Anyone here dehydrate your own foods? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Anyone here dehydrate your own foods?

This is a discussion on Anyone here dehydrate your own foods? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by Gunn I have and still dehydrate things and have had great luck. But never had luck with potatoes. Now I know why. ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Anyone here dehydrate your own foods?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    I have and still dehydrate things and have had great luck. But never had luck with potatoes. Now I know why. Thank you for the tip. My 10 year old grandson made his first jerky on our dehydrator just three weeks ago.
    just remember, don't add any type of fat when prepping them for the dehydrator. Like with mashed potatoes, when we mash them for a meal and add some butter & milk......don't do that, if you plan on dehydrating them. Add the butter & milk when you reconstitute, if you must.
    Gunn and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunn View Post
    Also try storing them in the mylar vacuum bags. I also like the Boise State Broncos.
    I haven't been a fan of the mylar or even the regular vacuum seal bags. I just like using canning jars as there easy to open you can reuse the lids if you open carefully and don't bend them. Also its so easy to open and use some and reseal. A little more cost involved but they last forever and you can see the product. If I was freeze drying I would go with the mylar bags. One day in the future I do plan to start freeze drying fruit.
    Joe and bigwheel like this.

Joe

We have an Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator that is worth its weight in gold. We have dehydrated peas, carrots, corn, apples, onions, tomatoes and squash. like @Broncosfan we then vaccuum pack them into pint canning jars. makes for awesome long term storage.
    Broncosfan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm wondering if this is a good approach: Cook then dehydrate rice. Can it, and have a bunch of rice on hand that does not consume a bunch of fuel and time to cook when/if needed. I see videos talking about taking steps to kill insect eggs when canning rice, but is that necessary if the rice is cooked then dehydrated? Also, are oxygen absorbers necessary with dehydrated rice? Any thoughts on how long canned, dehydrated rice will keep?
    bigwheel likes this.

@pricket, I think that some have tried the "cook then dehy the rice" and it doesn't work?
    Why not just use instant rice?
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Google Wendy DeWitt. She's got a lot of info on food storage.

JustAnotherNut likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    @pricket, I think that some have tried the "cook then dehy the rice" and it doesn't work?
    Why not just use instant rice?
    Instant rice is 4X more expensive.

What problems did people have with dehydrating rice? Seems like it'd be pretty simple (I've only just started dehydrating, so I'm a noob)

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    I'm wondering if this is a good approach: Cook then dehydrate rice. Can it, and have a bunch of rice on hand that does not consume a bunch of fuel and time to cook when/if needed. I see videos talking about taking steps to kill insect eggs when canning rice, but is that necessary if the rice is cooked then dehydrated? Also, are oxygen absorbers necessary with dehydrated rice? Any thoughts on how long canned, dehydrated rice will keep?
    The book I read on Mormon food prep is they put dry goods like dry beans..rice..wheat etc. in five gallon plastic buckets and place a chunk of dry ice on top. Since Co2 is heavier than air it sinks into the bucket and replaces the O2 with Co2 and keeps it from hatching weevils. Put the lid on right quick and seal it up with duct tape...then when you get at least four full buckets use it to put your box springs and mattress on top of the buckets instead of the bed frame. Six buckets would prob be best. sounded like a good plan to me. Guess it would last 20 years or so. Prob wouldnt hurt to drop a couple of paper towels in it to work as a dessicant. Dont do it out in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by prickett View Post
    Instant rice is 4X more expensive.

What problems did people have with dehydrating rice? Seems like it'd be pretty simple (I've only just started dehydrating, so I'm a noob)
    If you have a dehydrator, then cook up some rice. Say, 1 cup. Dehydrate it. Then rehydrate it. Let us know what you find out.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    If you have a dehydrator, then cook up some rice. Say, 1 cup. Dehydrate it. Then rehydrate it. Let us know what you find out.
    Experiment complete. Complete success! Cooked rice, dehydrated for 5 hours, added to boiling water, let sit for 5 minutes. Tasted like rice should taste!

Not sure why anyone would say it doesn't work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links