Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it???
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it??? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; As a former Fleet Marine Force Navy combat Corpsman and CASEVAC (CASualty EVACuation) Corpsman with desert experience and a combat first-aid instructor...I ask this question. ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it???

As a former Fleet Marine Force Navy combat Corpsman and CASEVAC (CASualty EVACuation) Corpsman with desert experience and a combat first-aid instructor...I ask this question.

You have the bandages but do you know how to use them effectively? There's more to it than you think (but something is still better than nothing so at least try!). If you can find a workshop around you to give you hands on, real world instruction I highly recommend you jump on it. Medical equipment designed in a lab or on a computer program won't always perform as designed in the field so it's good to find out the in's and out's.

If anyone in the Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX area is interested check out DTS North Texas - Defeat. Treat. Survive.. I'm not on here trying to plug my biz but I started this biz because I do believe in it and to get the skills and message out to folks like us because one day we may be hunkered down side-by-side slayin' zombo's and if I go down...who's gonna patch ME up!? Just get the propper skills somewhere.

Knowing how to effectively patch someone up with a pressure bandage, combat tourniquet, needle decompression or a crike is just as important as the other skills of prepping. I say be well rounded and be prepared for anything!
    jc-hunter, oswegoscott and ekim like this.
    "Better to be lookin' at than lookin' for it!" Hidden Content

Former Texas Peace Officer, Fleet Marine Force combat Corpsman,
    CASEVAC and Combat Aircrew, Iraq vet (ground and air)
    Combat medical founder/owner/trainer for DTS North Texas
    Hidden Content

I volunteered at a local fire station when I was living in Maryland years back - trained as an EMT. Mostly because I wanted to learn those kinds of skills.

Check out your local fire or rescue team. They are always looking for volunteers and it is free training, etc.
    TxCombatMedic likes this.

Been through the Combat life savers course more times than I can count. Along with many other ones . No doctor but I can take care of a few things. Sadly been tested in the real world.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

In our Mutual Assistance Group which consists of 4 families we have once-a-month training meetings. Each family has specific assignments and responsibilities for all emergency situations. We have seriously considered each individual's skills and areas of expertise and made these assignments accordingly. I think we have had 17 of these meetings so far (in 17 months) and 9 of them have been on the topic of medical readiness for our group. I have 100% confidence that every one of our group has as much or more training than the typical EMT and our supplies and equipment is second to none. Every member has completed training in using operating room equipment and each person is competent in closing deep wounds with sutures, staples, and butterflies. We have practiced on hogs, goats, rabbits, chickens and any other kind of animal at our disposal. We have set aside one entire small barn as our medical treatment center. Lots of work has gone into this old goat barn to make it as clean and cleanable, as situation ready, and as well equipped as possible. We have spent lots of money on getting this room ready and I must say it's nearly as good as any military field hospital I have ever worked in during my 12 years in the service.

We also plan to repeat all of the training sessions over and over again without end.

Something that one of our members has stepped up to teach (and has done a wonderful job) is ACCIDENT AVOIDANCE. You know, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure". The most common problem in a crisis situation is simple hand injury. Next is foot and leg injury. An example is a simple cut finger or sprained wrist can result in total incapacitation if not treated properly and quickly. These minor injuries are the kind that we sometimes overlook until they result in reduced capacity or, in SHTF situations, could easily lead to death. Remember that in crisis situations cleanliness and sanitation is often either overlooked or not available.

I highly recommend that every one of us take all the time and effort necessary to learn as much as possible about medical concerns. It really is a mater of life or death.

I have mentioned it on this forum before, But I am a paid/vol. EMT of 13 years I have been on ALOT of 911 calls so I am confident I have the ability to take care of myself and family/friends, I have been buying up all the Medical supplies I can, So I feel I am well covered.

I was a volunteer fireman for 8-1/2 years and a First Responder for 5 of those years. Got some good hands on time. I'm no doctor/nurse, but I'm glad for the little training I got. Training is good, but actually doing it in an emergency is a different ball game.

I have a son that is a doctor and lived at home while going through medical school. I assisted him in his studies and learned a lot. He has since taught me quite a bit though I've had some serious injuries in my life from gun shot wounds to even more serious things. I learned a lot from the doctor's that treated me as well. My son help me setup a medical kit to handle what I can do which is pretty extensive now according to him as to tending wounds as well as stitching them up if required, CPR, even a tracheotomy if needed which I had done to me once. He showed me the procedure which I actually picked up also. I would say I'm as qualified as perhaps a military medic which is where he started in the Navy Seals as their medic.

I would say I am more qualified, having had more clinical experience than any of my group. But the extent of it is an awareness of sterile procedure, PPE, and basic lifesaving training for clinicians and as a lifegaurd.

I can give injections, stitch up a wound, and immobilize a patient and I am willing to do something, anything I can to save life. But I am limited.

Any recomendations for paper libraries? EMT textbook maybe?

HVU

I have the basic millitary medical traiing and some real life experience with having to deal with serius wounds, this monday the entire school, over 400 people had a 20km ski trip, me and one of my friends were slacking in the back as usual because we like taking it calm and enjoying the nature, then in on downhill his staff broke and it made him lose concentration so he crashed into a tree, I quickly gott him out of the bushes and took of his headwear to see ow serius it was and he had gotten half of his left eyebrow ripped off by a branch, I had quite a lott of medical gear in my backpack so i cleaned the wound, stopped the bleading and bandaged it as good as i could, then i gave him a couple of painkillers before he passed out, Luckily a teacher had heard his scream and we managed to gett in contact with a ranger station and they sent a helicopter to pick him upp.
    - The moral of the story: If your going skiing with a Lebanese guy then bring medical supplies

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I have a son that is a doctor and lived at home while going through medical school. I assisted him in his studies and learned a lot. He has since taught me quite a bit though I've had some serious injuries in my life from gun shot wounds to even more serious things. I learned a lot from the doctor's that treated me as well. My son help me setup a medical kit to handle what I can do which is pretty extensive now according to him as to tending wounds as well as stitching them up if required, CPR, even a tracheotomy if needed which I had done to me once. He showed me the procedure which I actually picked up also. I would say I'm as qualified as perhaps a military medic which is where he started in the Navy Seals as their medic.
    Started as a SEAL Corpsman? Rah!! That's some high speed training!
    "Better to be lookin' at than lookin' for it!" Hidden Content

Former Texas Peace Officer, Fleet Marine Force combat Corpsman,
    CASEVAC and Combat Aircrew, Iraq vet (ground and air)
    Combat medical founder/owner/trainer for DTS North Texas
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links