Food storage mistakes. - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food storage mistakes.

This is a discussion on Food storage mistakes. within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Dang @ Annie Crazy rats youse guys got there in Jersey! Time to up the game and get every kind of mouse/rat trap that you ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Food storage mistakes.

Dang @Annie

Crazy rats youse guys got there in Jersey!

Time to up the game and get every kind of mouse/rat trap that you can find. Then get a Yorkshire Terrier. (our little "ratter" is relentless!...even though I kinda hate his guts, the little bastard! ) Then get 2 barn cats. When the dogs run off the feral barn cats (moment of silence) go back to every kind of mouse/rat trap that you can find.

At least thats what I did!
    MountainGirl, Annie, Inor and 1 others like this.

Rats/mice/tree and ground rats...... I kill them if in/near/around the house. Don't wait, kill them ASAP. DON'T BE A CRUNCHY @#@K!

Put food in METAL, or 1/4" mesh wire lined places.

Little basturds will go into your coat if you leave a candy bar inside.

Leave baited traps in home and all outbuildings. I use the "spinning mouse trap", upgrade larger for squirrels/groundhogs/ etc...
    Slippy likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Dang @Annie

Crazy rats youse guys got there in Jersey!

Time to up the game and get every kind of mouse/rat trap that you can find. Then get a Yorkshire Terrier. (our little "ratter" is relentless!...even though I kinda hate his guts, the little bastard! ) Then get 2 barn cats. When the dogs run off the feral barn cats (moment of silence) go back to every kind of mouse/rat trap that you can find.

At least thats what I did!
    My Shepherd Husky mutt got a rat for me. He got it and killed it in his jaws. I grabbed him by the collar, took him outside and told him "release" and he did. Good boy. I was so proud. Then I took him to the vet because I didn't want him to get an infection or something.
    MountainGirl and 65mustang like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Lemme try again, lol

When I buy jelly at the store, it's Smucker's and in a glass jar.

Is the jelly you buy at the store in a glass jar?
    If rodents have upgraded and can now chew through glass jars & their metal lids - I wanna know about it!

Thanks!
    No, no, no. Only the plastic stuff.
    MountainGirl likes this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Anytime I've used traps, it's usually only good for one or two rats......then they get smart and stay away. Been spending a small fortune on poison and seems to just keep feeding them since it takes several days to 2 weeks to take effect. I've tried Ramik before, bought a 4lb bag of it, put some out and the rest on top of the freezer outside...….they ate all I put out AND the rest of the bag. And I still had rats.

I've also tried a home recipe of peanut butter with baking soda...supposedly rats can't burp and the soda does a number on their tummy (blows up?), they just kept eating it.

Now i'm working with Rodentex and down to the last pound bar, after going thru 4-4lb boxes in the last 2 weeks. Tomorrow I'll set out the last of it. I will say the dogs found one dead rat, that I had to fight the JRT to get rid of it, and they've slowed down taking the bait but they still do.

Next up is Just One Bite...….which is supposed to be as good as the name. We'll see about that in a few days.

All my food stores are inside the house and my chicken feed is kept in metal garbage cans. But I have to pick up the chicken feeder at night or they'll get it. In the past, I have had rats kill and eat some chicks and they've chewed on some of the adult chickens too and chewed thru the floor of the coop that used to be used for a garden shed, to the point it wasn't safe for human or animal to walk on.
    Inor and Annie like this.

For rodents, I keep two of these in the basement, and one upstairs at all times, gives you fair warning. I keep two in all the outbuildings also.

Name:  mouse trap jpeg.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  36.0 KB

You can buy thick galvanized wire mesh with ~1/4" square mesh size. That is rodent proof. I have a cabinet in the kitchen that has vent holes in the back, it got raided by mice. I stapled the wire mesh over the whole rear of cabinet and no mice in years have got in. The mesh also works great in the root cellar to mouse proof it. I did all the walls, ceiling and door.

