Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it??? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it???

This is a discussion on Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it??? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Carp614 I would say I am more qualified, having had more clinical experience than any of my group. But the extent of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Emergency Medical Skills...can you do it???

Quote Originally Posted by Carp614 View Post
    I would say I am more qualified, having had more clinical experience than any of my group. But the extent of it is an awareness of sterile procedure, PPE, and basic lifesaving training for clinicians and as a lifegaurd.

I can give injections, stitch up a wound, and immobilize a patient and I am willing to do something, anything I can to save life. But I am limited.

Any recomendations for paper libraries? EMT textbook maybe?
    Yeah man, head over to Half-Priced books and they have a ton of stuff for dirt cheap. I have lots from the military but I also wanted an herbalistic approach to health and well being because one day I will be my family's only doctor. I was finding books for 5 and 6 bucks!! (Grey's Anatomy, the thick book was under $10)
    "Better to be lookin' at than lookin' for it!" Hidden Content

Former Texas Peace Officer, Fleet Marine Force combat Corpsman,
    CASEVAC and Combat Aircrew, Iraq vet (ground and air)
    Combat medical founder/owner/trainer for DTS North Texas
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TxCombatMedic View Post
    Started as a SEAL Corpsman? Rah!! That's some high speed training!
    Yes he did 8 years active duty and 2 years reserve starting right out of high school. He is now a doctor in NC and got interested in medicine as a Medic for the Seals. Now he works for a hospital now as head of their trauma center. He worked for a local fire department as a para medic while he went to school to become a nurse practitioner then worked at that in a Homestead, FL hospital until he became a GP. I have actually learned a lot from him since he got out of the service though I don't see him but a couple times a year now with me living in Kentucky and him in NC, though we do talk often on the phone. He also did some time in NC as a Medical examiner for one of the near by counties there.
    TxCombatMedic likes this.

I'm an RN, and I was a first responder in a rural area. I used to carry ACLS certification. I'm retired now. First aid is essential, but, as a survivor, what we will lack is tertiary care. Not having a hospital presents a problem. A lot of deaths will occur from problems now easily treated, such as dehydration from diarrheal disease, which will be common without good water sources. Pneuomnia complicates a lot of colds and flu, imagine no way to treat it. Urinary tract infections that travel up to the kidney. A small cut can kill without antibiotics. One really needs IVs and antibiotics minimally to have much of a chance long term. Any one who needs medication to survive now on a regular basis, say, Insulin, or cardiac meds better be thinking how they plan on acquiring it after armageddon.

I still believe one of the most credible threats to our survival right now, is a pandemic. It's not glamourous or action packed, but, it is overdue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    One can buy antibiotics online from overseas--no RX needed
    Sure many fish antibiotics can be used on human's and are readily available in a lot of place such as a good local pet store. That is just one source however their are some natural sources to fight infections and such also. The Aloe Vera is a good example of a plant with many healing features but others are others that work also. Here is some info on it Aloe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are a number of books on herbal medicines that do work though not as effective as some modern ones they have been used for centuries with good result.

I do have basic first aid skills, and have had training in basic first aid. I can handle most commonly encountered issues, such as cuts, punctures, burns, fractures, etc. I can manage to stabilize most injuries, but I am not medically trained, so I would look to pass a patient off for such serious work. I know CPR. I can suture and splint. I have a lot of emergency first aid supplies, but I am still working on getting more. I know enough to survive. But Dr. Kildare I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by oswegoscott View Post
    One can buy antibiotics online from overseas--no RX needed
    When that runs out make your own silver (an anti biotic, fungus, virus). I treat my family with ionic and colloidal silver. Love it! (If you're interested Google SilverLungs Generator)

Hidden Content

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    I can do CPR and put on a band aide...

But my wife is a trained first responder...
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    I can do CPR and put on a band aide...

But my wife is a trained first responder...
    Cpr and band-aides? Man you're half way there!

Hidden Content

I am a Nurse ER and MEDICAL/ACUTE But I do need to get a larger Medical kit.

ive gone to CLS a few times, have the book to refresh at time & remember most of it. BUT i know it is still only a temp. fix until a medic gets there

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links