Crazy freeze drying alternatives?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Crazy freeze drying alternatives? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I want to be able to put up beef for 20+ years. Buying a freeze dryer is not an option right now. But my brain ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Crazy freeze drying alternatives?

I want to be able to put up beef for 20+ years. Buying a freeze dryer is not an option right now. But my brain just won't let go of it. I know these are very likely ridiculous - if you humor me, thanks in advance.

I like my meat very well done, and I am not a gourmand, so moisture loss and/or toughness at the end of the day is no problem at all.

Idea 1: Fill a container with enough food-grade calcium chloride that is about twice what would be needed to totally desiccate a steak. Maybe freeze the steak first, probably not. Probably cook the steak first, maybe not. Then bury the steak in the calcium chloride, seal it up, and pop it in the deep freezer. Of course when using, the CC will need to be washed away, perhaps the steak will need to soak a bit.

Idea 2: "Marinade" a steak in food-grade propylene glycol. It will draw all the water out, and PG's freezing point is -74oF. The meat will freeze, but theoretically the water will all be absorbed by the PG which will still be fluid. In theory, I could then take the frozen steak out, rinse the excess PG, and put up a "PG-dried steak" in the deep freezer. I'm sure there will be some PG left, yeah. At time of use I may have to soak out the PG a little. PG is flavorless, it can give a little stomach upset in large quantities, but a well-done BBQing might take care of it anyhow.

Idea 3: Something involving lye, a la lutefisk.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Varangian View Post
    I want to be able to put up beef for 20+ years. Buying a freeze dryer is not an option right now. But my brain just won't let go of it. I know these are very likely ridiculous - if you humor me, thanks in advance.

I like my meat very well done, and I am not a gourmand, so moisture loss and/or toughness at the end of the day is no problem at all.

Idea 1: Fill a container with enough food-grade calcium chloride that is about twice what would be needed to totally desiccate a steak. Maybe freeze the steak first, probably not. Probably cook the steak first, maybe not. Then bury the steak in the calcium chloride, seal it up, and pop it in the deep freezer. Of course when using, the CC will need to be washed away, perhaps the steak will need to soak a bit.

Idea 2: "Marinade" a steak in food-grade propylene glycol. It will draw all the water out, and PG's freezing point is -74oF. The meat will freeze, but theoretically the water will all be absorbed by the PG which will still be fluid. In theory, I could then take the frozen steak out, rinse the excess PG, and put up a "PG-dried steak" in the deep freezer. I'm sure there will be some PG left, yeah. At time of use I may have to soak out the PG a little. PG is flavorless, it can give a little stomach upset in large quantities, but a well-done BBQing might take care of it anyhow.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Beef should not be well done ever med rare at most so therefore you should be asked " What do you want on your tombstone" and you should be shot to death.

Fill a container with enough food-grade calcium chloride that is about twice what would be needed to totally desiccate a steak.
    WTF are you thinking they use Calcium Chloride for dust control on my dirt road! Again you should be asked " What do you want on your tombstone" and you should be shot to death.

Lye ummmm No! Lye is for soap silly! " What do you want on your tombstone" and you should be shot to death.

"Marinade" a steak in food-grade propylene glycol.
    That's it there is no hope for you. " What do you want on your tombstone" and you should be shot to death.
    Last edited by hawgrider; 09-16-2020 at 09:59 AM.
    SGG, Inor, 65mustang and 3 others like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Pressure canning is probably going to get you the most time.
    65mustang and jimb1972 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Or Salt it and store it on your roof like the mountain men did. Bonus Shoot the critters trying to get to your salted meat stash on the roof.

You could always smoke it..... If you can find big enough rice papers to roll it in.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Regarding " 'What do you want on your tombstone' and you should be shot to death. "

I want my headstone to be clue #3 in a treasure hunt to find my valuables, hidden while I was alive. My most clever heirs get the most stuff.

By "valuables," of course, I mean calcium chloride and propylene glycol.
    Last edited by Varangian; 09-16-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Add quote
    SGG, NewRiverGeorge and hawgrider like this.

Regarding " 'What do you want on your tombstone' and you should be shot to death. "

I want my headstone to be clue #3 in a treasure hunt to find my valuables, hidden while I was alive. My most clever heirs get the most stuff.

By "valuables," of course, I mean calcium chloride and propylene glycol.

SGG likes this.

Thoughts? Other ideas?
    I grew up in a VERY Norwegian family and was forced to eat lutefisk every Christmas. Anything even remotely resembling lutefisk is an enormously bad idea!

Anybody trying to make beef or pork into lutefisk should be shot to death.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I grew up in a VERY Norwegian family and was forced to eat lutefisk every Christmas. Anything even remotely resembling lutefisk is an enormously bad idea!

Anybody trying to make beef or pork into lutefisk should be shot to death.
    Hahaha I had to look it up "WTF is Lutefisk"

Last edited by hawgrider; 09-16-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    Inor and Slippy like this.

Andrew Zimmern from "Bizzare Foods" almost threw up eating that Lutefisk sheet. Said it was the nastiest thing he ever had in his mouth, but after watching a few of his shows, I doubt that very much. He looks to be a little light in the loafers.
    hawgrider likes this.

I can see pressure canning ground beef or something similar for a couple year shelf life, but I just can't see doing anything like that to a good steak. or even a bad steak...

Why not just freeze it like most people do and deal with the 6 mos-1 year shelf life. You can keep rotating stock so you always have fresh inventory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links