Ketogenic Diet - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ketogenic Diet

This is a discussion on Ketogenic Diet within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by charito Some canned soups have low carbs like pea soup and cream of mushroom soup. Canned pea soup isn't what I would ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 46 of 46
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Ketogenic Diet

  1. #41
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    Some canned soups have low carbs like pea soup and cream of mushroom soup.
    Canned pea soup isn't what I would call low carb. Campbell's Split Pea with Han has over 20 net grams of carbs per serving. That might not affect some people's blood glucose (I can go up to about half a cup of legumes with no ill effects) but it might be too much for some people.
    Michael_Js likes this.

  2. #42
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Canned pea soup isn't what I would call low carb. Campbell's Split Pea with Han has over 20 net grams of carbs per serving. That might not affect some people's blood glucose (I can go up to about half a cup of legumes with no ill effects)
    I use Habitant's pea soup. A cup (250 ml), is 24 grams carbs but the fiber content is 8 grams - which you subtract.
    Therefore, a cup is equals to 16 grams!
    For me, that's low carb!

    Of course, it depends on the amount of carbs you want to have in a day. That amount of pea soup doesn't affect my blood sugar.
    I can have as much as 50 grams, and not gain weight. BUT, if I want to lose weight, I have to go below that.
    I lose weight at 30 grams.




    ......but it might be too much for some people.
    That's why it's very important to do blood testing BEFORE eating and 2 hours AFTER the first bite in the first few months.....so you'll know which foods are friendly to you. What may be friendly to me may not be kind to you.
    I know that I can eat 1/2 cup uncooked oats, or 1/2 medium yam, or 1 slice of brown toast with peanut butter and it doesn't
    give me any sugar spike. From what I understand, a jump of 3 or more in your blood sugar is considered a "spike."

    Once you get to know the foods you can eat and how much you can have, monitoring it gets easy.
    I now do testing only in the morning, and/or randomly, or if I try something different.
    Last edited by charito; 10-18-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    StratMaster likes this.

  3. #43
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    My cholesterol was over 300, too, which was only part of my motivation for starting keto. I was far more concerned with my blood glucose. It's counter-intuitive, but eating a high carb diet is more likely to raise cholesterol AND TRIGLYCERIDES than including animal fats.
    My cholesterol was high too when I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2. But my doctor said she isn't concerned about my cholesterol because it will get lower once I started losing weight....but she told me to take Omega 3 once a day, and increasing it until I take 3 capsules a day. The idea was to have a build-up of it in my system.
    I did as she told, plus I eat about 10 almonds a day, and ate avocado almost everyday. She was right.
    The next time I saw her (3 months after), my cholesterol was back to normal.

    I eat a lot of animal fats! I cook eggs in butter (which I eat practically everyday)....I eat steaks (the marbled ones because I can't stand the "healthy" dry ones), and pork - including the skin (I love the skin), cheddar cheese, etc.., I don't use anything labelled "light" or "low-fat."

    BUT - I try to balance it. If I eat more than 20 grams of carbs, I try to limit my intake of fatty stuffs.
    Carbs and fats together, don't go well with me - they give me massive heartburn, and it seems I gain weight fast, too.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    My cholesterol was high too when I was diagnosed with Diabetes type 2. But my doctor said she isn't concerned about my cholesterol because it will get lower once I started losing weight....but she told me to take Omega 3 once a day, and increasing it until I take 3 capsules a day. The idea was to have a build-up of it in my system.
    I did as she told, plus I eat about 10 almonds a day, and ate avocado almost everyday. She was right.
    The next time I saw her (3 months after), my cholesterol was back to normal.

    I eat a lot of animal fats! I cook eggs in butter (which I eat practically everyday)....I eat steaks (the marbled ones because I can't stand the "healthy" dry ones), and pork - including the skin (I love the skin), cheddar cheese, etc.., I don't use anything labelled "light" or "low-fat."

    BUT - I try to balance it. If I eat more than 20 grams of carbs, I try to limit my intake of fatty stuffs.
    Carbs and fats together, don't go well with me - they give me massive heartburn, and it seems I gain weight fast, too.
    My cholesterol was that high after I'd been on keto for a year and lost 50 pounds.

  6. #45
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    My cholesterol was that high after I'd been on keto for a year and lost 50 pounds.
    Could be the genes......that's why I have diabetes.
    Mind you, I was really pigging out on sugary stuff and rice and pasta....and 2 weeks before getting diagnosed - hubby and I were eating cherries in front of the tv by the tub! They were my fave - on sale and really good!
    Cherries are quite high in carbs - I really was so reckless in my eating habits I'm surprised diabetes hadn't come sooner.
    It gave me a warning though - twice I was diagnosed being pre-diabetes before that cherry-pigging out.
    I can't say I wasn't warned.


    I don't think high cholesterol ran in the family - but I can't be sure. I know high blood pressure did (my mom and her side of the family).....
    .....but my blood pressure has been normal throughout this time.
    Last edited by charito; 10-19-2020 at 04:17 AM.
    Michael_Js and StratMaster like this.

  7. #46
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,889
    Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    I use Habitant's pea soup. A cup (250 ml), is 24 grams carbs but the fiber content is 8 grams - which you subtract.
    Therefore, a cup is equals to 16 grams!
    For me, that's low carb!

    Of course, it depends on the amount of carbs you want to have in a day. That amount of pea soup doesn't affect my blood sugar.
    I can have as much as 50 grams, and not gain weight. BUT, if I want to lose weight, I have to go below that.
    I lose weight at 30 grams.






    What may be friendly to me may not be kind to you.


    Once you get to know the foods you can eat and how much you can have, monitoring it gets easy.
    I now do testing only in the morning, and/or randomly, or if I try something different.
    That's straight fact. There is no magic one-fits-all diet, because different people are sensitive to different foods. For me, anything but Keto bread is a no-no. Also, no plates of pasta... just a few mixed in with other foods. Seems I can have a cheese sandwich, or even a generous amount of Ranch dressing on a salad, and stay right in range. But butter is the worst food for me now. Butter will spike me from 110 to 165 *boom*. So like you say, test a LOT until you know what's good on the menu.
    charito likes this.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

 

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top