Need Vacuum Sealer Advice......
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Need Vacuum Sealer Advice...... within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Our local butcher shop . . . usually does all our deer for us . . . are now backed up beyond our deer season. ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Need Vacuum Sealer Advice......

Our local butcher shop . . . usually does all our deer for us . . . are now backed up beyond our deer season.

SOooooo . . . I'm gonna have to do a "do it yourself" . . . butcher job should I get one.

I'm planning on canning some of it . . . and vacuum sealing the rest. Need a 5 star rating from you guys who have done this before.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Too time consuming.

Use a quality butcher frezzer paper. Wrapped properly I can get almost 2 years without frezzer burn.
    AquaHull likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

I have a sealer, I just wrap the venny in plastic wrap and cover it with butcher paper
    Bucket-Back since 2004

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I've been using the FoodSaver brand for at least 25 years. I would give it 5 starts. Trick I learned: I wrap all meats, etc. in Saran wrap. Prevents getting grease or juice on the seal area for a good seal. Since I ruse bags all the time, I have some that occassionally fail. Wrapping in Saran, the Saran is squished down against whatever you wrap, and if the bag fails, the tight Saran wrap film prevents freezer burn. Food saver has a unit for hunters. Makes more seals with out having to let the seal wire cool down as much as the regular unit.
    dwight55 likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

The one that costco sells Food saver. Iirc it's on sale now. I used couple different ones till I settled on this one. Works great!
    Last edited by Wedrownik; 11-21-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    dwight55 likes this.

Do you need a vacuum sealer, or just a sealer? If the latter, a simple impulse sealer will save you a ton of bucks over a vacuum rig.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Using same foodsaver ~20 years now. I do game and vegetables every year. Get plenty of quality bag material (rolls).
    dwight55 and 65mustang like this.

Foodsaver
    dwight55 and 65mustang like this.

I’ve been using vac sealers for over 10 years now and I have not had good luck with the cheaper Food Saver models sold in Walmart. So if you want Food Saver, my advice is go with a better model and not the cheapest on the Walmart shelf.
    stevekozak, dwight55 and 65mustang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    I’ve been using vac sealers for over 10 years now and I have not had good luck with the cheaper Food Saver models sold in Walmart. So if you want Food Saver, my advice is go with a better model and not the cheapest on the Walmart shelf.
    Mine is an old discontinued model. I did purchase it at big box store. I don't think I got the cheapest one. It came with extra stuff, the most valuable being the bag roll material dispenser/cutter.

I have OEM spare seals but not needed yet. Foodsaver runs specials on the bag rolls, I've got a good stash, to fill with Bambi parts.

Wrapping in saran wrap before sealing will help with problems of liquids seeping and bad seals. Another thing you can do is put veggies/meat in the freezer first, then seal the frozen materials. Lots of vegetables you should blanch before freezing, and even draining them still are wet. Same with fresh venison parts.
    dwight55, 65mustang and stevekozak like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links