Best Crops for when SHTF - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Best Crops for when SHTF

This is a discussion on Best Crops for when SHTF within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; The best crops to grow if the SHTF are, by far and bar none, the crops you plant LONG BEFORE a SHTF situation arises... perennials ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Best Crops for when SHTF

The best crops to grow if the SHTF are, by far and bar none, the crops you plant LONG BEFORE a SHTF situation arises... perennials that do not require you to become a farmer overnight.

Permaculture and food-bearing perennials are our plan for SHTF food... berry beds, fruit trees, nut trees, perennial crops of all kinds... plus fish in our stocked pond, bees, all kinds of stuff.

If you can't grow crops now, you won't be able to grow crops in a SHTF situation...
    Arklatex, Renec and Slippy like this.

No longer here.

Perhaps as more of a Survivalist than True Prepper, I have a slanted opinion? But as experience in real world SHTF situations has shown me that those in the civilian populace that survive become refugees, just like the immigrants of "OLD" that came to this country with a fig tree etc in thier pack I believe it will be the crops you carry as a migrant that will be of the most use. After-all, if it isn't rough enough to make you leave the homestead is it really SHTF? JMHO.

If you people don't know how to grow a garden. Get started now.

Plant some fruit trees this fall.
    In the spring Alaskan sweet snap pees come up and pick in 56 days. Our kids love them.
    Bartlett pears, apples, squash, potatoes all store for most of the winter in moderate conditions
    Arklatex and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Out of everything that I have grown peppers were the easiest and they produced the most. I grow things in potted plants since I live in a apartment.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OctopusPrime View Post
    Out of everything that I have grown peppers were the easiest and they produced the most. I grow things in potted plants since I live in a apartment.
    Our pepper plants were still producing until this past weekend. Your right they will produce for months.
    OctopusPrime likes this.

Assuming we are speaking an end of the world scenario here..the cops should be real busy or non existent. So a person might consider growing some cannabis. That should make a great barter item in addition to being a integral part of the medicinal first aid kit. Just trying to cover all the bases here. Suspect a person could trade a bit of that off for all the beans and tates they could hold. And it do seem to work a person up a ravenous appetite sometimes. Or least I heard some hippies say that one time.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Assuming we are speaking an end of the world scenario here..the cops should be real busy or non existent. So a person might consider growing some cannabis. That should make a great barter item in addition to being a integral part of the medicinal first aid kit. Just trying to cover all the bases here. Suspect a person could trade a bit of that off for all the beans and tates they could hold. And it do seem to work a person up a ravenous appetite sometimes. Or least I heard some hippies say that one time.
    I've heard such talk as well up around Lake Lewisville on weekends in years back, is that where you heard this as well?......... Some folks might even be getting ahead start and stocking up now.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    That's what she said!

*sorry folks, couldn't resist*

Joking aside it really has to do with your specific location. Annual rainfall, soil composition, access to water, temperature, local pests and the list goes on.

The best bet is to have a garden every year to hone your skills and learn what works well on your property and what doesn't. You will gain valuable experience this way. Much better than waiting until shtf and cracking open a "seed vault" only to find out you have all the wrong stuff. JM2C.
    Couldn't agree more, reading a guide online or having every farmers almanac since 1941 isn't going to help nearly as much as practical experience. Do not wait until you NEED to practice these skills to practice and that isn't particular to farming/gardening. That is like assuming that you are going to be an expert marksman the first time you pick up a rifle, it just doesn't happen.

Wheat , corn, potatoes, tomatoes.
    Wheat n corn would be dual-foods (feed u as well as livestock.) And potatoes are a cornerstone of American diet. And tomatoes just because i like tomato toast.
    tinkerhell likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links