Any one with fruit trees?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Any one with fruit trees? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; So I have several fruit trees that I planted. One pear tree that has been on the property for years before me. Over 275 lbs ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Any one with fruit trees?

So I have several fruit trees that I planted. One pear tree that has been on the property for years before me. Over 275 lbs of pear from that tree this year. I didn't spray it this year with anything so there was some loss from bugs. Anyone know of a good book or books that cover using organic methods on apple and pear trees? I just looking for a more straight approach on what to use and when as my apple trees are just of age to start production.

I think people use plastic bags placed over apples and pears to prevent bugs munching on them. Problem is for a big tree, I imagine takes lots of time. Also if you have plastic sitting under the sun all summer long, some of the estrogen mimicking chemicals might find its way from the plastic to the apple. I am serious about the estrogen part, almost all plastic even NON BPA plastic, have chemicals that for some reason literally act like estrogen.

If you have fruit trees for personal use and SHTF, who cares if some have bugs on them. I personally just eat around it. Not really gross if you think about it, better than spraying. But I understand if you want to sell some of it, you will need to spray.
    Gimble likes this.

Apple and Pear trees are very forgiving. No need to spray. No use to buy any steenken books. If you stoop to peaches and plums holler back.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We have plum trees and blackberry bushes. I never mess with them and still get plenty. We also have pecans and walnuts, never messed with them either. I could probably get more production if I sprayed bit as it is we get plenty. I choose to let nature have its cut and avoid using chemicals. So far so good at casa de Arklatex. Your milage may vary...
    Denton, Slippy, darsk20 and 3 others like this.

Eat the bugs, they're good for you. People worry too much these days.

If only you knew what went into the "real food" at the grocery store...

None

Black rot along with other nasty funguses are common here. Spray something like Captan (available online) next spring 2 weeks after the blooms curl up. Order it this winter because many places run out it you try to order in the Spring.

To answer your question I don't have much for you to go on.

I can tell ya what I do...I have peaches, plums and pears. I dont use any pesticides or fungicides. I loose way more to the Birds picking at the fruit than I do anything else. I do let a few containers of lady bugs and at least one praying mantis egg case loose in my garden every season though. While it doesn't prevent a pest infestation completely it does reduce the losses considerably. I am constantly adding Rabbit Doo from the hutches to the base of the plants on a regular bases. Not sure how much that helps but I do have very healthy vibrant growing trees and perhaps that makes them a little better at brushing off infestations.
    Mule13 and Slippy like this.

Plum curillo moths are a bitch here in God's country. They make a smiley face on soft fruits like plums and peaches. The only cure i have found is malathion about each two weeks starting at bud break. Ideally applied at night since the commie liberals are killing out all our honey bees. No need to help them out by spraying when the bees are active. They try it with apples and pears but the maggots get squashed since the fruit is more dense. They cant live in there. What was the other question?

What spray? I don't spray anything.

We have peach, pear, plum, grapefruit, orange, and fig trees. Hardest part is getting them thru winters. They attract deer Need some apples. Last winter the apple seedlings didn't make it.
    This place has become more disturbing then SHTF.

We have
    Pear
    Peaches
    Plump
    Apricot
    Cheery
    Apple macintosh
    Apple spies
    Apple golden delicious

We have never sprayed.

We loose fruit on
    Plumb