Food Storage Meals
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food Storage Meals

This is a discussion on Food Storage Meals within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; The last three weeks we have started a new family tradition - Food Storage Meals! The kids take turns, and every Friday we either make ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Food Storage Meals

Food Storage Meals

The last three weeks we have started a new family tradition - Food Storage Meals!

The kids take turns, and every Friday we either make an entire breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert from only what we have in our food preps (including the garden which is... almost nothing at this point...). We pick one random ingredient that we have to use, to help us get creative with using everything. Here are the results so far:

Week One: Pinto Beans/Dinner
    We made pinto bean applesauce muffins, not too bad actually. We also made potato flake mashed potatoes and canned green beans to go along with it. No one complained. Success!

Week Two: Onions/Lunch
    We simply added dried onion flakes to our spaghetti and marinara sauce. They didn't love it. I think we were a little too liberal with the onion flakes. Oops. That's why we practice now, right?

Week Three: Rice Cakes/Dessert
    This was tonight's and it was the most fun one we have done so far. Rice cakes, marshmallows and chocolate chips. Microwave for 15 seconds. Quick, delicious and totally a morale booster if we need one. I think our solar generator can power the microwave to make these in a grid down situation. Otherwise, we all know how to make Smores the good old fashioned way.

Benefits of this new tradition...
    - I love that the kids are getting familiar with our food storage items, learning how to prepare them and enjoying them now, so it won't be unfamiliar if that's all we have to eat.
    - I worry that we won't rotate our food stores fast enough if I'm not consciously thinking about it. This reminds me to use all of our ingredients regularly.
    - This helps me think about how I am going to prepare family favorites in a grid down situation, which will make cooking less stressful in the long run.
    - I'm also learning where our food storage holes are.

This week was the perfect example... Should we store marshmallows? I mean... we love them... but they aren't necessary. Then when trying to think of a creative way to use rice cakes, we realized marshmallows was the easiest thing to have on hand. Case closed. We now store marshmallows. Maybe not as important as rice and beans, but let's be honest... I'd probably regret it if I didn't buy them and they suddenly became unavailable. Morale probably needs to be a little higher on our priority list with small children.

Anytime you actively use your preps in a fashion that you would if you had no other choice, you learn invaluable lessons. Too many people put food, water, batteries, fuel, etc away and never use them in actual practice. Murphy’s law is just waiting to put a crimp in your plans. There are often details in the use and application of your preparations that don’t show themselves until you actually use them.
    As far as storing marshmallows… you might want to try dry-canning them. They have a tendency to degrade quickly in heat, moisture or exposure to the air. On the other side, getting enough calories is a constant challenge in a stored SHTF diet. A couple s’mores added to a daily intake of beans and rice might not be a bad thing.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    The last three weeks we have started a new family tradition - Food Storage Meals!

The kids take turns, and every Friday we either make an entire breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert from only what we have in our food preps (including the garden which is... almost nothing at this point...). We pick one random ingredient that we have to use, to help us get creative with using everything. Here are the results so far:

Week One: Pinto Beans/Dinner
    We made pinto bean applesauce muffins, not too bad actually. We also made potato flake mashed potatoes and canned green beans to go along with it. No one complained. Success!

Week Two: Onions/Lunch
    We simply added dried onion flakes to our spaghetti and marinara sauce. They didn't love it. I think we were a little too liberal with the onion flakes. Oops. That's why we practice now, right?

Week Three: Rice Cakes/Dessert
    This was tonight's and it was the most fun one we have done so far. Rice cakes, marshmallows and chocolate chips. Microwave for 15 seconds. Quick, delicious and totally a morale booster if we need one. I think our solar generator can power the microwave to make these in a grid down situation. Otherwise, we all know how to make Smores the good old fashioned way.

Benefits of this new tradition...
    - I love that the kids are getting familiar with our food storage items, learning how to prepare them and enjoying them now, so it won't be unfamiliar if that's all we have to eat.
    - I worry that we won't rotate our food stores fast enough if I'm not consciously thinking about it. This reminds me to use all of our ingredients regularly.
    - This helps me think about how I am going to prepare family favorites in a grid down situation, which will make cooking less stressful in the long run.
    - I'm also learning where our food storage holes are.

This week was the perfect example... Should we store marshmallows? I mean... we love them... but they aren't necessary. Then when trying to think of a creative way to use rice cakes, we realized marshmallows was the easiest thing to have on hand. Case closed. We now store marshmallows. Maybe not as important as rice and beans, but let's be honest... I'd probably regret it if I didn't buy them and they suddenly became unavailable. Morale probably needs to be a little higher on our priority list with small children.
    You can also learn to make your own marshmallows. I've not tried it yet, but seems simple enough.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/home...o-zmaz00aszgoe
    Slippy and Amelia like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Dry canning is a great idea! I'll try that!

I'd have to store more ingredients to make vegan marshmallows (or regular marshmallows) than what I'm currently storing. Maybe one day I'll think about it... but right now I'm fine just buying them on sale.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    I'd have to store more ingredients to make vegan marshmallows (or regular marshmallows) than what I'm currently storing. Maybe one day I'll think about it... but right now I'm fine just buying them on sale.
    They're not easy to find!! Almost all have gelatin in them - which we know are animal hooves.

Peace,
    Michael J.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    You can also learn to make your own marshmallows. I've not tried it yet, but seems simple enough.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/home...o-zmaz00aszgoe
    That's your bamboo link!
    I could find making marshmallows on their site...

thank you,
    Michael J.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    They're not easy to find!! Almost all have gelatin in them - which we know are animal hooves.

Peace,
    Michael J.
    No they aren't! We use the Dandy's brand and our local discount grocer gets them in regularly for really cheap. So I can stock up whenever they get a shipment.
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
    That's your bamboo link!
    I could find making marshmallows on their site...

thank you,
    Michael J.
    I have no idea who did that....or how I missed this post .......but let's try that again,

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/h...-marshmallows/
    Michael_Js likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    I have no idea who did that....or how I missed this post .......but let's try that again,

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/h...-marshmallows/
    Thank you. That one is not vegetarian, as it calls for gelatin. I do see that you can buy vegetarian gelatin though: https://www.amazon.com/Agar-Powder-V...9146261&sr=8-6

Thanks!
    Michael J.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links