Name:  1 wire mesh.png
Views: 44
Size:  197.1 KB

I can get 55-gal metal food grade drums for $25. They have the large detachable metal lid with metal band to lock the cover on. Rodent proof. In fact, I use one for a garbage can as they are better, and less expensive, than store brought and are varmint proof. Wonderful for food storage too. I use them for grain and seed storage in the barns.

Name:  1 barrel.png
Views: 46
Size:  113.1 KB

My "trash can" got tested last month. One morning I went to put out the trash, and it was gone! It was not a wind storm that evening so I looked around............there was the barrel over by the barn. It had scratches and muddy paw prints all over it........but the lid was still on.

And the "varmint" is ~ 500 lbs.

Food storage mistakes.-bennyx.jpg

P.S. For barrel lids, use a piece of thick wire, or spring pin, on the locking ring as a safety. The ring latches are already drilled to accept one. Bears are pretty smart....

Name:  1 Spring pin.png
Views: 42
Size:  23.2 KB
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 05-02-2020 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    My Shepherd Husky mutt got a rat for me. He got it and killed it in his jaws. I grabbed him by the collar, took him outside and told him "release" and he did. Good boy. I was so proud. Then I took him to the vet because I didn't want him to get an infection or something.
    Shouldn't let the pooch/cat eat vermin, as they often wander about after being poisoned. Unless you are away from neighbors and you don't poison.

Dogs and cats were domesticated in a large part to deal with varmints/vermin. If your pets deal with varmints make sure they have immunizations for rabies, and dogs for distemper. The farms around where I grew up all had ~1/2 dozen barn cats and a few dogs. The dog which was my friend/companion growing up, would catch woodchucks, then eat them.

A variety of traps work but you have got to know how to use them. I find "new" ones/styles are worse than old.

My Uncles taught me how to fur trap, and much of that knowledge applies to pests. They supported the grandparents family in the 1930s depression trapping fur.

If you make a "cubbie" for a mouse/rat trap, much less chance of the vermin "jumping" the trap when it springs. Put the trap in a milk carton cut in half, or a soup can. Also, the tension trigger to spring commercial mouse/rat traps is set much to high, adjust them to a hair trigger. Watch out for rat traps, if you get careless they can put a hurting on a finger or thumb. Rat traps also work in barns for chipmunks/red squirrels.

Another thing you can do for bait stealers, is to save grisle/meat scraps for bait. Wire that to the trigger with bread loaf twist ties. Besides the standard peanut butter, bacon grease is a great bait but not durable, use that with a meat scrap.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post

I can get 55-gal metal food grade drums for $25. They have the large detachable metal lid with metal band to lock the cover on. Rodent proof. In fact, I use one for a garbage can as they are better, and less expensive, than store brought and are varmint proof. Wonderful for food storage too. I use them for grain and seed storage in the barns.

Name:  1 barrel.png
Views: 46
Size:  113.1 KB
    Where did you get these? I'd love some up here. Thanks!
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Where did you get these? I'd love some up here. Thanks!
    Local Craigslist/Vermont, pickup only. The seller has a food processor source and takes a big 5th wheel trailer then transports them. I think he gets them free?

Only 55-gal metal w/removable tops. But small-large (10-55 gal) plastic food grade, removable and bung type tops. Also food grade 280-gal totes.

I use the totes for water collection/storage.
    65mustang and MountainGirl like this.

I keep different traps around my house. I have had mice and even rats on occasion. They like to get up under the decks in the back yard. When My dog was alive she used to run em down, hell I have even popped a few with my BB gun. So, I have an assortment of mouse, rat traps, and poison, on hand. Rats will be a big problem when the lights go out.

All of my food preps are in the house and I don't have much a problem with mice in the house but I am always on the look out for them. My wife hats them. I came home from a business trip one time not long ago and it was late so she was already in bed. I turn on the lights in the kitchen and on the white board hanging on the fridge in big bold letters "I SAW A MOUSE IN MY KITCHEN! FIND IT! AND KILL IT!"

The woman will defend a stupid cat with her life but has no mercy whatsoever for a mouse.
    65mustang and JustAnotherNut like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links