Aldi's vs. Name Brands

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Aldi's vs. Name Brands

This is a discussion on Aldi's vs. Name Brands within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; Not too long ago I started a thread on Aldi's . It triggered some discussion on the benefits of name brands vs. the knock-offs. So, ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Aldi's vs. Name Brands

Super Moderator

Aldi's vs. Name Brands

Not too long ago I started a thread on Aldi's. It triggered some discussion on the benefits of name brands vs. the knock-offs. So, I thought I'd put it to the test to see if the store brands are really so much better. This will be my personal opinion, others can disagree. I only ask that if you want to contribute, please try to do a side by side comparison taste test, ingredients, and cost.

Cheers!
    RedLion likes this.

Super Moderator

Okay, here's the two Brands. I tried out the name brand from Costco. It's the Libby's. The store-brand from Aldis is the Brookdale. The Brookdale cost me 2.99 cents per can. The Libby's cost 10.99 for 3. So, if you by three of the Brookdale it's a 2.00 difference. The ingredients are the same. They're both made in Brazil, which I found interesting. The Libby's was slightly firmer, but other than that the taste difference is negligible.

The two at the top are Brookdale. The two at the bottom are Libby's.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Annie; 05-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    Slippy, RedLion and bigwheel like this.

Well, Annie, . . . I don't have a "side by side", . . . but from personal experience I can tell you my wife and I have given Aldi the big taste test and they flunked.

EVERYTHING I ever bought there tastes funky to me, . . . or old, . . . and not appetizing.

Try it with peaches, pears, beans, corn, . . . anything in a can, . . . I think you will agree, . . . OR, . . . we taste things differently.

Their boxed cereals taste more like dog food smells, . . . their candy, especially the chocolates are a disgrace and should be banned, . . . and after looking at their pre-packaged meats, . . . I would not eat it if you gave me a freezer full of the stuff.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 05-20-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    RedLion and bigwheel like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Well, Annie, . . . I don't have a "side by side", . . . but from personal experience I can tell you my wife and I have given Aldi the big taste test and they flunked.

EVERYTHING I ever bought there tastes funky to me, . . . or old, . . . and not appetizing.

Try it with peaches, pears, beans, corn, . . . anything in a can, . . . I think you will agree, . . . OR, . . . we taste things differently.

Their boxed cereals taste more like dog food smells, . . . their candy, especially the chocolates are a disgrace and should be banned, . . . and after looking at their pre-packaged meats, . . . I would not eat it if you gave me a freezer full of the stuff.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    You're entitled to your opinion. Makes no difference to me if you like it or not, 'cause I'm not feeding you. Not that I wouldn't offer you dinner if you showed up at my door, because I would. My family thinks I'm a good cook.

BTW, expiration dates on my corned beef experiment are as follows:

Libby's, AUG/2023
    Brookdale, JUN/2023

So, lets do the math. Given the number of people I'll probably be feeding in an SHTF situation, I can easily see us going through 3 cans per week. That's a 208. dollar savings over the Libby's in the course of one year. The only big advantage to the Libby's that I can see is it's pre-packed in cans of three's, which is nice if you have to load the car up and relocate. I can do a lot with 208. I think I'm going with the Brookdale from now on.

I gave some of each brand to my husband in his lunch, so we'll see what he thinks.
    Last edited by Annie; 05-20-2019 at 08:38 AM.

if you've been in the canning and bottling facilities you'd have a little better understanding of these "off brands" >>> they really are nothing more in some cases than a label change between brands - sometimes not - some canning companies save the veggie/fruit "seconds" and cans them for the discount discount brands - buy a few cans first of a new brand and check it out - pure crap is worthless at any $$$$$$$ ...

I've dealt with Aldis since around 1975 or so - their buying has come a long long way - in the beginning they didn't have the volume buy or vendors up the ying yang looking for long term contracts for that volume - I'd still buy short to start and not go deep until all your eaters are satisfied ....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 05-20-2019 at 09:05 AM.
    RedLion likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    if you've been in the canning and bottling facilities you'd have a little better understanding of these "off brands" >>> they really are nothing more in some cases than a label change between brands - .........
    I've worked in such a facility, and this is absolutely true. We'd spend part of the day doing a run and slapping on a name brand label such as Del Monte or Libby's, then we'd swap the labels being fed into the production line to a store brand. Nothing else changed. Well, maybe how they're palletized, boxed, packaged etc. But the container and contents are identical.
    RedLion and stevekozak like this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I've worked in such a facility, and this is absolutely true. We'd spend part of the day doing a run and slapping on a name brand label such as Del Monte or Libby's, then we'd swap the labels being fed into the production line to a store brand. Nothing else changed. Well, maybe how they're palletized, boxed, packaged etc. But the container and contents are identical.
    This is what I'd suspected, given that both of the brands I've tested come from Brazil.

I have never had anything bad from Aldi.
    We buy their bread, meat, pizza, cereal, bacon...
    RedLion likes this.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    if you've been in the canning and bottling facilities you'd have a little better understanding of these "off brands" >>> they really are nothing more in some cases than a label change between brands - sometimes not - some canning companies save the veggie/fruit "seconds" and cans them for the discount discount brands - buy a few cans first of a new brand and check it out - pure crap is worthless at any $$$$$$$ ...

I've dealt with Aldis since around 1975 or so - their buying has come a long long way - in the beginning they didn't have the volume buy or vendors up the ying yang looking for long term contracts for that volume - I'd still buy short to start and not go deep until all your eaters are satisfied ....
    Same thing with a lot of different industries. When I was selling packaging equipment I found it interesting that only 3 companies in the world actually produced real aspirin...just different labels for the different "brands".

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    RedLion likes this.

We pass an Aldi's on the way home. Maybe we should stop once.
    Maine-Marine and stevekozak like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links