don't need a lot of high tech shit to make decent smoked meat, this was $20 when I purchased it and is now maybe about $100

Jerky me, one more time.-old-faithful.jpg

Load the racks

Jerky me, one more time.-little-chief-rack.jpg

And add some chips, I am a big fan of mesquite, but hickory is always good. The other woods listed above also are good it is a matter of individual taste

Jerky me, one more time.-chips.jpg
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

Wet brines are also a good option, one of my daughters favorites is a teriakki flavor and you can use almost any type of sauce as well as soy sauce as long as it has some kind of sugar or salt in it.

Jerky me, one more time.-yoshitas.jpg

You need to dilute the mixture of these types of sauces/marinades by at least 3:1 if you like it REALLY strong and you can easily go 5:1 if you want the flavor but still like to taste the meat, i.e. with a nasty rutting buck go 3:1 and with a spike or a doe you can easily go 5:1 or even more.

Soak the meat overnight and dry on the dehydrator and share with your friends, it really is good.
    NRA Patron Member

Last point which I put separately so you won't miss it, if you like "spicy" jerky don't mess around with hot sauce, or exotic peppers in your brines. Just sprinkle regular pepper on them before drying/smoking, heavy for that really good kick or light for a twinge of hotness.

Seriously anything other than regular table pepper will ruin more batches of jerky than it is worth, trust me I've tried. :razz:
    NRA Patron Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Mod Squad

Looks great.

You know, the custom on this forum is to hold a drawing for an 8 ounce sample.

Just sayin.
    Deebo likes this.

Success Is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm - anonymous

My dad used a Little Chief Smoker while I was growing up, I still drool thinking about it! I just use a dry rub packet, and let the meat refrigerate for a day before dehydrating. I like my jerky pretty darn thin, so I go to my local butcher who cuts it for me. I have cut my own of course, but they have good prices and are a bunch of nice people. I actually just did a batch this afternoon, most of it for my husband to take to his base as a treat for his friends there. I absolutely love making our own jerky, I can't remember the last time I bought it from a store.

Great read and thanks for the tips thinking of buying a dehydration unite as i love jerky and it is so darn expensive in the store... and thanks for the photos us visual learners love pictures..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links