Ketogenic Diet - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ketogenic Diet

This is a discussion on Ketogenic Diet within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by paulag1955 Have you seen improvement in your numbers with dietary modifications? generally speaking.....triglycerides are the excess amount of fat in your diet ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Ketogenic Diet

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Have you seen improvement in your numbers with dietary modifications?
    generally speaking.....triglycerides are the excess amount of fat in your diet that the liver stores in your blood. But strangely enough, eating a keto/high fat diet doesn't hurt you and is better for you, AS LONG AS you increase exercise levels to burn off that excess fat, eat more of the RIGHT kinds of fats (animal fats), etc.

Carbs or more precisely.....refined carbs, like white rice, pasta & breads, alcohol, and some others.....the liver converts those things to sugars, that are stored as fat in the blood stream and creates high tri's. Animal fats, such as listed in the Keto plan are good for you and the body needs those types of fat and will burn it off automatically when in ketosis.

Though my numbers were only double what they should have been (300+ vs 150) and my Dr wanted me on meds, which I refused to take and went home to find out other ways of dealing with high triglycerides.....which set me on the path of the keto diet where I actually added more fats (animal instead of refined), exercise, etc that my numbers started dropping. Dr had to blink a couple of times when I told her how I did it.
    ActionJackson and charito like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    generally speaking.....triglycerides are the excess amount of fat in your diet that the liver stores in your blood. But strangely enough, eating a keto/high fat diet doesn't hurt you and is better for you, AS LONG AS you increase exercise levels to burn off that excess fat, eat more of the RIGHT kinds of fats (animal fats), etc.

Carbs or more precisely.....refined carbs, like white rice, pasta & breads, alcohol, and some others.....the liver converts those things to sugars, that are stored as fat in the blood stream and creates high tri's. Animal fats, such as listed in the Keto plan are good for you and the body needs those types of fat and will burn it off automatically when in ketosis.

Though my numbers were only double what they should have been (300+ vs 150) and my Dr wanted me on meds, which I refused to take and went home to find out other ways of dealing with high triglycerides.....which set me on the path of the keto diet where I actually added more fats (animal instead of refined), exercise, etc that my numbers started dropping. Dr had to blink a couple of times when I told her how I did it.
    My cholesterol was over 300, too, which was only part of my motivation for starting keto. I was far more concerned with my blood glucose. It's counter-intuitive, but eating a high carb diet is more likely to raise cholesterol AND TRIGLYCERIDES than including animal fats.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    I did the Keto diet for a few weeks. Lost 17 pounds.. Had a rough time going to restroom, if ya know what I mean..
    But, started traveling again, and just was difficult to keep it up, with no kitchen in hotels.
    Keto was even suggested by Doctor, before heart surgery earlier this year.
    The early stages of Keto certainly had a few challenges. It's takes the body awhile to readjust to the "shock" of processing carbs to processing ketones. I wasn't sure, in the beginning, if I could stick with it but the long term results have been well worth it -- in my case. I'll be 60 in 2 days and feel younger than I did at 45 (or between 45 and 58).
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    "The Duty Of A True Patriot Is To Protect His Country From Its Government"
    ~Thomas Paine~

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My cholesterol was over 300, too, which was only part of my motivation for starting keto. I was far more concerned with my blood glucose. It's counter-intuitive, but eating a high carb diet is more likely to raise cholesterol AND TRIGLYCERIDES than including animal fats.
    Exactly......I thought that's what I said, and why a keto diet is right up that same alley of helping with cholesterol, triglycerides, diabetes, etc
    ActionJackson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Exactly......I thought that's what I said, and why a keto diet is right up that same alley of helping with cholesterol, triglycerides, diabetes, etc
    You did say it, but I wanted to repeat it in a shorter post for anyone who skips over the longer ones.

You did say it, but I wanted to repeat it in a shorter post for anyone who skips over the longer ones.
    Sorry, just a bit jumpy lately.

But are you saying I'm long winded?????
    ActionJackson likes this.

Have you seen improvement in your numbers with dietary modifications?
    Oh yes. It's somewhat marginal compared to the statins I take, just as you say. My mom had the same disorder, with a tri count of 750. When I was admitted into the ICU, mine was 2000. Three different docs said they had never seen a level that high. Not news one wants to hear LOL. Gave me severe pancreatitis of course, and damaged my pancreas to the point I am now type II. With statins, I dropped to around 375... and stayed there for 6 months, making sure I was getting regular lab testing to see how I was doing. As I started in with dialing in my diet, in time I eventually had it controlled at 270. Quite marginal compared to the meds yes... but an extra 100 points for my situation is needed. Also I have the diet dialed for my blood sugar as well... my average reading now over a week's time is 117 (with Metformin of course). I haven't needed insulin for months, and intend to keep it that way. I treat myself to lots of the very best, fresh produce available... with lean meats, legumes, and egg whites. I eat like a king... just spend a lot more time in the kitchen cooking from scratch. No processed or fast foods. No starchy carbs.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Oh yes. It's somewhat marginal compared to the statins I take, just as you say. My mom had the same disorder, with a tri count of 750. When I was admitted into the ICU, mine was 2000. Three different docs said they had never seen a level that high. Not news one wants to hear LOL. Gave me severe pancreatitis of course, and damaged my pancreas to the point I am now type II. With statins, I dropped to around 375... and stayed there for 6 months, making sure I was getting regular lab testing to see how I was doing. As I started in with dialing in my diet, in time I eventually had it controlled at 270. Quite marginal compared to the meds yes... but an extra 100 points for my situation is needed. Also I have the diet dialed for my blood sugar as well... my average reading now over a week's time is 117 (with Metformin of course). I haven't needed insulin for months, and intend to keep it that way. I treat myself to lots of the very best, fresh produce available... with lean meats, legumes, and egg whites. I eat like a king... just spend a lot more time in the kitchen cooking from scratch. No processed or fast foods. No starchy carbs.
    Cooking from scratch is a lost art many had to do years ago.. I commend you for that... Its hard work, very time consuming.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

Quote Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
    Cooking from scratch is a lost art many had to do years ago.. I commend you for that... Its hard work, very time consuming.
    I've gotten to the point where I no longer trust what goes on behind the scenes at restaurants and other eating establishments. So I took up cooking for myself almost 2 years ago and have gotten to the point where I prefer my own cooking to any restaurants or even my past wives. I know what spices I like; how well to cook my meat; the texture and consistency and thickness of broths and sauces; etc.

I do a lot of improvising and trial & error. Some things work well together and some things most certainly DO NOT.
    StratMaster and charito like this.
    ~Thomas Paine~

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Very wise. I have mostly given up bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. However, every few days I will add twelve pieces of garlic pasta to my meal... just that small handfull mixed into whatever gruel I am making that day. When you don't eat pasta for awhile, 12 pieces really do stick out in the taste and texture when mixed into a good bowl of food. But not near enough to spike you.
    When I get a pasta craving I use one of two of the following:

Riced Cauliflower (which tricks my mouth into thinking I'm eating rice).
    Pasta made with Almond flour. The brand I buy (which I can't remember at the moment - and I buy from Natural Grocers) has a consistency similar to potato but not exactly.

Both satisfy my need for pasta.
    Last edited by ActionJackson; 09-08-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    StratMaster likes this.
    ~Thomas Paine~

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links