The Best Rice Tip! - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Best Rice Tip!

This is a discussion on The Best Rice Tip! within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by smokeyquartz @ Redneck About the 30-year lasting rice, this is something I don't understand. SOCOM42 said he stores his in plastic containers ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Best Rice Tip!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyquartz View Post
    @ Redneck

About the 30-year lasting rice, this is something I don't understand. SOCOM42 said he stores his in plastic containers with a special sealant, which I don't have access to. Is this what you are doing? Because my rice has an expiration date of 2022. I'd like to understand this 10+ year lasting rice.
    If I understand correctly you are using enriched rice. Personally I prefer Jasmine also other bagged rice will also store for 30 years. I have some in food grade 5 gallon buckets. Yeah I used a 5 gal mylar bag inside and the same with beans. After much research, I found that most rice and beans will have a 25-30 year life span. I just chose the way I store them for protection from vermin and bugs. A regular bag of 20 lbs of rice only lasts about 6 months here so I leave several just in the bag.

If you do a search for shelf life of products, you will find a variety of answers. Some just follow mfg suggestions. Some will be consistent about the length of time and I would listen to them. Some of the prepper sites also have this information listed.

@SOCOM42 has been doing this for quite a number of years and you should pay attention to him. I have yet to go wrong listening to his advice. He's been around for a long time and I think he may be 3 days older than dirt. He's picked up a lot of knowledge over the years and doesn't mind sharing.
    Annie and SOCOM42 like this.

@ Redneck

About the 30-year lasting rice, this is something I don't understand. SOCOM42 said he stores his in plastic containers with a special sealant, which I don't have access to. Is this what you are doing? Because my rice has an expiration date of 2022. I'd like to understand this 10+ year lasting rice.
    it's not an expiration date on your rice.... it's a best by date..
    Annie likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

keep it dry and you should be fine.. I store mine in leftover 24oz mountain dew bottles, as I have a ton of them, they are air-tight, waterproof, and food grade.
    Annie likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

@ Redneck

I use 6 gallon plastic pails & Mylar bags. So I put an empty Mylar bag in the pail, fill with my food, add oxygen absorbers & desiccants, then quickly use my heat sealer to seal all the way across the top of the Mylar bag except for about a 1/2" gap. I then fold & squish the top of the bag until most excess air is removed, and then complete the seal. I then run a 2nd seal across the top as an added precaution. I then put a lid on the pail, write the contents & date on the outside of the pail, and then put in my storage room that never gets above the low 60s.

It is widely established that foods such as white rice, wheat berries, rolled oats, dried beans, dried pasta, etc. will remain safe to eat for 25-30 years... or more if stored in a dark, dry, cool environment.
    Annie, Robie, SOCOM42 and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator

@ Redneck

This week we ate rice I'd packaged in 2016. It was vacuum sealed in a mason jar w/oxy absorber. Tasted fine. Muy bueno. No problemo.
    inceptor likes this.
    “Our business is to gain heaven. Everything else is a sheer waste of time.”
    -St. Vincent DePaul

I live in southern AZ, where water is scarce. Rice is big part of my supplies for many reasons. And as 2020 Convert said, the water in the rice goes into your body.
    2020 Convert and SOCOM42 like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

When I first started out putting away food, I had to devise my own way of prepping it.

There was no internet that you could google anything, no google either, that was 40 years ago.

I did know about Mountain House food and their process, so I set up to do the same thing.

Nitrogen, Argon, CO2 and O2 are gasses that I had/have on the shop floor at all times.

Today it is Mylar, O2 and moisture eaters into 7-1/2 gallon pails that are used.

The plastic pails came from St. Joseph's Abby in Spencer Ma.

The pails contained preservatives which they repackage into small jars and sell them in their store and other places.

I had hundreds of them for free, every so often they would have need of my shop services.

They would bring about a hundred buckets and a couple cases of preserves as a thank you.

I vac. pack frozen stuff to prevent freezer burn, but airtight integrity is all to often lost in aftermath.

I had posted a picture of a comm. shelter with those filled buckets a while back.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-13-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    inceptor and Annie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    it is not as if rice feeds half the world!

yes you have to use water to cook rice, you will also use water to make beans, bread, clean your butt, shave...

of course you could just soak the rice in water and then eat it.. no wasted water

but seriously not stocking rice because you are worried about wasting water is a not correct
    Well as all us all raw Vegans know the rice the world lives on isnt the same as what we eat. In India for example the rice is so contaminated by incect parts and rodent droppings it packs as much protein and B vitamins as a T bone steak.
    inceptor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    I live in southern AZ, where water is scarce. Rice is big part of my supplies for many reasons. And as 2020 Convert said, the water in the rice goes into your body.
    Thank you! In my younger days, I was a wrestler and counted every ounce that went in and out to make weight. Same theory applies here.

Rice isn’t like pasta where water is wasted.
    inceptor, Maine-Marine and SOCOM42 like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Well as all us all raw Vegans know the rice the world lives on isnt the same as what we eat. In India for example the rice is so contaminated by incect parts and rodent droppings it packs as much protein and B vitamins as a T bone steak.
    Blech. Where's that throwing up smiley @Robie ?
    inceptor likes this.
    “Our business is to gain heaven. Everything else is a sheer waste of time.”
    -St. Vincent DePaul

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links