Ketogenic Diet - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Ketogenic Diet

This is a discussion on Ketogenic Diet within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Annie Wow, that's nice you're in good health! Congrats. I'm wondering if you have advise with regards to how to you handle ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Ketogenic Diet

  1. #11
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Wow, that's nice you're in good health! Congrats. I'm wondering if you have advise with regards to how to you handle food storage in terms of healthy eating? Thanks ahead.
    I store carbs. I tend to think there's going to be a lot more physical labor required if, for example, the grid were to go down, or food stopped showing up at the supermarket and your hobby garden was suddenly transformed into a survival garden. The keto diet keeps you healthy because it keeps blood glucose low, but a lot of physical activity can serve the same purpose.

  2. #12
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,889
    I cook up pretty much the same thing every morning:
    Cut up mushrooms, tomatoes, and sweet onions into a pot. Add some peppercorn grinds. Tear up and toss in a good handful of greens... they cook right in. There's your healthy carbs. Add in some meat... I like to use ground prime rib. Let it cook, and add in a couple eggs at the end (I use ONE egg, and some egg whites, as I am watching my triglycerides). Some days I add one big tablespoon of chili, just for flavor. Other days I will use one of those chicken pouches in fajita mix instead of the ground meat (Usually next to the tuna pouches at the grocer). Some days a couple tablespoons of spaghetti sauce. All varieties are quick, yummy, and do not spike my blood sugar. I have plenty of this stuff stored in the canned varieties... not as good but still not bad. I'm sure it will beat boiled rat.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

  3. #13
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    I cook up pretty much the same thing every morning:
    Cut up mushrooms, tomatoes, and sweet onions into a pot. Add some peppercorn grinds. Tear up and toss in a good handful of greens... they cook right in. There's your healthy carbs. Add in some meat... I like to use ground prime rib. Let it cook, and add in a couple eggs at the end (I use ONE egg, and some egg whites, as I am watching my triglycerides). Some days I add one big tablespoon of chili, just for flavor. Other days I will use one of those chicken pouches in fajita mix instead of the ground meat (Usually next to the tuna pouches at the grocer). Some days a couple tablespoons of spaghetti sauce. All varieties are quick, yummy, and do not spike my blood sugar. I have plenty of this stuff stored in the canned varieties... not as good but still not bad. I'm sure it will beat boiled rat.
    You know, dietary cholesterol has almost no effect on serum cholesterol or triglycerides.
    StratMaster and ActionJackson like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Goose Creek SC
    Posts
    2,510
    I did the Keto diet for a few weeks. Lost 17 pounds.. Had a rough time going to restroom, if ya know what I mean..
    But, started traveling again, and just was difficult to keep it up, with no kitchen in hotels.
    Keto was even suggested by Doctor, before heart surgery earlier this year.
    Anonymous — 'Beware the quiet man. For while others speak, he watched. And while others act, he plans. And when they finally rest… he strikes.'

  6. #15
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,889
    Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    You know, dietary cholesterol has almost no effect on serum cholesterol or triglycerides.
    I think that's true in general. My issue is rather more specific/genetic. Almost no effect isn't good enough. I've been in the ICU for a week over triglycerides. Poisoned my pancreas.
    Michael_Js and ActionJackson like this.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

  7. #16
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
    I love jerky -- A LOT! However, most of the meat I have is in the form of ground beef. I have a few, small, whole chickens; a few pounds of chicken breasts; and several pounds of cold water fish (Alaskan Cod & Salmon, mostly). Years ago, I had a smoker for making jerky but don't have it anymore. I should probably consider getting another one.

    The folks canning ground beef seal it in standard canning jars and put it on the shelf. Of course, they fully cook the meat first.

    This lady makes it look easy (she's canning ground pork):

    You better have or find a bunch of canning jars & lids NOW if you can. They've been a hot item since this began.......and canning meat is easy peasy. Most meat can be canned using raw pack method, which is just cramming the raw meat into the jars, then process......it makes it's own broth, the meat is tender & fully cooked when done. Some people to cook it first, then add water or broth to the jars. Choice is yours.

