Food storage mistakes.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food storage mistakes.

This is a discussion on Food storage mistakes. within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I thought it might be useful to share some of my own mishaps, and perhaps others might want to share as well. Like most here ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Food storage mistakes.

Super Moderator

Food storage mistakes.

I thought it might be useful to share some of my own mishaps, and perhaps others might want to share as well. Like most here who are putting back food for hard times, I've

got a few different levels of storage. Some stuff that I intend to use within a year and other things in 5-10 years and finally stuff that is supposed to last me 25 years. Of

course the real long term stuff is going to lose a lot of nutrition, but it's goal is merely to sustain life. That real long term stuff is more about me not wanting actually have to

rotate through it unless I really have to.

Alright, that said, often times I'd just bring home certain items from the store knowing I wasn't going to keep them more than a year. So as a result they'd be left in the

original packaging in the panty downstairs. Well, we had some work done on the house last fall that left the basement area open for a couple months and a crew of guys

working down there six days a week.

So, needless to say I kept my pantry locked up. Then unfortunately in came the critters. Mice and rats. They chewed through peanut butter jars, jelly jars, bottles of ranch dressing, bbq

sauce bottles...Mylar bags of Mrs Fields red sauce and salsa canning mix.

And I keep poison traps out, but lemme tell you they like people food much better. I'll include some pics.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and Iím gonna kick you ítil youíre dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Sardines. Yes, they could swell through the packaging somehow.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Slippy, Inor, Prepared One and 1 others like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and Iím gonna kick you ítil youíre dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Super Moderator

They got into the BOBS and ate some MRE's. They even got into EMPTY mylar bags and oxy absorbers--I kid you not. Folks, if there's any possibility of rodents, it's gonna during an SHFT situation, so don't do what I have done.

Now I keep anything that's not rodent proof in the fridge or freezer or in galvanized metal trash cans. BTW, it wasn't an issue in the kitchen, only in the basement.
    Slippy, Prepared One and 65mustang like this.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Heck they ate my sisters Jeep to the point it wouldn't even start. Chewed the wiring harness clean through. So I can imagine what they'd chew into for a meal.

Have to stay on the traps and poison year round. Last winter was a record for numbers of mice that I've seen in years.
    Last edited by Chipper; 05-01-2020 at 02:22 PM.
    Annie, Slippy and 65mustang like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Heck they ate my sisters Jeep to the point it wouldn't even start. Chewed the wiring harness clean through. So I can imagine what they'd chew into for a meal.

Have to stay on the traps and poison year round. Last winter was a record for numbers of mice that I've seen in years.
    Yeah, they even got some wood chips that had oil in it down there in my basement. I think it's okay now, though. I keep the dry dog food in a metal can. Rice in another can, pasta in a third and so on.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    ... Mice and rats. They chewed through peanut butter jars, jelly jars, bottles of ranch dressing, bbq

sauce bottles...Mylar bags of Mrs Fields red sauce and salsa canning mix....
    How did they chew through jelly jars? Or..was the jelly in plastic like the peanut butter?
    If you do any canning - were there any rodent issues with things in glass jars?
    Thanks!
    Annie, Slippy and 65mustang like this.
    Vanished, into the mist.

All my rat susceptible stores are in the kitchen cabinets or in the comm shelters which are rat,

mouse and bug proof, they will float without taking in any water.

Much of my stores are in 20MM cans and the contents are vac packed with O2 eaters.

Each shelter also has a minimum of 5K of assorted primary ammo and mags in cans.

Several of the shelters are piled right to the ceilings , I have shown pics of them before.

I had a rat or mouse eat the plastic handle coatings off of a pair of Weiss sheet metal cutters a few years ago, they were in the shop.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-01-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    Slippy and 65mustang like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    How did they chew through jelly jars? Or..was the jelly in plastic like the peanut butter?
    If you do any canning - were there any rodent issues with things in glass jars?
    Thanks!
    We have a little of everything category-wise. Our canned jams and jellies are all fine, but the jellies that I got at the store were all mostly chewed through. But all my home canned meats are fine. Canned veggies, too.

Oh, yeah, and if you have #10 cans, use the plastic lids to cover the tops. It really does protect them! I'll take a pic and show you what I mean.
    Last edited by Annie; 05-01-2020 at 03:09 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    We have a little of everything category-wise. Our canned jams and jellies are all fine, but the jellies that I got at the store were all mostly chewed through. But all my home canned meats are fine.

Oh, yeah, and if you have #10 cans, use the plastic lids to cover the tops. It really does protect them! I'll take a pic and show you what I mean.
    Lemme try again, lol

When I buy jelly at the store, it's Smucker's and in a glass jar.

Is the jelly you buy at the store in a glass jar?
    If rodents have upgraded and can now chew through glass jars & their metal lids - I wanna know about it!

Thanks!
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post

Yeah, when that happened on my Escape, the dealership told me it was because the insulation is soy based. Yes, they use rodent food to make your car.
    Slippy and 65mustang like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links