How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails??? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails???

This is a discussion on How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails??? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Go to Johnny's Seeds and do some reading Planning Tools & Calculators | Johnny's Selected Seeds Your local extension office should have good info on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: How do i feed the masses with Potatoes, milk, asparagus, rye, peas, and cat tails???

Go to Johnny's Seeds and do some reading Planning Tools & Calculators | Johnny's Selected Seeds

Your local extension office should have good info on what grows well, planting dates for your area and they may know local growers for local seed. Talk to the market growers in your area - ask to go help harvest and plant . Trade your labor for instruction.

No reason to wait for an event start growing part of your food now and expand a crop or two every year.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    no mention of animal husbandry - animals make gardening look eazy ....
    Animals are easy! Gardening is such a drag. I need to find someone who loves to garden to come hang out with me. I can grow animals all day long! :D

But on a more serious--that wasn't?--note, OP, look into and start implementing gardening practices now. I recommend Back to Eden/Ruth Stout as excellent sustainable options that can be built up now to provide a reliable, year to year survival garden long into the future.

if you don't plan on breaking ground til after everything gets flushed, how do you plan to come up with the seed potatoes to plant an acre and have enough grow to eat and seed for following year? how do you plan to survive through a winter and a growing season if the fur were to fly in mid September and you miss planting?
    azrancher likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Be sure and plant grape vines along the edge of the property. Train them to grow up a tee post with a 4 ft. square of hog wire mounted on the post. Water them with drip irrigation. Keep them trimmed to fit the hog wire. You will have lots of grapes to go with the tates.

Make sure you stock up on work gloves. Clearing even a small section for gardening will ruin your hands and even with the gloves you will still
    get blisters if your not used to it. So stock up on antibiotic ointment as well.
    bigwheel likes this.

Substance gardening takes time to learn. Start now start small so you don't give up. Much as I know they are a bunch of liberal wacko's Mother earth news has some good ideas and pointers. But consider the source with some of their claims.
    Learn the produce that fits your growing season and plant accordingly, some crops go in early some middle some the end. Human body does best on verity.
    Slippy likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    the reason for storing away food is to serve as a buffer until your self sufficiency plan kicks in - you don't really have a plan ...

not really unusual for newbies to believe gardening is just a matter of tossing seeds into a hole - takes several seasons of soiling tending to get it into some kind of productive mode - and it is literally a lifetime of learning to garden to that point where your life can depend on being productive .... and then comes the whole matter of preserving and storing any produce ....

no mention of animal husbandry - animals make gardening look eazy ....
    I nominate this as one of the top 10 best posts of the year
    dwight55 likes this.
    Be a Berean

Quote Originally Posted by No Body View Post
    Make sure you stock up on work gloves. Clearing even a small section for gardening will ruin your hands and even with the gloves you will still
    get blisters if your not used to it. So stock up on antibiotic ointment as well.
    you need to start a new thread and talk about this.... I need to buy more gloves tomorrow....

gloves are important!!!!
    bigwheel likes this.
    Be a Berean

Anything that takes gloves is a job for Mama.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoSonozaki View Post
    Here is my thoughts of the situation half an acre of asparagus, acre and a half of potato's, and swapping fields of 1/2 acres of rye and peas. and then we have the pond full of cat tails (witch are edible and the leaves could help feed the cows during winter... idk whats your thoughts...
    My thoughts are you need to think this thru a lot more. Where you planning on getting enough seed potatoes for an acre and a half during a crisis? You ever grown a potato? Let us know what gardening experience you have.

The primary focus of my survival garden is based on the three sisters garden as practiced by the native Americans in the past. Why reinvent the wheel? Why not garden as folks did centuries ago without any modern tools. The 3 sisters are a companion planting of corn, pole beans & winter squash. Those 3 foods provide almost complete nutrition and all will store rather easily. For not a huge amount of money, you could put up enough seed, purchased from your local coop, to feed your group. I suggest you read up on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links