Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner

This is a discussion on Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut The biggest and most important differences between the two....are length of time they are designed to work for. A pressure cooker ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    The biggest and most important differences between the two....are length of time they are designed to work for.

A pressure cooker is designed to cook a meal within minutes, while a pressure canner is designed to process foods over a longer timeframe.....say 90+ minutes, depending on the product. A cooker is not reliable to hold a steady pressure or complete seal of the unit over the longer time needed for canning.

You can cook a meal in a pressure cooker, but do not use for canning purposes. You must use a pressure canner.

Although in a pressure canner, you can do both......can and cook a meal.

https://www.healthycanning.com/press...ssure-canners/

Hope this helps.
    Yes spot on generally. Old school absolutely! New school I've heard they make cookers now that you can use for canning with. Personally I'll stick with my weighted gauge canner.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Autoclave. That cracked me up.
    All American used to make autoclaves that look suspiciously alike to their larger canner brethren.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I have both and use the cooker every week.

I have an All American 925 canner.

I use the canner as an Autoclave at times, other than just for canning.
    We have 2 pressure cookers and a pressure canner that like Socom my wife uses as an autoclave.

Actually I didn’t know it was also a pressure canner exactly like the pic in the article.

We have 2 regular pressure cookers and use them on the boat and at home. On the boat they are a huge benefit to preparing meals.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I do indeed know what an autoclave is! I do not have one of my own but I thought that using the old noggin to figure that a pressure canner could be used an autoclave was something I'd think of in a pinch. And a motorized salad spinner could be a centrifuge. A turkey baster = a pipette.
    Getting off topic but the Turkey Baster thing rang a bell.......

The LGBT community have been a little more imaginative with how to "use" turkey basters!!!!

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=00b_1237190610

Lesbian tries to inseminate partner w/ turkey baster

"A woman who allegedly intended to artificially inseminate her wife with her brother's semen has been charged with domestic assault and battery......had a 'turkey baster and her brother's semen in a sealed container.......grabbed at her clothes and threatened to impregnate her............Police also confiscated the container of semen and some aluminum foil, which was originally used to hold the semen................ "

P.S. this was in a LIBERAL run city in mASSachusetts, and the would be lesbian "impregnator" was a member of, the cities "Youth Council".

Wonder why kids are screwed up these days?
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 11-03-2019 at 02:01 PM.

The Good Cop

My wife has both a pressure cooker, and a pressure canner.
    the canner is significantly larger than the cooker.
    hawgrider and JustAnotherNut like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I do indeed know what an autoclave is! I do not have one of my own but I thought that using the old noggin to figure that a pressure canner could be used an autoclave was something I'd think of in a pinch. And a motorized salad spinner could be a centrifuge. A turkey baster = a pipette.
    If you look on fleabay there are autoclaves made from canners.

I work in units smaller than turkey basters, more like an eye dropper @ .1 ul.

You can convert a toaster oven into an incubator if needed with just a different controller and a SSR.

Put instruments in a basket above the water level and bring to pressure for 15 minutes and done.

Here is a picture of one of my scopes, none of the centrifuge though.

That is a cell counting slide on the stage and screen.
    Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner-nove2019-import-295.jpg

@Mad Trapper , I am getting there.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-03-2019 at 03:42 PM.
    Marica, hawgrider and Mad Trapper like this.

@SOCOM42 Those look like kitchen curtains. You're counting cells at the kitchen table?? 'Course who am I to talk? Doesn't everyone use old glassware to decorate their home?

Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner-img_2354.jpg

Miniature books & 10ml flasks

Pressure Cooker vs Pressure Canner-img_2355.jpg

Assorted glassware in DH's Bunkhouse.

A lot of this stuff comes in handy.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The Good Cop

I've cleaned guns on my kitchen table, does that count?
    SOCOM42, Marica and JustAnotherNut like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

@SOCOM42 Those look like kitchen curtains. You're counting cells at the kitchen table?? 'Course who am I to talk? Doesn't everyone use old glassware to decorate their home?
    A lot of this stuff comes in handy.
    It was set up on the kitchen table for a short time while building my lab up.
    Marica and rice paddy daddy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Just never take your pressure cooker to Boston you may end up needing a lawyer.
    OK that cracked me up. LOL
    hawgrider likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links