It's time to buy butter but I can't remember how much to buy
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on It's time to buy butter but I can't remember how much to buy within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; We bought enough for a year at this time last November to take advantage of the Thanksgiving sales (it's 1/2 off the normal price = ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: It's time to buy butter but I can't remember how much to buy

We bought enough for a year at this time last November to take advantage of the Thanksgiving sales (it's 1/2 off the normal price = $1.99) and we only have two 1 lb boxes left in the freezer. However, I can't for the life of me remember how much we bought. Of course, I'm not worried about buying too much but I'd hate to not buy enough for the year either. I figure about 16 boxes will do. In your opinion, how much butter does your family go through in a year?

We go thru about 16 pounds for the 2 of us. More id the wife does Christmas cookies.
    jdjones3109 likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Just buy a 55 gallon drum of butter and call it a day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by James m View Post
    Just buy a 55 gallon drum of butter and call it a day.
    Don't tempt me. I already have a 55 gallon drum of Kerosene in the shed.

You can freeze butter? Doesn't it separate? It's just the wife and I and we may go through 2 tubs of Margarin a year. Real butter she uses only during the holidays.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    You can freeze butter? Doesn't it separate? It's just the wife and I and we may go through 2 tubs of Margarin a year. Real butter she uses only during the holidays.
    Butter freezes well. There's no noticeable change in texture or flavor. Like I said in my original post, we buy it once a year on sale and freeze enough to use all year long. It's not a long term prep, but saving money that can then be spent on other things is an important part of prepping. On another note, we stopped using margarine years ago when we saw a Facebook video of someone putting it on the garage floor. Over time, mold never grew on it and insects never touched it. Go to the following link to find out why, but you're not going to like what you read. I didn't and I never touched the stuff again.

https://thatsbad4u.wordpress.com/201...-a-no-brainer/

And here's the most disturbing fact....

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?
    Last edited by jdjones3109; 11-03-2015 at 06:13 AM.
    Slippy, Gimble and Arklatex like this.

Advice to the youngsters; Don't get your facts from Facebook! Do your own research.

Margarine is basically a water in vegetable oil emulsion. The additives are generally for taste and a small amount of nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by jdjones3109 View Post
    Butter freezes well. There's no noticeable change in texture or flavor. Like I said in my original post, we buy it once a year on sale and freeze enough to use all year long. It's not a long term prep, but saving money that can then be spent on other things is an important part of prepping. On another note, we stopped using margarine years ago when we saw a Facebook video of someone putting it on the garage floor. Over time, mold never grew on it and insects never touched it. Go to the following link to find out why, but you're not going to like what you read. I didn't and I never touched the stuff again.

https://thatsbad4u.wordpress.com/201...-a-no-brainer/

And here's the most disturbing fact....

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

That information (that margarine will not rot & is not consumed by micro-organisms) is MOST interesting. I would maintain, however, that like so many other things that most of us will be unable to manufacture after a breakdown of society, MARGARINE will most certainly be an item that others will want to barter to obtain. Naturally real butter, like a fresh egg, will be at an even higher premium.

I believe that there may come a time when a lowly bottle of shampoo would be a boon. Anyone remember "Thunderdome"? After society breaks down, some simple things we take for granted will be highly desireable. And that breakdown is more of a possibility than most of us might imagine. I would consider salting some of it away!

Grim

Mmmmm been eating Margarine for as long as I can remember with no ill effects. It certainly isn't as good as butter I know. I much prefer real butter. Then again if I gave up everything that was supposed to be bad for me......well lets just say I ain't gonna. LOL Now I have given up a lot of things in the interest of living longer, blood pressure, and cholesterol but all under control now. I have my treats I allow myself on occasion and weekends. Booze, sex, a good juicy steak, etc. There are certain things I am not willing to give up to live longer. Without some perks what the hell is the point? LOL Butter freezes however, and that is of interest to me for short term storage. Thanks
    A Watchman, jdjones3109 and krusty like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Mmmmm been eating Margarine for as long as I can remember with no ill effects. It certainly isn't as good as butter I know. I much prefer real butter. Then again if I gave up everything that was supposed to be bad for me......well lets just say I ain't gonna. LOL Now I have given up a lot of things in the interest of living longer, blood pressure, and cholesterol but all under control now. I have my treats I allow myself on occasion and weekends. Booze, sex, a good juicy steak, etc. There are certain things I am not willing to give up to live longer. Without some perks what the hell is the point? LOL Butter freezes however, and that is of interest to me for short term storage. Thanks
    Booze, sex, a good juicy steak, etc. - Shame on you....you self indulging hapless human being. Do you not care that these things, amongst damn near everything else could possibly kill you?
    Prepared One, sideKahr and krusty like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links