No power, which foods still edible
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on No power, which foods still edible within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; There has been power outages in several areas with recent storm. I have friends with electric stove who will be without power for several days. ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: No power, which foods still edible

There has been power outages in several areas with recent storm.

I have friends with electric stove who will be without power for several days.
    This means
    1. Freezer and fridge storage is shot.
    2. Nothing really to cook with.

So now I am re-evaluating my preparedness.

I presume canned beans are good and canned fish, peanut butter and crackers as well. Powdered eggs and milk ok too.

I was wondering about dried rice, lentils, and beans.
    Are these edible with just soaking in water or MUST they be cooked?
    Talking basics if forced to eat as such. Certain friends will just visit family for awhile.

Maybe you should read up on rocket stoves. You can buy them or make them yourself.

SGG, Pobilly Duke and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by peanutshere View Post

This means

I presume canned beans are good and canned fish, peanut butter and crackers as well. Powdered eggs and milk ok too.

Talking basics if forced to eat as such. Certain friends will just visit family for awhile.
    Nice introduction! HELP!!!! We like polite people.

If you have freezer full with ice in spots not occupied with food it should be safe/frozen a few days.

Where are you? We don't know. I'd go gather some wood and start a fire in my grill. Cook steaks from the freezer before they go bad.

Dried rice/beans/lentils soak first, then boil. Got a dutch oven? Boil beans/rice/lentils there over the wood fire. Maybe get yourself a Coleman stove for next time?

Raw dried beans/rice/lentils, soaked and raw, would be better than nothing. Better soak them a few days first.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My understanding is rice needs a minimum 15 minutes of boiling OR 10 minutes of boiling covered, then remove from heat and wrap covered pot in a towel and let it remain steeping for another 5 - 10 minutes.
    Be certain not to rinse the rice before cooking as it will lose the sprayed on nutrients.

My understanding is dried beans must be boiled between 60 and 90 minutes for newer ones and longer for years old (harder) ones.
    (Bean cooking times can be reduced if you use a pressure cooker (non-Electric) by placing a piece of flat metal directly under it over the flame source.
    Pressure can be controlled by sliding more (or less) over the heat source.)

Anything canned is already fully cooked. Therefore, fuel wise, canned beans are much better than dried beans.

Also See this link I posted today on cheap Homemade Rocket Stoves: https://www.prepperforums.net/forum/...flame-how.html

Best of luck to your friends.

P.S. The rocket stoves remain cool on their bottoms and can be used on a table. If skiddish place dirt on a board under the stoves.
    Consider using near an open window or fireplace chimney.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 08-08-2020 at 08:15 PM.
    Elvis, Denton, Slippy and 1 others like this.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

This means

I store propane as a prep, as well as having a propane stove to use if necessary. Solves a lot of problems. Back in the day, I used to stop at garage sales and pick up old Coleman 2 burner camp stoves for like $5 apiece... I have maybe half a dozen of those too. Along with your 40# bottles of propane , I like to have several dozen of the 3# Coleman tanks as well. These can be handed out to relatives and friends if need be, and everyone's cooking again.
    Denton, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

SGG

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Maybe you should read up on rocket stoves. You can buy them or make them yourself.

Badass
    Denton, Slippy and Steve40th like this.

Nothing like a minor event to show one what holes they have in their preps.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

This means

Too late for re-evaluation.

You are going to die.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
    SOCOM42, Slippy, hawgrider and 2 others like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Howdy and boy do I have a lot to tell you. Cooked food is important because many foods left uncooked are almost impossible to digest. Beans and Rice fall in this area. Frozen food are fine as long as the temperatures that they are stored at stays below 40 degrees Farinheight. Even if they thaw it doesn't matter as long as they are cool. Bacteria don't grow when the temperatures are below 40. I worked in restaurants for many years and in the foodservice industry before that. One reason that cheap restaurant food often seems to lack the robust flavor of home cooking or that of the better restaurants is that their food is often thawed and refrozen several times at least partially thawed. the taste suffers and there will be a slight reduction in the nutritional value but it is nonetheless "safe" to eat.

If the power in off leave your freezer closed and it will be fine for several days at least. You HAVE to leave it closed though. Chest type freezers are better than uprights when the power goes off because cold air is heavier than warm air and so you can gently open one and not lose all of your cold air. In Grocery stores you have open top freezer bins but upright ones have to have doors.

Canned foods are generally cooked and can be eaten as is right out of the can but generally taste better if warmed up and cooked a little bit. Tunafish is eatable right out of the can as are sardines and most other canned meats like ham and beef. Dry rice and beans are the best for the dollar survival foods if you don't want to spend a huge amount of money. They will keep for YEARS AN YEARS and when cooked and served together offer a complete protean. I also like cans of ham that I can add to the beans and rice for flavor.

