Anyone here dehydrate your own foods?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Anyone here dehydrate your own foods? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; As another form of preserving foods for long term. Many of you have purchased prepackaged dehydrated or freeze dried foods in your stash, but have ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Anyone here dehydrate your own foods?

As another form of preserving foods for long term. Many of you have purchased prepackaged dehydrated or freeze dried foods in your stash, but have you considered dehydrating your own?

Most fruits do just fine sliced onto a tray, but things like apples, pears or bananas just need a pre-treatment of either Fruit Fresh, dipped in lemon juice or a salted water bath to prevent browning. You can also dip in honey or spice up the apples with some cinnamon/sugar, but may get sticky

Veggies usually need to be blanched (briefly dipped in boiling water, then into cold water).

Meat is also possible, but needs to be trimmed of all fat, cooked and rinsed before dehydrating.

Eggs are another one.....just scramble the eggs till almost frothy & pour onto fruit leather sheets and dehydrate. Once it's dried, it does leave it kind of oily feeling but run it thru a blender or grinder to make powder, then spread on the sheets again to dry another half hour......to reconstitute, add 2 Tablespoons water to 1 Tablespoon egg powder for large egg. 3 water to 1 1/2 egg for extra large. You won't get sunnyside up, but it does work great for baking and if you add a drop of oil to the mix, scrambled eggs are good too. I haven't tried them for omelettes yet, but they should work just as well

Potato slices, or even 'flakes' to make mashed potatoes are also possible, but works best if they are cooked first. Boiled is probably best. Then slice onto the tray, or mash and spread on the fruit leather sheets. For flakes, once the taters are dry, run thru a blender or grinder.

I've also done orange, lemon and lime slices, plus the used peels.....its a way to add flavor & vitamin C to water for drinking or used in recipes.

Even things like kale, spinach, lettuces, other greens including carrot & radish tops has great nutrition. These greens are also powdered, then added to recipes like any seasoning for the nutritional value.

Tomatoes can be sliced onto the trays and either left as slices or ground to a powder. Add to tomato based dishes for extra tomato flavor and/or to thicken tomato sauce.

Pumpkin or squash can be done & used the same as tomato. Soup is another possible use.

I have two dehydrators. I could use another and/or larger one, as large amounts of things often need processing before they spoil. If the weather is good pre-drying in the sun or an oven helps.

Sliced fruit will brown if not treated. I dip in lemon juice, it adds some flavor. Also have citric and ascorbic acids that can be made into solutions, and used like lemon juice. Peaches and apples from the orchard mostly. Dried peaches are excellent, almost like eating candy.

Spices are also good to dehydrate and need no treatment. I do oregano, basil, thyme, sage, parsley, mint, and dill.... and catnip for the kittys.

I've also done wild mushrooms in the spring/fall. Morels, Chicken/sulfur and Hen of the Woods. Thin slice and dry until crisp/snaps.

Peppers dry well. Slice large ones, cayenne and habaneros whole. The cayenne gets crushed as needed for red pepper flakes.

I put all these up in mason/canning jars. Sterilize the jars/lids first. Then I put the loaded jars, lids loose, in the oven on a very low/lowest heat. When warmed, secure lids and cool. The lids will seal as if canned, airtight. Store in cool dark place.

I try to use up all fruit in a year. Mushrooms and spices have lasted several years.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 11-06-2019 at 02:36 AM.

We love our dehydrator! The problem is that we eat the food so fast that we don't usually are able to store it for long term!

Funny story that I may have posted on earlier this summer; I dehydrated a bunch of Habenero Peppers this summer and their evil emissions ran us out the house!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Mostly herbs but I'm planning on trying citrus peel this winter. Has anyone done this?
    Slippy and JustAnotherNut like this.

My girlfriend won't eat peaches, "they're too FUZZY!!!"

But I have to hide the dehydrated slices, because she's like a crack addict, when she starts on the dry slices......whole quart in one sitting
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 11-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Slippy, JustAnotherNut and Annie like this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    We love our dehydrator! The problem is that we eat the food so fast that we don't usually are able to store it for long term!

Funny story that I may have posted on earlier this summer; I dehydrated a bunch of Habenero Peppers this summer and their evil emissions ran us out the house!
    when I read the headline of the thread I immediately recalled your experience with the peppers... too funny... but good lesson!
    Slippy likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

I love dehydrated tomatoes with a little salt and oregano. I also dehydrate apples and deer or beef jerky.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Some we do. But like others here we tend to eat it quickly
    jimb1972 likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Got into dehydrating many moons ago. Aint done it lately. My Daddy often said the best thing for broke hungry folks to eat was dried apples and a glass of buttermilk. He say that makes the apples swell up and make a person feel full as a tick without much expenditures.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Mostly herbs but I'm planning on trying citrus peel this winter. Has anyone done this?

Yes I have dried the leftover peels from lemons and limes.....but I haven't tried using them yet to know if it's worth the effort.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links