Aldi's vs. Name Brands - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Aldi's vs. Name Brands

This is a discussion on Aldi's vs. Name Brands within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I dunna know, almost everything I buy name brand or not I doctor up. They make for the masses tastes, which is not always my ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Aldi's vs. Name Brands

I dunna know, almost everything I buy name brand or not I doctor up. They make for the masses tastes, which is not always my taste. Why not buy cheaper and make it the flavor you like?
    Maine-Marine likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Okay, here's the two Brands. I tried out the name brand from Costco. It's the Libby's. The store-brand from Aldis is the Brookdale. The Brookdale cost me 2.99 cents per can. The Libby's cost 10.99 for 3. So, if you by three of the Brookdale it's a 2.00 difference. The ingredients are the same. They're both made in Brazil, which I found interesting. The Libby's was slightly firmer, but other than that the taste difference is negligible.

The two at the top are Brookdale. The two at the bottom are Libby's.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    I am from Brazil, and I never ever saw this type of canned meat being sold here, so it must be some of those for export only products. There are some very big meat processing plants that do not sell to the internal market.
    Is it some sort of ground beef?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yavanna View Post
    I am from Brazil, and I never ever saw this type of canned meat being sold here, so it must be some of those for export only products. There are some very big meat processing plants that do not sell to the internal market.
    Is it some sort of ground beef?
    I know from Brazil, right? I thought of you when I read that. It's corned beef. That's a tougher cut of meat that they season to make it more edible. It's delicious; much more so when it's fresh, not canned. The fresh corned beef has to be boiled a long time. Then baked in the oven for like around half-hour with mustard and apricot jelly on top. But in a pinch....canned will do!

From Wikipedia:

Corned beef is a salt-cured beef product. The term comes from the treatment of the meat with ... Libby, McNeill & Libby Corned Beef, 1898. Although the ... Today, around 80% of the global canned corned beef supply originates from Brazil.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It looks like some sort of meat preserve.
    It is very difficult to see any sort of canned meat in my country, in the supermarket you will only find some canned fish or viena saussage, besides that there is very little. We do not consume much canned food.
    Usually we buy fresh meat ( just refrigerated) or frozen. Also there are itens like ham and salami-like things.
    But it makes sense that exported meat would preserve better if canned, due to the distance and the transport time.
    The tougher pieces of meat are usually cooked in a stew using the pressure cooker.
    Annie likes this.

Yavanna, if you ever get the chance, try our Soylent Green. You can get it at some fantastic bargain prices.
    soyer38301 and stevekozak like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yavanna View Post
    It looks like some sort of meat preserve.
    It is very difficult to see any sort of canned meat in my country, in the supermarket you will only find some canned fish or viena saussage, besides that there is very little. We do not consume much canned food.
    Usually we buy fresh meat ( just refrigerated) or frozen. Also there are itens like ham and salami-like things.
    But it makes sense that exported meat would preserve better if canned, due to the distance and the transport time.
    The tougher pieces of meat are usually cooked in a stew using the pressure cooker.
    The ingredients in the canned corned beef (other than the canned beef) are salt, sugar and sodium nitrite.

The fresh corned beef (also used for Jewish beef brisket) comes with a packet which contains peppercorns. Corned beef is a New York-Irish thing. Our great grandmothers in the ghettos learned about the corned beef from their Jewish neighbors. You won't find corned beef in Ireland, but here it's what everyone cooks on St. Patty's Day.

For what it is worth, I find that the lettuce and celery that I can get at Aldi's is consistently fresher and better quality that that I can get at my local Cub Foods or Target store. I also find no difference in the quality/taste of other items like cheese, peanut butter and yogurt.
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Yeah I'm serving Aldi's spring mix lettuce tonight and the quality is right there with any of the main supermarkets in my area as well as Costco.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    RedLion likes this.

ALDI is35 miles away
    Bucket-Back since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    We pass an Aldi's on the way home. Maybe we should stop once.
    This is my plan as well. I tried Aldis in the past (it has been years) and never really found anything I couldn't live without, but am thinking I should give it another try. I too have one on the way home, and if I ever manage to start working at a decent hour, I will stop in and see what is what.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links