It doesn't matter how much food that you have or have access to if you don't have a way to cook it. You also need can openers. I carry a P-38 on all of my keyrings. When it comes to the NECESSITIES I use the rule of three. One is none, two is some and three MIGHT be enough. I went WAY past three when it comes to ways to cook. For short term lights out type things I like a propane camping stove and have them in sizes from tiny to three burners. I also like to BBQ and have a big propane grill with a burner on the side. That is what I usually use when the power is out.

For more SERIOUS survival preparations You need to go with wood-burning stoves as much as possible. Any fuel that you have to buy is going to disappear FAST and then is not replaceable. For cooking in a pot, the rocket stove is the BEST. It burns almost completely and one generating it releases almost no smoke. It burns it! I have several but by far the one that I like best is an Eco zoom. The all-metal ones get HOT and will burn you is you touch them. Also, they are losing a lot of the heat. An Eco zoom is lined and insulated and you can cook a meal with a small handful of sticks. It is slightly bulkier than the metal rocket stoves but is usually slightly lighter. Another thing worth having is a large meat smoker. Mine will smoke 150 pounds of meat and has grates and sausage racks. It has a big firebox on the side that can also be used as a grill. If you kill a dear during the summer you need to be ready to smoke it immediately unless you are feeding 50 people.

This is the one that I have and have been super happy with it.

https://ecozoom.com/collections/rocket-stoves

Learn how to cook outdoors. It is fun and my WIFE LOVES it when I cook outside. I use the rocket stove for crawfish boils and it has no problem beinging 10 gallons of water to a rolling boil. this is also something to think about when the water from the taps stops flowing. I cook breakfast on it and make a lot of things that you can cook on high heat. It gets a little tedious trying to simmer things on a low heat. its a ROCKET STOVE and not a slow cooker.

When you are cooking for survival with limited resources do not cook meat on a grill over a fire. the fat melts and is lost and that is a huge part of your calories and nutrition. Sear it in a pot and then turn it into a soup, a stew or smother it. That way you get all of the value from it. If you are bugging in I recommend that you gather up a set of cast iron cookware. You can get it cheap at a lot of places used and then recondition it and season it yourself. I am using a skillet that belonged to my great grandmother. It is well over a hundred years old and is BETTER than the day it was first bought. As they season they become better and better. Nearly all of my cast iron has come down the line to me and is all in perfect condition. I even have a little three-legged pot that my Great-Great-Great had with him at Gettysburg. It still works fine though the legs are not as long as they once were.

If you are going to bug out you will have to go for lighter weight stuff until you settle in a place. I know that aluminum is lighter but personally i think that stainless steel is worth the weight difference.

For lights out, you might consider things like canned spaghetti and meatballs, beef stew, canned soups... Crackers keep pretty well and go with these pretty good. All that you need is a one-burner propane stove and you can feed yourself and family. I've had one like this for several decades with no problems.

https://boatersemporium.com/products...ove-2000020950

This means

What the hell rock have you and your friends been hiding under?????

You cannot be that ignorant as not to know the preparation of these basic items, read the F'N labels.

People with electric stoves are, politely, fools, without a non electric backup. No charcoal grill?

Get yourself some canned spam and a forkl it will keep you going.

You speak of preparedness, do you even know what it means other than having a case of TP and a bottle of PERRIE?

I think you must be a troll with this claimed level of ignorance.

We had a storm hit here Wed. put our power out for 11 hours,

the only inconvenience was starting the genset to cool the freezers.

We have also been without power for two weeks at a time, no problem there either.

I have a gas fired kitchen stove that requires no electric to run, just a spark lighter to light.

My wall heaters require none, also built in piezo.

At this ignorance level, not to worry you will all be dead in two weeks.

What are you going to do with powdered milk and eggs, eat them dry with a spoon?

still need something to cook the eggs with, perhaps a nice bowl of Escargot to go with them?

I cook rice and beans everyday of the week, sorry no filet mignon or t-bone, we bring rice to a boil ,

then simmer till done, wait, you have nothing to cook with!

I threw out the electric stove 55 years ago, installed 3 gensets a gas stove and two oil burners,

two propane wall heater, and a wood stove.

Always have 5 cord of wood on hand for the stove, no firepit in the yard either.

I live in new england and it gets cold as hell here, you keep you upwardly mobile fancy hardware an suffer with it.

Climb into your Mercedes and move to the Hamptons.

The price of a pair of Jimmy Choos would get a real nice gas stove.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-08-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    Slippy and Pobilly Duke like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links