No power, which foods still edible - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

No power, which foods still edible

This is a discussion on No power, which foods still edible within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by SOCOM42 NOT true. When have you seen me not give solid advice, when needed??? IMHO this person is a troll, or mommy ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: No power, which foods still edible

  1. #21
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Where you least expect it.
    Posts
    7,547
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    NOT true.

    When have you seen me not give solid advice, when needed???

    IMHO this person is a troll, or mommy does all the cooking.

    There is not one iota of prep referred to in the post

    IF the person is prepping at any level, how hell can they not know the answers to the questions they ask.

    Cook rice and beans???? my kid could do that at 11/12 years old.

    Oh, Yeah, it is 5+ decades.
    So go back "5+" decades and look at yourself. Did you know everything back then? Would you have just as easily asked such a simple question, stupid as it was?

    Fact is, we ALL were, and still are, ignorant.
    stevekozak likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

  2. #22
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    All good advice @TexDanm .

    Most rocket stoves are sold out now but you can make one pretty easy. It won't be as durable or pretty but will work. The one @Redneck posted looks like beast! I might add a damper to it.

    Going to be hard to find now but Coleman stoves are great for bug out or bug in. Need fuel, so a multi fuel one is best. You might be able to retrofit a multi fuel generator to a white gas model, but time is running out to do that. Get an extra fuel pump. A good companion is their lantern, but I'd save the fuel for cooking.

    For backpacking or BO I have a MSR dragonfly. Light and will simmer or boil water fast. Will run white gas/unleaded or diesel/kero/jet fuel. Field serviceable and repair kit is tiny.
    Large and small fuel bottles. A 20 oz bottle of white gas/unleaded lasts me a week in the winter woods. Folds up to fit inside 2-L cook pot. Most of these are sold out right now.

    https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/liqui...fly/11774.html

    Attachment 107713

    Propane is more bulky and has less BTUs. Also gets to be useless when very cold. For bug in a good option though. If your stove at home is electric a counter top two burner propane stove is a great back up, but consider a big tank and long hose. I just found a commercial grade 4 burner on CL. That will be for canning outside in summer heat, but can double as a counter top too. I need to get a big tank.

    Concerning freezers a full one stays colder. If you have empty space fill it with clean water in 1/2-gal/2-L jugs/bottles. The ice will stay a long time when power goes out, and is clean cold water when it melts. Winter time here, a freezer in an unheated building will use almost no energy and take a long time to defrost.

    Since OP seems not prepared for cooking, how about drinking water when the tap goes dry?
    Mad trapper... you are absolutely right...
    the MSR Dragonfly stove is a beast... it will burn gasoline, kerosene.. and white gas! its great in all weather and temperature and can cook high, or low and still sip fuel, and is small enough to pack as a bug out stove.. plus you can still use it for backpacking!
    the only downside with it is as you said the availability, the noise!! (jet fighter), and the Cost... I had one in the 90s... and sold it to a buddy .. but back then I think it was $90s... now its like $139

    a slightly cheaper alternative is multifuel stoves from coleman..

    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campi...51160566&psc=1

    they're not as sexy, they're not as light... and I don't think you can burn kerosene in them (but you can burn white gas, and unleaded gasoline) and they work fine and are pretty sturdy. but for half the price, that may be a lot easier to swallow for allota folks here who want to save the $70.. (BEER)

    fyi.. I switched to a whisperlight stove which was just as great to use for camping.. and is still working 30 years later... mainly because it was so easy to find and use white gas.. and i found one on sale for cheap...
    Mad Trapper likes this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NORTHEAST USA
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Homemade rocket stove
    Nice job!
    Chiefster23 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Homemade rocket stove
    @Chiefster23 did you do all of this? did you design cut, and weld all that metal?
    If you did respect!!!

    from what i see it looks like you even have a grate / ash pan in the wood feeding part.... smart... respect... makes it easier to clean out the ashes as your still cooking...
    those heavy duty pot supports look like that thing can hold and support a man size bathtub if you need to!

