The Best Rice Tip!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Best Rice Tip!

This is a discussion on The Best Rice Tip! within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Here it is - Don't Buy Rice for long-term food storage! Why? Rice costs WATER. Any stored food that requires water for cooking is a ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Best Rice Tip!

The Best Rice Tip!

Here it is - Don't Buy Rice for long-term food storage!

Why? Rice costs WATER. Any stored food that requires water for cooking is a waste of water, which will be precious in a supply shortage (unless you have your own water filtration/cleaning system...). So, if you have stocked up on water, don't waste it on cooking things like rice. Prioritize it for drinking.

What food to buy instead? CANNED food - soups, meat, vegetables, etc. They will only require a pot and a fire for cooking.

This thought came to me while I was wondering if I should buy more rice. Let me know if you have a different idea.

Also thought of something else - I heard if you are in a survival situation and more active you need a lot more calories, so I'm going to start stocking up on peanut butter, a high-fat, high-calorie food.
    Last edited by smokeyquartz; 01-12-2021 at 04:48 PM.
    bigwheel likes this.
    All misspellings and name changes are intentional because online surveillance is conducted through keyword searches by WebCrawlers.

Peanut butter & canned goods are great short term stores, but rice is far superior as a long term store. Many preppers, such as me, will not have a water storage concern. I have a well, pond & water filters. But yes, if you will have issues in having clean water to drink, then rice would not be a great choice.
    Annie, SOCOM42, inceptor and 3 others like this.

The water that the rice absorbs goes into your body needs for water. You just aren’t drinking it.

If I were take your theory farther- Don’t buy dehydrated/freeze dried food because they take water.

A little rice goes well with some fresh game. And it’s a lot lighter than a can.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyquartz View Post
    Here it is - Don't Buy Rice for long-term food storage!

Why? Rice costs WATER. Any stored food that requires water for cooking is a waste of water, which will be precious in a supply shortage (unless you have your own water filtration/cleaning system...). So, if you have stocked up on water, don't waste it on cooking things like rice. Prioritize it for drinking.

What food to buy instead? CANNED food - soups, meat, vegetables, etc. They will only require a pot and a fire for cooking.

This thought came to me while I was wondering if I should buy more rice. Let me know if you have a different idea.

Also thought of something else - I heard if you are in a survival situation and more active you need a lot more calories, so I'm going to start stocking up on peanut butter, a high-fat, high-calorie food.
    Highly good advice on that Sir. I plan to stock up on small cans of beanie weenies. All the food groups in there plus water ya know? I cant stand rice except in Boudan anyway. Thanks.

it is not as if rice feeds half the world!

yes you have to use water to cook rice, you will also use water to make beans, bread, clean your butt, shave...

of course you could just soak the rice in water and then eat it.. no wasted water

but seriously not stocking rice because you are worried about wasting water is a not correct
    inceptor, Slippy, dwight55 and 2 others like this.
    Be a Berean

ever think to add rice to your canned food?
    Slippy, dwight55 and Prepared One like this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Water is the most abundant resource on earth. If you really are in a situation where you would be that hard up for water (like you live in the middle of a desert, which would make other resources pretty hard to find to) then maybe rice isn't the best idea. But then again most long term survival foods need water. It's not like boiling hot dogs where the water is still left in the pan after they're cooked. The rice absorbs the water and you consume it when you eat the rice. Also you don't necessarily have to use filtered water since your boiling it anyway.
    inceptor likes this.

Super Moderator

If you have a water source and a berkey filter, rice is key. At least here in my home, I've gotta have it.
    “Our business is to gain heaven. Everything else is a sheer waste of time.”
    -St. Vincent DePaul

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    ever think to add rice to your canned food?
    I don't think there's enough liquid in the can to cook the rice; in canned stews/soups, it's a pretty thick liquid and not meant for cooking with.
    @Maine-Marine I wouldn't use water for dried beans either. To me, using water for cooking means there's less water available for drinking and bathing. (Someone said the water is soaked up by the rice...next time you're thirsty just eat some rice and see if that satisfies your thirst. It won't). In a time of scarcity, it has to be treated like it's a precious resource, which it is.
    All misspellings and name changes are intentional because online surveillance is conducted through keyword searches by WebCrawlers.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyquartz View Post
    I don't think there's enough liquid in the can to cook the rice; in canned stews/soups, it's a pretty thick liquid and not meant for cooking with.
    @Maine-Marine I wouldn't use water for dried beans either. To me, using water for cooking means there's less water available for drinking and bathing. (Someone said the water is soaked up by the rice...next time you're thirsty just eat some rice and see if that satisfies your thirst. It won't). In a time of scarcity, it has to be treated like it's a precious resource, which it is.
    water can be found/procured...
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links