Ketogenic Diet
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ketogenic Diet

This is a discussion on Ketogenic Diet within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Has anyone tried the Keto diet? I've been on it for nearly 2 years (well ... about 2 years in the end of October). I'm ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Ketogenic Diet

Ketogenic Diet

Has anyone tried the Keto diet? I've been on it for nearly 2 years (well ... about 2 years in the end of October). I'm only 5'9" but I was 230lbs. My belly was hanging over my belt and I couldn't see my toes. I had arthritis, gout, neck & back pain, facial acne, and I was prone to getting Staph infections.

I got down to 165 at one point but am now at a comfortable 180/185 range. No more joint or back pain or gout. I don't get acne or Staph and haven't been sick even once (colds, flu, Covid, etc.). At 60 years old, I've never been more energetic and healthy my entire life.

Also, there are lots and lots of really good recipes that will satisfy my craving for pasta or comfort food. You just have to know where to look.
    Kauboy, Sasquatch, Denton and 3 others like this.

Was 259.8 # at the docs in August 2017. Quit beer and bread, got down to 179 in March. Now at 210 #, but my gym opens up on the 9th

Green Onions, Cream Cheese, Smoked Turkey lunch meat rollup is great

Sausage Patty, Egg, Sharp Cheese is a decent breakfast. You may need two ?
    ActionJackson and Denton like this.
    Bucket-Back since 2004

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
    Has anyone tried the Keto diet? I've been on it for nearly 2 years (well ... about 2 years in the end of October). I'm only 5'9" but I was 230lbs. My belly was hanging over my belt and I couldn't see my toes. I had arthritis, gout, neck & back pain, facial acne, and I was prone to getting Staph infections.

I got down to 165 at one point but am now at a comfortable 180/185 range. No more joint or back pain or gout. I don't get acne or Staph and haven't been sick even once (colds, flu, Covid, etc.). At 60 years old, I've never been more energetic and healthy my entire life.

Also, there are lots and lots of really good recipes that will satisfy my craving for pasta or comfort food. You just have to know where to look.
    Wow, that's nice you're in good health! Congrats. I'm wondering if you have advise with regards to how to you handle food storage in terms of healthy eating? Thanks ahead.
    ActionJackson and Denton like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Wow, that's nice you're in good health! Congrats. I'm wondering if you have advise with regards to how to you handle food storage in terms of healthy eating? Thanks ahead.
    As it stands, I have almost 200lbs of frozen meat. But I'm aware that if the grid fails that I'm going to have to think fast as to how to salvage all of it. There are a number of people I know who actually can meat so I'd have to get as much cooked and canned as possible before it goes bad.

However, I also have a couple of year's worth of freeze-dried food in storage. True, there are a lot of carbs but I'll eat carbs as a last resort in a survival situation.

I also consider the Eskimos and Inuits who are some of the healthiest people on earth (or were before fast food joints found their way into those societies). They survived almost exclusively on meat and fat. A very hardy people with strong teeth and an iron constitution.
    Denton and Annie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
    As it stands, I have almost 200lbs of frozen meat. But I'm aware that if the grid fails that I'm going to have to think fast as to how to salvage all of it. There are a number of people I know who actually can meat so I'd have to get as much cooked and canned as possible before it goes bad.
    Jerky...... lots of jerky
    ActionJackson likes this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    Jerky...... lots of jerky
    I love jerky -- A LOT! However, most of the meat I have is in the form of ground beef. I have a few, small, whole chickens; a few pounds of chicken breasts; and several pounds of cold water fish (Alaskan Cod & Salmon, mostly). Years ago, I had a smoker for making jerky but don't have it anymore. I should probably consider getting another one.

The folks canning ground beef seal it in standard canning jars and put it on the shelf. Of course, they fully cook the meat first.

This lady makes it look easy (she's canning ground pork):

JustAnotherNut likes this.

grid down, big fire pit... racks from your grill and refrigerator.. jerky gun for the ground beef... and viola... jerky...
    ActionJackson and charito like this.
    -IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by ND_ponyexpress_ View Post
    grid down, big fire pit... racks from your grill and refrigerator.. jerky gun for the ground beef... and viola... jerky...
    Hmm. Never heard of a "jerky gun." I'll have to look it up.

Okay ... that looks really cool!

Super Moderator

Before my wedding I let my beer gut get a little out of hand. So me and Hot Nursey went on Keto (she had done it before). I lost 25lbs in 4 months. Was super easy and I had the energy mentioned in an earlier post.

Luckily for me HN is a great cook. She made all kinds of good things including biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, pizza, tacos, enchiladas and even pancakes.

I did miss not having fruit though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ActionJackson likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Before my wedding I let my beer gut get a little out of hand. So me and Hot Nursey went on Keto (she had done it before). I lost 25lbs in 4 months. Was super easy and I had the energy mentioned in an earlier post.

Luckily for me HN is a great cook. She made all kinds of good things including biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, pizza, tacos, enchiladas and even pancakes.

I did miss not having fruit though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I still eat fruit but just low carb fruit. Blueberries, black berries, strawberries, and raspberries. All low carb. I make hemp seed smoothies. Sweetened with some Monk Fruit sweetener or Stevia and a little sea salt. Yummy. I'm making myself hungry. I just avoid the ultra high fructose fruits (most of which are man made hybrids) like bananas, peaches, plums, apples, etc. I do miss them on occasion but I don't miss the blood sugar/insulin spikes that come with them.
    Sasquatch, AquaHull and charito like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links