What is a good hand mill for grains and seeds?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is a good hand mill for grains and seeds? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Can you recommend a good hand mill for grains and seeds? If found this one: http://www.amazon.ca/Weston-All-Purp...+and+seed+mill It is basically what I'm looking for, but there ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What is a good hand mill for grains and seeds?

Banned

Can you recommend a good hand mill for grains and seeds?

If found this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Weston-All-Purp...+and+seed+mill

It is basically what I'm looking for, but there are only 4 reviews and they aren't the best.

I want to be able to store whole grains, and popcorn seed rather than flour and corn meal.

Does anyone have experience with hand operated mills? which are the best, and are there any I should stay away from?
    Last edited by tinkerhell; 07-16-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    Slippy likes this.

I have no experience on this subject, but have read folks use coffee mills with success.

I have one and plan to use it....

here are my recommendation...

1 get one that can be converted to use with a bike or larger wheel.... if you are going to grind fine for bread... you will have to run it through at least twice.

2. look for a old mill you can fix up... they are solid

3. avoid anything with plastic..no plastic gears/handles, clamp..etc

4. one for grain will also work well for seeds

5. cast iron is wonderful

check out

shopgoodwill.com -- Search Results

Vintage Cast Iron No 1 Corn Coffee Bean Burr Mill Grinder Wheat Grain Grist | eBay

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Tinker,

I do not own one but have a friend who has one that she bought from Lehman's. I have bought some lanterns and small items from Lehman's and believe them to have quality products.

Good luck!
    https://www.lehmans.com/p-2844-lehma....aspx?show=all

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    Can you recommend a good hand mill for grains and seeds?

If found this one:

http://www.amazon.ca/Weston-All-Purp...+and+seed+mill

It is basically what I'm looking for, but there are only 4 reviews and they aren't the best.

I want to be able to store whole grains, and popcorn seed rather than flour and corn meal.

Does anyone have experience with hand operated mills? which are the best, and are there any I should stay away from?

I do not own one...but my research from years ago - these folks are the BEST

I have two mills and I will tell you right now to get one that uses stones - not the steel discs. The stone mills grind a finer flour and you only need to run it through once if the stones are properly set. Get one with a big pulley and a detachable hand crank. Hand cranking a flour mill is work that will exhaust a 20 something man in good shape and when you reach my age it becomes very important to be able to drive it a low speed with a motor or anything that multiplies the torque.
    The mills that use burrs are less efficient but the burrs do last longer than the stones. Get extra stones for your mill and always keep at least one spare set on hand. Get two spares and when you change the stones order a new set.

Maine-Marine, Slippy and Auntie like this.
    Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can.
    Samuel Adams

I have heard really good things about Grain Maker mills/grinders. But they are a bit costly.

Grinding Mills

Quote Originally Posted by Egyas View Post
    I have heard really good things about Grain Maker mills/grinders. But they are a bit costly.

Grinding Mills

Three words; Quality, Price, Service...You can have two but usually not all three.
    Maine-Marine and Auntie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Three words; Quality, Price, Service...You can have two but usually not all three.
    Yep.... here is the question

SHTF - do you want a $19 grinder or a $200 grinder

check out some antique stores...

here is a 1920+- grinder I bought and restored.... I stripped it down... added some non-rust stuff to all areas that were not used to grind and then painted all areas not used to grind

What is a good hand mill for grains and seeds?-grinder.jpg

It is work to grind wheat, we normally run it through 2 or 3 times and that is easier...

if SHTF and we use it more, I would hook it to a bike or small motor or get a bigger turn wheel
    Last edited by Maine-Marine; 07-17-2015 at 09:53 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links