How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails???
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails???

This is a discussion on How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails??? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; OK so now i know that i was actually going over bored on the amount of spase needed O_O at least its better to have ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails???

Middle of nowhere on a section road in the U.S.A

Question How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails???

OK so now i know that i was actually going over bored on the amount of spase needed O_O
    at least its better to have more than less... right?

i have 7 acres of land (about 5 that is int in use or not convenient for farming)...
    i was wondering how plausible would it be to feed a large family of about 15 people in a survival scenario... and i was wondering how hard it would be to plow said 5 acres of land by hand... where we are we have a large pond for a few cows and cat tails (we plan on trying to grow wild rice as well.).
    Here is my thoughts of the situation half an acre of asparagus, acre and a half of potato's, and swapping fields of 1/2 acres of rye and peas. and then we have the pond full of cat tails (witch are edible and the leaves could help feed the cows during winter... idk whats your thoughts...
    Last edited by RenoSonozaki; 08-05-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Adding info

To start with, . . . an acre and a half of potatoes, . . . will feed most of the 3rd Marine Division for 6 months, . . . or thereabouts.

Seriously, . . . with any real yield at all, . . . a 1/4 acre of potatoes will feed a good sized family all year.

Use the rest for tomatoes, . . . green beans, . . . onions, . . . beets, . . . pumpkin, . . . squash, . . . cabbage, . . . all of which can be either dried or "hilled in" over the winter and do not necessitate canning, freezing, etc.

AND, . . . it makes for a more varied menu.

Add some pinto beans, . . . yams / sweet potatoes, . . . spinach, . . . corn, . . . and a few others, . . . you will have a smorgasboard.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Denton and Annie like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

ok... i do not know a lot about yields so that is great to hear thank you

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

unless your planning on setting up a soup kitchen why bother feeding the masses you'll have your hands full feeding yourself.
    oops

Quote Originally Posted by Medic33 View Post
    unless your planning on setting up a soup kitchen why bother feeding the masses you'll have your hands full feeding yourself.
    when i say "feed the masses" i am referring to my large family witch is about 25 at this point 1/3 of them are in there mid 20's to 40's
    with a lot of kids coming along as well i said
    BTW i said 15 in the first post because i didn't want to think to big...

the reason for storing away food is to serve as a buffer until your self sufficiency plan kicks in - you don't really have a plan ...

not really unusual for newbies to believe gardening is just a matter of tossing seeds into a hole - takes several seasons of soiling tending to get it into some kind of productive mode - and it is literally a lifetime of learning to garden to that point where your life can depend on being productive .... and then comes the whole matter of preserving and storing any produce ....

no mention of animal husbandry - animals make gardening look eazy ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

5 Acres will feed a lot of people if managed right and with some learning involved. You must also learn to use a root cellar to store it. It will take a lot of labor.
    Camel923, dwight55 and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

While plausible, you will require a lot of hand tools. Things break so extra are required. If your feeding 25, count on those 5 and above to contribute labor if all are serious about survival. Everybody works. Make sure your sanitation is well away from the pond and food.
    Annie and dwight55 like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Super Moderator

Disclaimer: we only do backyard gardening here, but for the most part we've been very successful for several years now. I've been able to put back a lot of produce via canning. Seven people here and I still have pickles and tomatoes from 2015 in my pantry. Haven't gotten into the 2016's yet. Also dehydrated veggies from last year...

The important thing first off is the soil quality. Hubs does box gardening and he gets a combination of soil made for container grown vegetables and into that he mixes a couple of bags of cow manure. He says it's that mixture that accounts for his success. Get your soil as rich as you can. That's a large part of the battle. Pests and water are of course the other factors. Then remember to rotate crops from one year to the next.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Annie; 08-05-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    fangfarrier and dwight55 like this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

Damn Son,

Have you ever farmed by hand a couple of acres before?...Or how 'bout 1 acre? Or even a half acre?

My advise is to start off with some raised beds, and diversify...Also read up on the Theory of Crop Rotation so you don't kill the soil.

You will learn a shat-load by trying to farm 10-12 raised beds. Then after you perfect your system, and eliminate your errors you can then move up to a half acre, then an acre, then beyond.

But diversify your crop to find out what YOU do good, what the SOIL does good, what the CLIMATE does good, etc, etc...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoSonozaki View Post
    OK so now i know that i was actually going over bored on the amount of spase needed O_O
    at least its better to have more than less... right?

i have 7 acres of land (about 5 that is int in use or not convenient for farming)...
    i was wondering how plausible would it be to feed a large family of about 15 people in a survival scenario... and i was wondering how hard it would be to plow said 5 acres of land by hand... where we are we have a large pond for a few cows and cat tails (we plan on trying to grow wild rice as well.).
    Here is my thoughts of the situation half an acre of asparagus, acre and a half of potato's, and swapping fields of 1/2 acres of rye and peas. and then we have the pond full of cat tails (witch are edible and the leaves could help feed the cows during winter... idk whats your thoughts...
    Last edited by Slippy; 08-05-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links