Cant stand the waiting anymore....
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Cant stand the waiting anymore.... within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; The activity in LFI's BYFPC (Back Yard Food Production Complex) has begun in earnest as of today. Since the weather has been incredibly mild the ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Cant stand the waiting anymore....

The activity in LFI's BYFPC (Back Yard Food Production Complex) has begun in earnest as of today. Since the weather has been incredibly mild the last week or so not that we had much of a winter to begin with, I decided to get somethings started and get the ball rolling at a brisk pace.

I am adding more and more heirlooms each year but I am still using a limited amount of hybrids seeds to exhaust the supply I have on hand and due to the fact there are a couple of things I haven't yet located heirloom wise. I planted the following so far...

2 x Anaheim Chili Peppers
    2 x Jalpeno Peppers
    2 x Cayenne Peppers
    15 x Bell Peppers

I am starting everything from seed this year cause Im a tight wad and the cost of seedlings even when I can find the varieties I want are getting to be pretty pricey. I mean for what one plant would cost I can get dozens of plants from a pack of seeds. Plus if SHTF...Im probably not going to be able to purchase seedlings and will have to rely on my skill at sprouting my own.

I also went by my buddies farm today and cleaned out his barn and areas of his pasture and added about a yards worth of cow manure to the two raised beds I have. I went on a head and tilled it all under along with a copious amount of leaf litter, so in about 3 weeks both beds should be pretty well primed for the first batch of seedlings.

Im looking forward to doing a whole lot more in the coming week or two!
    oswegoscott and hayden like this.

I tried drying some seeds from a hundred pound sack of green chiles.
    They didn't sprout.

I haven't done it in decades.
    Any tips for growing them from the pepper?

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    Some seeds need to be soaked overnite in water. Also,pepper and tomato seeds take a while to germinate--like a week. Stuff like beans & squash can pop a sprout in 2 days
    So soak them overnight them plant them directly?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

That would be my move.

I bought one of those little green house thingys at wally world this year. It was about 10 bucks and look like it might be handy for doing small batches of this and that. You can get 15 of the small peat pellets in there comfortably and adjust the air flow in it as well. If going that route use just water until the seeds have sprouted a couple of days then add some fertilizer to the water to help them out. I use a little compost tea myself rather than the chemical stuff thats commonly used. Once they have sprouted, in addition to warmth they will need light in a spectrum that simulates the sun. Since I have aquariums, I sit my little plant trays on top of it and let the warmth from the light keep them doing well. I then use a grow light in a brooder lamp fixture for the light until they get some size on them and I can harden them off a bit before adding to the garden.

Yep thats a 10-4 on the peppers and tomatoes. Thats next on the agenda here! Beans, Squash and Melons are usually pretty co-operative and sprout rapidly. No need to soak those. Plant them in a small container and water them and in about 10-14 days you can start hardening them off and putting them outside in the garden once your sure there will be no more freezes.

After the Tomatoes...a gang of Beans, Squash, Okra, Corn and Melons are next up at bat!

Yay! Congrats on getting started, Lunatic! I get excited when I see those tiny sprouts appearing.

We do winter sewing to get a good head start on things. I will be starting my seedlings at the end of this month. Rather than purchasing seed starter soil, I'm going to collect rotted wood, mix it with my aging compost and pot up my seeds. A friend thinks rotted wood is too acidic, but my seeds sprouted last year, til the beloved dog got a hold of them. The seed containers that aren't recycled containers go into a large clear storage container. I have a mini-greenhouse. We have to put plastic over it, then all the potted up stuff will go inside. This will provide a double layer of protection from cold and frost. If you don't know what winter sewing is and you live in the North, I highly recommend finding out. I'll put a link elsewhere on the forum.

Last year I bawled my eyes out, yes, literally, when I discovered my dog got into the containers and ripped my baby seedlings to shreds and damaged the thin seed starter containers. Everything was ruined. I love that dog dearly and he's my baby, but I was SO ready to kick his ass. So I sat and bawled instead of taking my frustration out on him.

Quote Originally Posted by prepgirl View Post
    Yay! Congrats on getting started, Lunatic! I get excited when I see those tiny sprouts appearing.

We do winter sewing to get a good head start on things. I will be starting my seedlings at the end of this month. Rather than purchasing seed starter soil, I'm going to collect rotted wood, mix it with my aging compost and pot up my seeds. A friend thinks rotted wood is too acidic, but my seeds sprouted last year, til the beloved dog got a hold of them. The seed containers that aren't recycled containers go into a large clear storage container. I have a mini-greenhouse. We have to put plastic over it, then all the potted up stuff will go inside. This will provide a double layer of protection from cold and frost. If you don't know what winter sewing is and you live in the North, I highly recommend finding out. I'll put a link elsewhere on the forum.

Last year I bawled my eyes out, yes, literally, when I discovered my dog got into the containers and ripped my baby seedlings to shreds and damaged the thin seed starter containers. Everything was ruined. I love that dog dearly and he's my baby, but I was SO ready to kick his ass. So I sat and bawled instead of taking my frustration out on him.
    You should have beat him with the seedlings. That could not hurt him.
    He might have gotten the point not to do it again. But he might get is you were pissed.

We have bought dried beans at the grocery store and they sprout fine, dont waste money on seed when a pound is only a buck

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    Funny--years ago my grandmother mentioned gathering rotted wood for starting seeds during the depression
    Really? Thank you for mentioning that. So it must have worked fine then. I mean, I know the seeds will sprout in it since they did last year, but all of them were ruined, so I didn't get to see the long-term results. I ended up buying seed starter because I had used all the compost I had in that batch of mix.

Some plants do not like acidic soil (which apparently rotted wood is acidic). I didn't get to see if those seedlings would become stressed as we neared planting time. Since I winter sew, the seedlings end up staying in the containers much longer than they otherwise would.

Quote Originally Posted by insatiable ONE View Post
    You should have beat him with the seedlings. That could not hurt him.
    He might have gotten the point not to do it again. But he might get is you were pissed.
    LOL! I certainly could have. I did give him the "third degree" verbally. There was no mistaking that I was highly pissed, as was indicated by his tail stuck between his legs and his ears laid back. I forgave him.....weeks later.
    insatiable ONE likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links