Spring onions
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Spring onions

This is a discussion on Spring onions within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Drying a shit-ton of spring onions today. The house smells... great. I add them liberally to most things you'd add dried chopped onion too. They ...

Thread: Spring onions

Spring onions

Drying a shit-ton of spring onions today. The house smells... great.

I add them liberally to most things you'd add dried chopped onion too. They contribute a nice mild flavor.

That's about 10% of what's currently popped up in the yard so far, not counting the area of the yard the dog has claimed as his own. my next green onion endeavor will be canning onion broth.
    I also have a great recipe for Korean BBQ that includes fresh green onion:

KOREAN BBQ SAUCE
    1 c. soy sauce
    1/2 c. sesame seed oil(EVOO works fine)
    1/4 c. water
    8 cloves minced garlic
    1 bunch chopped green onions
    1/4 bunch ginger root, chopped fine
    Black pepper
    1 c. sugar

Marinate your choice of meat overnight. Pork has worked well for me.

The bulk of the onions however will fall victim to the lawnmower, as there is simply too much to deal with. Who else uses these? Does anyone preserve them? Any tips, tricks or recipes you'd like to share?

I must ask, was the name of the recipe "Korean BBQ Sauce" anything to do with the world's state of affairs????

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    I must ask, was the name of the recipe "Korean BBQ Sauce" anything to do with the world's state of affairs????
    Lol no. Though given time I'm sure I could come up with a recipe involving much more ironic ingredients :p

You can find korean bbq sauce at the Asian market, but I find that the fresh garlic, green onion and ginger really put this recipe head and shoulders above anything that comes from a jar.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

I just planted about 15 square feet of spring onion. I'm going to try this in my dehydrator. I also shop at H-mart and this area is becoming mainly Korean right now, how ironic we're both of the same mindset. It's also a big plus being hit on by Asian girls ten years older than me, and ten years younger and not knowing the difference. There's this cashier there though, her name is Fei Fei Ng "Fei-Fei-Ning" oh my god I want her. She's just nerdy and nice enough to trip my man alarms with her little 90lb self.

Sponsored Links