How long canned food can last at room temperature AFTER it's been opened? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How long canned food can last at room temperature AFTER it's been opened?

This is a discussion on How long canned food can last at room temperature AFTER it's been opened? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Wow. Back on point: I don't have long term food stores per se, but I don't think you can go wrong with a few cases ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How long canned food can last at room temperature AFTER it's been opened?

Wow. Back on point:

I don't have long term food stores per se, but I don't think you can go wrong with a few cases of MREs and some freeze dried Mountain House, Augason Farms, Wise etc. I have been watching videos on Youtube about eating various MREs from different countries and older Korean, Vietnam era C rats etc. Makes for good viewing if nothing else. I have even been watching somebody named Emma eating Balut, Century eggs, bugs etc. I'm amazed at some of the ways different cultures preserve and eat things I would never consider.

Last year I was stuck out at the farm. It was raining so hard I would not let my wife drive out to pick me up. The camper was comfortable, warm and dry but my food was dwindling fast. By the time she got there after about a week, I was down to Ramen noodles. Water is never an issue with the MSR Sweetwater and the Katadyn Pocket filters but I also had 10 gallons of fresh in my Aquatainers. From now on, before hunting season, there will be plenty of mres and dehydrated food stashed in the camper.
    Last edited by csi-tech; 06-26-2016 at 04:06 PM.
    charito likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Yep the danger zone is surely 40-140 thanks for bringing that up. Things like jelly and other foods high in sugar can usually stand being held at room temps. Ketchup too..but its the low ph which helps it I think. Heard opened jars of Mayo is fine to store like that..but never put it to the test.
    charito likes this.

My 2¢

buy smaller cans of spam, beef stew, etc

if you can not finish it and can not keep it cool... feed it to you pigs, chickens, of wild game...
    charito likes this.
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Yep the danger zone is surely 40-140 thanks for bringing that up. Things like jelly and other foods high in sugar can usually stand being held at room temps. Ketchup too..but its the low ph which helps it I think. Heard opened jars of Mayo is fine to store like that..but never put it to the test.
    I would not trust mayo passed an hour or two..thats just me
    Be a Berean

Was raised that way myself. The Kraft Mayo stayed cold at all times. Prob still apply to home made variants but think the commercial models can do without it the cool in a pinch.
    7 Foods That Don't Need to Be in Your Fridge | The Stir
    Maine-Marine likes this.

my mom and my self alike, have eaten spam the next day,after it had been left sitting out all night.it was simply left covered up with the paper towel that we had put it on to begin with,when it comes getting the grease/cooking oil off of it..my mom has a low immune system.and never gotten sick or what ever from that..
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Who me? If you're talking to me, I've been feeding my family now almost 30 years and haven't killed anybody yet, thank God. Don't much care for the term "sheeple". Our Lord called us sheep and Himself the Good Shepherd, so it doesn't sit right with me to hear it being used in a derogatory way. But your point is well taken; to be careful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    ????? ... WTF are you talking about? .... don't know you from Adam .... slip a little cog there?

my reply just happened to follow yours and is on the subject of spoiled food following a SHTF ....

IF IT WAS DIRECTED AT YOU .... I WOULD QUOTE YOU

if you want to get nasty lady - I CAN GET REALLLLL NASTY TOWARD YOU - frankly lady - GO FUCK YOURSELF .....
    Pictures or it didn't happen.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimLE View Post
    my mom and my self alike, have eaten spam the next day,after it had been left sitting out all night.it was simply left covered up with the paper towel that we had put it on to begin with,when it comes getting the grease/cooking oil off of it..my mom has a low immune system.and never gotten sick or what ever from that..
    Good to know Jimbo, thanks^^^
    jimLE likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links