Have you successfully canned meat?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Have you successfully canned meat? within the Garden, Canning, Long Term Food Storage forums, part of the Survival Food Procurement category; I have been researching canning meat, mostly because I am not a big fan the freeze-dried stuff. This seems to be the most simple instructions ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Have you successfully canned meat?

Administrator

I have been researching canning meat, mostly because I am not a big fan the freeze-dried stuff.

This seems to be the most simple instructions I have found.
    https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/...ning-meat.html

If so, any special tips?
    Robie, Toefoot and Slippy like this.
    “And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Yep. I’ve canned both chicken and bacon. I bought a few pounds of the bacon ends and bits to save a few bucks. All turned out well and lasted over a year, no problems. MAKE SURE TO USE A PRESSURE CANNER!. Most around here have heard stories of grandma canning cubed deer meat in a water bath canner. Yes, it will work and probably most if the time be OK. But why take a chance? Use the pressure cooker.
    Cricket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I have been researching canning meat, mostly because I am not a big fan the freeze-dried stuff.

If so, any special tips?
    Is it cost effective in time and money to do so for a family? I never have canned meat or fish but have many cans of it. I may try it, once I go full retired.
    Come on you target for faraway laughter, Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine....

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

If so, any special tips?
    Look here- This is how we do it at hawgs house- https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...d-vension.html
    Cricket, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

The tips are always sterilize everything jars, lids and tools.

Do not water bath no matter what the old timers tell you! Always pressure can and follow the pressures and times recommended for pints and quarts always!
    Never use any jars bigger than a quart ever! Remember botulism kills!
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

For me, . . . the OP directions are the hard way of doing things.

1. Cut up your meat, . . . remove any "excess" fat, . . . remove bones and gristle. Cut up into nice 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch cubes.

2. Wash jars, . . . then sterilize them by dunking them in a pan of rolling boil water, . . . extract with a pair of long tongs.

3. Pack the jars with the meat, . . . leaving 1 inch headspace, . . . flavor with garlic powder, onion powder, or other spices as your taste dictates. I don't do anything but a slim 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pint, . . . slim 1 teaspoon salt per quart. Do not add any liquid of any kind.

4. Put on the lids, . . . screw em down tight, . . . into the pressure canner, . . . 10 lbs pressure for 75 minutes on pints, . . . 90 minutes on quarts.

I've never had any problem with this procedure, . . . meat is flavorful and tender.

I would not waste my time browning it etc, . . . just not necessary. I also have to clean up the kitchen, . . . this way makes it so much easier and quicker.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Last edited by dwight55; 08-09-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    For me, . . . the OP directions are the hard way of doing things.

1. Cut up your meat, . . . remove any "excess" fat, . . . remove bones and gristle. Cut up into nice 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch cubes.

2. Wash jars, . . . then sterilize them by dunking them in a pan of rolling boil water, . . . extract with a pair of long tongs.

3. Pack the jars with the meat, . . . leaving 1 inch headspace, . . . flavor with garlic powder, onion powder, or other spices as your taste dictates. I don't do anything but a slim 1/2 teaspoon of salt per pint, . . . slim 1 teaspoon salt per quart. Do not add any liquid of any kind.

4. Put on the lids, . . . screw em down tight, . . . into the pressure canner, . . . 10 lbs pressure for 75 minutes on pints, . . . 90 minutes on quarts.

I've never had any problem with this procedure, . . . meat is flavorful and tender.

I would not waste my time browning it etc, . . . just not necessary. I also have to clean up the kitchen, . . . this way makes it so much easier and quicker.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    LOL Dwight my friend .... its all about the flavor a little more work is worth the effort to me. Your way is not wrong its perfectly fine. The raw pack method is what you do and thats OK. But I am picky about my flavors so I am willing to brown and add salt and a clove of garlic to have the product I like. So in a nut shell pick either raw pack or the brown hot pack method but don't water bath and don't use 1/2 gallon jars.
    Cricket, dwight55 and Slippy like this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Yes, venison and beef.....
    hawgrider and Chipper like this.

Why do it yourself if you can buy it?

TG loves this!
    Have you successfully canned meat?-canned-meat_4665e9_3544752.jpg

Can't say the same about this, I never tried it...
    Have you successfully canned meat?-sausage_in_the_can.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Have you successfully canned meat?-sausage-can.jpg  

Last edited by Urinal Cake; 08-09-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

I can meat all the time and have for years. Take any kind of meat (beef pork chicken rabbit turkey) pack raw in a jar, add a little salt and pressure can. The only difference is for fish where you would add a little oil or water.
    the only time I cook any of it first is when doing ground meat. I partially cook the burger or sausage and then pack in the jar with the same method. this ground meat is great for tacos, spaghetti casseroles and so on.
    This is one of the easiest food items to can in my opinion and it makes cooking times later fraction of cooking from the start. It takes no time at all to whip up a great meal when everything is already cooked and you just need to mix and heat.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links