Suture Kit
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Suture Kit

This is a discussion on Suture Kit within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello everyone, I have a question that I have not yet seen a thread for. My wife and I have been talking about learning how ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Suture Kit

Suture Kit

Hello everyone,
    I have a question that I have not yet seen a thread for. My wife and I have been talking about learning how to do sutures for SHTF times. Does anybody out there have any ideas on how to practice this skill? I was thinking maybe pig skin, since it is kind of like human skin. Also I have noticed the kits online sell for around $150. Is dental floss a good substitute for this the string?

Get butterfly strips and steri-strips, and super glue. Learn how to use those. Leave suturing to a professional.

Seriously.

If you have a wound that is serious enough to need suturing instead of one of the items above you need to find real medical help. That's why it would be a good idea to find where any Dr.s RN's or even vet's near you BOL are.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have seen enough uses of the strips and super glue to try if I had no alternative, but it's a painful way to die saving a buck if you got it wrong.

You can get vet sutures reasonably cheap, they often sell them 2 for 1 in 12 packs around $12

Suture & Skin Closure - Veterinary Supplies, Medical Products for clinics, hospitals

You can also buy mosquito forceps for a buck there with most orders.

Check you tube for videos on sewing, a banana is a good place to start, then move on to chicken skin
    Meangreen likes this.
    NRA Patron Member
    Platoon Sergent M1 Tank Company (retired)
    Montana sucks, tell your friends

While I agree that suturing is a skill. especially if you need to use multiple levels of suturing (deep ones with an absorbable material), it is something that can be practiced and can easily save a life I a doctor isn't available. You can practice on pork and chicken. The hardest thing for me was to remember how to tie the knot. "Steri strips" are great but not for deep lacerations.

Deep lacerations often require internal as well as external stitches. Without antibiotics you are asking for gangrene and the loss of life or at least the loss of an appendage.
    I would not hesitate to use whatever sterile equipment I had to sew up a cut that went to a muscle or maybe slightly into it - getting real iffy - but deep lacerations require drainage and antibiotics to prevent infection. (that's after they are thoroughly scrubbed out) You might be better served to use antiseptic flooding of the wound and binding so it is allowed to drain and heal naturally. Perhaps even coating it with honey and placing plastic wrap over it. (no honey in the wound but over the closed wound) That will keep it free of bacteria and prevent oxygen from getting through your dressing.

This is were I learned, I just picked up a 20$ kit online

exmilitary likes this.

Use pork or chicken for practicing. I have several types in my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by acfink View Post
    This is were I learned, I just picked up a 20$ kit online

I was going to link that exact video. It is an excellent resources. Actually, everything Dr Bones does is good. He explains things very plainly and in sufficient detail that even somebody like me that has no medical inclination can understand it.
    acfink likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links