  6. #25
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    2,449
    Full disclosure here. I designed it and cut/fit all the parts. I had a friend weld it. I used to weld a lot in my younger days but that was years ago. I wanted this stove to look good and function well so I called in the cavalry for the welding. Yes the lower horizontal tube has an upper and lower chamber. Feed the fuel in the upper chamber and the lower tube provides an unobstructed flow of air to the bottom of the burning fuel. Actually, I had originally planned to insulate the vertical tube to improve performance. I may still do that in the future.

  7. #26
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NORTHEAST USA
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    So go back "5+" decades and look at yourself. Did you know everything back then? Would you have just as easily asked such a simple question, stupid as it was?

    Fact is, we ALL were, and still are, ignorant.

    No I did not know everything, and still don't know everything, never will.

    The difference here for me since you brought it up, is, I find out things on my own, I ask no one questions about anything.

    The only exception to that is while I was in classes.

    But I did know how to cook then and had for quite a while as a related item to this.

    Learned a bit about and food storage in the army and what to use.

    Today as a hobby, I am teaching myself hematology,

    something I knew very little about, and I don't ask anyone questions about it.

    I read, prep slides and evaluate,

    I check my results against the annual lab results for myself, been spot on for two years now.

    There are other parts to this learning curve including prepping microtome samples of tissue that I am doing.

  8. #27
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NORTHEAST USA
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDOC View Post
    Mad trapper... you are absolutely right...
    the MSR Dragonfly stove is a beast... it will burn gasoline, kerosene.. and white gas! its great in all weather and temperature and can cook high, or low and still sip fuel, and is small enough to pack as a bug out stove.. plus you can still use it for backpacking!
    the only downside with it is as you said the availability, the noise!! (jet fighter), and the Cost... I had one in the 90s... and sold it to a buddy .. but back then I think it was $90s... now its like $139

    a slightly cheaper alternative is multifuel stoves from coleman..

    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Campi...51160566&psc=1

    they're not as sexy, they're not as light... and I don't think you can burn kerosene in them (but you can burn white gas, and unleaded gasoline) and they work fine and are pretty sturdy. but for half the price, that may be a lot easier to swallow for allota folks here who want to save the $70.. (BEER)

    fyi.. I switched to a whisperlight stove which was just as great to use for camping.. and is still working 30 years later... mainly because it was so easy to find and use white gas.. and i found one on sale for cheap...
    Plus one on the Coleman!

    Have several stoves and fuel on hand, plus lanterns.
    stevekozak likes this.

  9. #28
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Where you least expect it.
    Posts
    7,547
    Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    .....

    The difference here for me since you brought it up, is, I find out things on my own, I ask no one questions about anything.

    ......
    So why is asking questions a taboo? Isn't that a way others can learn? Learn, as opposed to being condemned?
    stevekozak likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

  10. #29
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    1,857
    Don't eat raw kidney beans unless you want a first-class case of gastroenteritis. They contain a toxin and must be cooked before consuming.
    SOCOM42 and Michael_Js like this.

  11. #30
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NORTHEAST USA
    Posts
    8,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    So why is asking questions a taboo? Isn't that a way others can learn? Learn, as opposed to being condemned?
    No, nothing wrong with asking questions, I did not say it is taboo.

    If I thought asking questions here was stupid, I would not give answers to them or even be here in the first place.

    I think I have answered questions on far ranging subjects here that are important to survival.

    If you don't think so and or others feel the same way, then I am wasting my time here trying to help.

    Do you think I have been talking out of my ass on any subject I have responded to, just say so.


    I don't have any side reason to post here,

    like trying to promo my business as a gunsmith or to sell my products I make, not third party crap either.

    I have guns come in from all over the country for work, @Denton knows what I do and how well known I am,

    I turn down tons of work because of my age, and I don't want to work 50 hours a week anymore.


    The thing I saw is that he/she or its group of neighbors could be that naive to those basic things, as said I think a troll.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-09-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    Denton likes this.

 

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top