Best Place to Buy Jars?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Best Place to Buy Jars?

This is a discussion on Best Place to Buy Jars? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I am looking to do a lot of canning (A LOT). What is the best place to buy affordable jars/lids for canning? I am already ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Best Place to Buy Jars?

Best Place to Buy Jars?

I am looking to do a lot of canning (A LOT). What is the best place to buy affordable jars/lids for canning?

I am already checking yard sales, thrift stores, freecycle, craigslist, etc. Looking for a place to buy them new.

I just wait for sales and then buy as many as I can afford. I have found buying at yard sale and good will is a crap shoot. I always keep in mind the price of rings and lids also. if the price is more expensive to buy that used jar and then a new ring and lid, I just buy the new jars. I can usually get a dozen new jars for about $9 and I know at least half of that is the price I would pay for lids and rings. so unless you are finding jars at less than 40 cents each you are wasting your time.
    Auntie likes this.

Over a hill and around a corner on a back road in Southeastern, Ohio
    Not sure where you live but if you have a Menards they aways put them on sale several times a year. I have never found them for a reasonable price used. After buying lids and rings the prices are near new or more. You have to be careful when buying used if you get one thats chipped or cracked then your out and your cost is more. I just stock up when Menards have them on sale. I think pints were around $5 and change last year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Have you tried Ebay ?

I haven't found them at Sam's, what I have I bought at Wallyworld. Closest Menards to here is in Kansas. Target's prices aren't bad.

besides the usual avenues for finding used jars to buy cheap - check with your local auctioneer and estate buyers (junk dealers) .... they run into a basement full of jars and need to move them - usually at a $$$$ loss - it costs more to pack up and transport than what they get at auction ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Retired Moderator

I buy them at ace hardware when they have a sale.
    SittingElf likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Thank you for all the tips! I went out searching for some yesterday. Apparently our Walmart stopped carrying them altogether, except for a stray jar or two in the craft section. Finally found a few boxes at Target for an okay price. There's a great place to buy them by the pallet (or 1/2 pallet) online, but I don't have that chunk of $ right this minute... maybe in a couple months. :/ Went to several stores and couldn't find a new canning funnel anywhere. Mine has gone missing (I blame the toddler).
    bigwheel likes this.

Retired Moderator

Rose check your local Ace. I just picked up some lids and new funnel since the boys used the canning one for filling something.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Rose check your local Ace. I just picked up some lids and new funnel since the boys used the canning one for filling something.
    I will definitely head down to Ace soon to see what they have for the next batch of canning. I went ahead and ordered a funnel and the ball book (time to get some hard copies of resources in case the Net goes down). Should be here by this weekend.
    Auntie likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links