Need help with amounts to store
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Need help with amounts to store within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Hey everyone I am new here and in need of some simplification. My wife and I do foster care and have 5 kids we are ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Need help with amounts to store

Hey everyone I am new here and in need of some simplification. My wife and I do foster care and have 5 kids we are in various stages of adopting. These kids are depending on us and I need to get storage right.

In a time when these things would be needed we are well set for hunting, fishing, and gardening. We run a small raised bed garden currently each year just to keep our skills focused and continue learning.

I need help with for storage. I can go but canned goods no problem that has already started and if easy just to have some on hand. I need help with bucket/mylar storage. I just can't figure out how much of each item I should store. I know I'll need about 25 buckets per person. At 7 people that's 175. I've started on rice and have a few of those done already. Can someone please provide me with a list of how much of each item I should do. I can't figure out if I need 23 buckets of rice and two of beans etc. (Yes I know 23 buckets of rice for over person is silly.) 😆 That's the problem. I don't know how to break this down. Funds are limited so I need to get this right the first time. I've looked online for something that would give me this info but just can't seem to find it. Thanks everyone!
    Crunch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chowder007 View Post
    Hey everyone I am new here and in need of some simplification. My wife and I do foster care and have 5 kids we are in various stages of adopting. These kids are depending on us and I need to get storage right.

In a time when these things would be needed we are well set for hunting, fishing, and gardening. We run a small raised bed garden currently each year just to keep our skills focused and continue learning.

I need help with for storage. I can go but canned goods no problem that has already started and if easy just to have some on hand. I need help with bucket/mylar storage. I just can't figure out how much of each item I should store. I know I'll need about 25 buckets per person. At 7 people that's 175. I've started on rice and have a few of those done already. Can someone please provide me with a list of how much of each item I should do. I can't figure out if I need 23 buckets of rice and two of beans etc. (Yes I know 23 buckets of rice for over person is silly.) �� That's the problem. I don't know how to break this down. Funds are limited so I need to get this right the first time. I've looked online for something that would give me this info but just can't seem to find it. Thanks everyone!
    OK my bad for my earlier post about your math skills, I see what you are trying to do.

Do not over think this, buy what you and your family eat and buy extra every so often until you get a surplus and then rotate.

I do not subscribe to over-analyzing calorie count for storage. Buy extra's ever week or so as your funds allow and before you know it you will have a nice cushion. Then start looking at slowly getting some long term storage food together that you may not rotate for a few years. Just my 2 cents so you won't waste yours!
    Denton, Inor, Prepared One and 2 others like this.

Thanks for the reply. We have a decent stick of the little ever day things. That's what I'm saying. We are ready to start with long term storage. I have to know what I need or else I sit and never get anything. It's just the way my brain works. I have to have data before I can begin. It's like telling an person stricken with anxiety to just stop being anxious. 😆
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Thanks for the reply. We have a decent stick of the little ever day things. That's what I'm saying. We are ready to start with long term storage. I have to know what I need or else I sit and never get anything. It's just the way my brain works. I have to have data before I can begin. It's like telling an person stricken with anxiety to just stop being anxious.
    So, what variables are you looking at? Number of people, climate, ability to grow, etc.

What's it going to hurt to store too much? What? You survive for too long? You have storage to give to someone who didn't store enough?
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Storing extra would be great. Still want to get the right amount of each item for my family to survive first. Also we are limited on storage space.

Storing extra would be great. Still want to get the right amount of each item for my family to survive first. Also we are limited on storage space.
    Calm...

I agree 110% with my pal @Slippy . Buy what you eat now. You sure as hell do not want to be changing up your diet in a stressful situation. That ABSOLUTELY guarantees the squirts and NOTHING gained from your supper.

When Mrs Inor and I started planning this whole lifestyle, we planned on about 3000 calories per day. That turned out to be a bit high even working in a hard physical environment. We found about 2300 calories per day is about optimal. For the two of us, we have 25, 5 gallon pails with bare-bones basics in roughly equal amounts (flour, sugar, rice, salt), and from our experience that is about a 15 month supply.

Do NOT waste the space storing pasta, as every prepping YouTube suggests you should do!!! Pasta is painfully easy to make and takes a lot less space in ingredient form than pasta form. It sounds as though you have gardens set up, so do not waste the space storing beans. They are easy to grow anywhere.

My best advice to you is look at every prepper video you see on YouTube and the stuff they DEMAND you store, and ask yourself: "How hard would it be to learn to make that whatever"? And then, go learn to make it. Follow the videos for learning to make cheese, sausage, soap, etc. THAT lifestyle will not only give give you a HUGE amount of confidence, you will also be living much better than you are now on store bought shit.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

The LDS calculator might help? https://providentliving.com/prepared...rage/foodcalc/

If you need numbers on how many pounds of wheat, rice, sugar, etc a 5-6 gallon bucket will hold I can list those out.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

I have a different take on storing food. I am keeping it simple and making it easy. Anything that requires a lot of time and effort to make you most likely wont have time for. Eating is one of my joys but when the lights go out I won't have time for a lot of cooking. Rice, beans, pasta, and instant potatoes, are fast and easy, store lots of spices and keep a store of vitamins . Soups and canned meats along with meat in the freezer will stretch your long term storage even farther and give you some diversity. Supplemented with hunting, fishing, and your garden, you should be in good shape. Store what you eat and buy a little extra each trip to the store, a can here, a bag of rice there, next thing you know you have storage.
    Inor likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

My take is a little different. When the lights go out, I want life to be as normal as possible. I don't want to be eating stuff we would never eat when the lights are on.

So if you are short-term set, like it sounds as if you are, you need to get a grip on what you consume NOW per unit time and using whatever metric suits you. Could be calorie consumption (kids are no doubt growing so factor that in), could be pounds of rice or cans of beans or whatever. You could just keep track of this for a month or so, you could start collecting your weekly grocery store receipts, could just sit down and ask how many 5-pound bags of potatoes you go through each month. And then if you've no way of storing fresh potatoes, how does that translate into canned?

I am not a fan of doing things the prescribed way-- how does someone on YouTube know how my family operates?

For me, bottom line for prepping is that the past and present inform the future. Keep in mind that your kids are creatures of habit (we all are). They want cereal for breakfast, one hates bologna sandwiches, etc. They're foster kids which probably means they've had less than safe, secure, warm lives. They are with you now. If SHTF don't you want to provide them with as much comfort as possible? Habits are comfortable. So not to sound all preachy here, but in your circumstances, I'd prep based on how you live-- at least as close as possible to that.

Like everyone else, my $0.02.
    Last edited by Marica; 01-14-2020 at 09:14 AM. Reason: typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post

Do NOT waste the space storing pasta...o!!! Pasta is painfully easy to make and takes a lot less space in ingredient form than pasta form.
    I agree with this 100%
    Be a Berean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links