Food storage mistakes. - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food storage mistakes.

This is a discussion on Food storage mistakes. within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by Prepared One I keep different traps around my house. I have had mice and even rats on occasion. They like to get ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Food storage mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I keep different traps around my house. I have had mice and even rats on occasion. They like to get up under the decks in the back yard. When My dog was alive she used to run em down, hell I have even popped a few with my BB gun. So, I have an assortment of mouse, rat traps, and poison, on hand. Rats will be a big problem when the lights go out.

All of my food preps are in the house and I don't have much a problem with mice in the house but I am always on the look out for them. My wife hats them. I came home from a business trip one time not long ago and it was late so she was already in bed. I turn on the lights in the kitchen and on the white board hanging on the fridge in big bold letters "I SAW A MOUSE IN MY KITCHEN! FIND IT! AND KILL IT!"

The woman will defend a stupid cat with her life but has no mercy whatsoever for a mouse.
    When getting educated, I rented a log home house with 3 friends up in the hills far away from school. It was wilderness out the back door, deer moose bears. Had a brook full of trout right by the house, it ran downstream, 2 miles to the town dump. Rats love dumps and follow water......

We had dogs and kept their dry food in a bowl out on the porch. Nightime the dogs came in, and we noticed the dog bowl was more empty in the AM?

One Fryday night, after coming home last call, we were still up with the light on for the porch. I noticed a fat rat, scurrying up to dogs bowl, grabbing what it could hold, then going under the porch.....

The window got propped open and the 22LR loaded (didn't have an air rifle handy), proceeded to pop rats until they wised up. Then we trapped them out. House was solid, they never got inside. Would have been a breeding problem if not noticed/dealt with.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    When getting educated, I rented a log home house with 3 friends up in the hills far away from school. It was wilderness out the back door, deer moose bears. Had a brook full of trout right by the house, it ran downstream, 2 miles to the town dump. Rats love dumps and follow water......

We had dogs and kept their dry food in a bowl out on the porch. Nightime the dogs came in, and we noticed the dog bowl was more empty in the AM?

One Fryday night, after coming home last call, we were still up with the light on for the porch. I noticed a fat rat, scurrying up to dogs bowl, grabbing what it could hold, then going under the porch.....

The window got propped open and the 22LR loaded (didn't have an air rifle handy), proceeded to pop rats until they wised up. Then we trapped them out. House was solid, they never got inside. Would have been a breeding problem if not noticed/dealt with.
    Rats love dog food.
    65mustang and SOCOM42 like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and Iím gonna kick you ítil youíre dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Super Moderator

I thought I'd cleared out everything they got. Didn't cross my mind to check this stuff[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-

cdn.com/20200801/9a5e59019ac40933ab1a9ff16589562f.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Annie; 08-01-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    Michael_Js likes this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and Iím gonna kick you ítil youíre dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Look how they went for the mylar bags. It's as if they've been trained that shiny bags equals food

Michael_Js likes this.

Hidden Content

Yeah, I learned about those little bastards a long time ago.

When I was a kid, they would get into the pantry and destroy stuff.

I use to shoot them in the cellar with a 22 after school and later at night down there.

Shooting them there and later on at the dump made me real good with a rifle.

Well they can't do that here, If they can, I'll need a 416 Rigby to deal with them.

My stores are in those rat proof military comm shelters and in 20 MM cans.

None of my soft packaged stuff is exposed for their pleasure.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-01-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Annie and Michael_Js like this.

Super Moderator

My dad told me he used to shoot the rats at the city dump. Back in those days you could get a junior rat Shooters voucher and go off and do it legally. He was a Brooklyn boy @SOCOM42 NYC!

Last edited by Annie; 08-01-2020 at 08:21 AM.
    SOCOM42 and Michael_Js like this.

Hidden Content

We should start a new thread, Mouser/Barn cats and varmint dogs

I guess I've been very lucky, any rodent vulnerable foods like Mylar pouches are stored in 5 gallon pails.
    While a determined rodent could get into it, so far so good. But down here in AZ the snakes seem to do
    a great job in rodent patrol. In 7 years, everything I've trapped has been pack rats and they've always
    been outside. Having a stucco wall, I check the soffit/facia vents every 3 months, to make sure the wire
    mesh is intack and no rat holes. They can can really be monsters if they get into the attic. Most of the
    time the rats seem to be happy eating the cactus plants around the house. They especially love the seed
    pods on the cactus, so I pick the pods asap. My favorite rat hunter is a pair of Cooper hawks who have
    settled in my area a few years ago. The especially like my bird bath. Harold, the male, love to sit and
    cool his feet 2-3 times a day in it. His mate seems satisfied to just drink. So far, we've seen the remains
    of a few critters around the area right after we find a bunch of fur or feathers on the ground next to the
    bird baths. We added a ground lever bath for the ground critters. The only bad thing is we get the
    javalinas visit the ground bath at night. But I figure if the SHTF, they'll add to my food supply.
    We also have a few Great Horned owls around the house, too. One loves to sit on the ham antenna
    because it's a really high look out spot. Sorry about going off topic.
    Food storage mistakes.-img_3405.jpg
    Name:  IMG_3375B.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  60.3 KB
    SOCOM42, paulag1955 and inceptor like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    My dad told me he used to shoot the rats at the city dump. Back in those days you could get a junior rat Shooters voucher and go off and do it legally. He was a Brooklyn boy @SOCOM42 NYC!

No such voucher here.

The rifle I used had a Hiram Maxim silencer on it, added a flashlight to it.

At 15 feet you could not hear it go off, used standard velocity rounds and a red filter on the light.

I was given the rifle with attached piece as a gift from a person that was moving away.

Filter came from a war surplus store in the big city, had to cut to fit.

Was against the law to shoot where I did, went through 100-200 every friday and saturday night.

Oh, I had to walk a mile at night in the woods to get there on the other side of the hill, went home at first light..
    Annie likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links