    Burger is usually cooked first, then 'dry can' it. Sausage & ground pork is done the same. I've not done fish before(yet), but I've also canned bacon, sausage links and even burger patties.


    You can also dehydrate meats but would recommend to trim off all fat...and burger as well and need to cook it thoroughly, then rinse under hot water, till it runs clear....to get rid of all the fats.
    ActionJackson likes this.

  8. #17
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    996
    As for keto diet and missing the items not allowed........just remember, All things in moderation. A few bites of something not on the list of acceptable choices, to fill that sinful void.....isn't going to break the bank as long as you have the fortitude to stick with the plan and keep any 'cheat treats' to a minimum.

  9. #18
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,889
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    As for keto diet and missing the items not allowed........just remember, All things in moderation. A few bites of something not on the list of acceptable choices, to fill that sinful void.....isn't going to break the bank as long as you have the fortitude to stick with the plan and keep any 'cheat treats' to a minimum.
    Very wise. I have mostly given up bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. However, every few days I will add twelve pieces of garlic pasta to my meal... just that small handfull mixed into whatever gruel I am making that day. When you don't eat pasta for awhile, 12 pieces really do stick out in the taste and texture when mixed into a good bowl of food. But not near enough to spike you.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

  10. #19
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    996
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    Very wise. I have mostly given up bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. However, every few days I will add twelve pieces of garlic pasta to my meal... just that small handfull mixed into whatever gruel I am making that day. When you don't eat pasta for awhile, 12 pieces really do stick out in the taste and texture when mixed into a good bowl of food. But not near enough to spike you.
    Looking into the Keto diet, there are some 'modified' versions from the standard or high protein diet plans, that does include some carbs and is still effective. They are called Targeted and Cyclical, which are more for body builders and athletes.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...diet-101#types

    There are several versions of the ketogenic diet, including:

    * Standard ketogenic diet (SKD): This is a very low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat diet. It typically contains 75% fat, 20% protein and only 5% carbs (1Trusted Source).

    * Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet involves periods of higher-carb refeeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high-carb days.

    * Targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): This diet allows you to add carbs around workouts.

    * High-protein ketogenic diet: This is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but includes more protein. The ratio is often 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs.

    However, only the standard and high-protein ketogenic diets have been studied extensively. Cyclical or targeted ketogenic diets are more advanced methods and primarily used by bodybuilders or athletes.

    The information in this article mostly applies to the standard ketogenic diet (SKD), although many of the same principles also apply to the other versions
    .



    I had tried my own version of keto a couple of years ago and it worked great, lost a bunch of weight & feeling better over all.....then I got lazy & sloppy with it and have suffered for it. Right back to where I started and I really need to get back on track. It doesn't help that I have a very small bone structure and not built to carry much extra weight. So it's no wonder my bones are giving out. Though it's hard for me to give up rice, breads & pasta cause I'm a 'carboholic' and those are my weakness. When rice & pasta was part of the meal, I had a small bowl with butter, salt & pepper first.....then had more with whatever was served with it. Breads are the staff of life so give me anything that isn't plain white over processed store bought.

    I ended up cutting back drastically on the carbs & other junk, but didn't deny myself completely. A lifetime of 'wrongs' don't just go away overnight because I said so. I dropped the extra bowl of rice or pasta with butter, salt & pepper, and reduced the amount with the regular meal. And often traded pasta for spaghetti squash (have not tried cauliflower rice yet, but sounds like a good alternative). And only whole grain breads, now & then.

    Basically I had not really cut anything out, but did re-arrange how or when I ate it.......meaning I'd pick ONE carb type, including carby veggies or fruits to have for that day, then build around it. I also included something of a breakfast or brunch that I don't normally eat. Usually I only eat one meal a day .....supper.


    Anyway, that doesn't mean everyone should do the same, I'm just saying what did work for me. And we'll see if it works for me again, starting today.

  11. #20
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    I think that's true in general. My issue is rather more specific/genetic. Almost no effect isn't good enough. I've been in the ICU for a week over triglycerides. Poisoned my pancreas.
    Have you seen improvement in your numbers with dietary modifications?
    StratMaster likes this.

 

 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top