Layering Buckets Question
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Layering Buckets Question within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm storing food for 3-7. I'm new to using FG buckets and oxygen absorbers. My plan is to store grains, beans, rice and green coffee ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Layering Buckets Question

I'm storing food for 3-7. I'm new to using FG buckets and oxygen absorbers. My plan is to store grains, beans, rice and green coffee and a few other things in buckets. If a 5-gallon bucket holds about 36 lbs. of those items, you would have several buckets taking up a lot of space open at any time just for core staples. So, I loaded up some gallon Mylar bags then stuck a couple in a bucket to see how they fit. Not an efficient way to pack a bucket. Next thought was layering a bucket with 4 or 5 bulk foods, but how to keep the layers separate. I thought back to the days when my mother bought used feed bags to make clothes. Did some research. Cotton needs to have oxygen to prevent deterioration. More research and no ideas yet.

Anybody layering their bulk foods? If so what are you using to separate your layers?

The coffee, wheat and oats in the gallon bags will go in totes with good lids, which may be better than buckets any way.

Hmmmm. 5 items.... in a 5-gallon bucket?

If my math is correct, 5 one-gallon mylar bags should fit.
    Slippy likes this.
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Hmmmm. 5 items.... in a 5-gallon bucket?

If my math is correct, 5 one-gallon mylar bags should fit.
    Its not basic addition. The problem is geometry. Five individual 1 lb bags take up more space that one 5 lb bag. The container is round and the bags aren't, so there is wasted space.
    Slippy and inceptor like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by beaujames7 View Post
    I'm storing food for 3-7.
    Unless you are only planning for a one week crisis, seems to me if you are storing for 3-7 folks, then you wouldn't need to layer. 36 lbs of any staple is certainly not too much of you want to feed 7 people.

But if you are so limited on space & aren't concerned about not having enough food for a crisis, then just throw several in the same 5 gallon bag. If there is a crisis & you need your stores, I'm sure someone will have the time to sort it all out once you open it up. To me, it is more important to have as much food as possible as opposed to cutting back on food just to keep each one separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Unless you are only planning for a one week crisis, seems to me if you are storing for 3-7 folks, then you wouldn't need to layer. 36 lbs of any staple is certainly not too much of you want to feed 7 people.

But if you are so limited on space & aren't concerned about not having enough food for a crisis, then just throw several in the same 5 gallon bag. If there is a crisis & you need your stores, I'm sure someone will have the time to sort it all out once you open it up. To me, it is more important to have as much food as possible as opposed to cutting back on food just to keep each one separate.
    I am limited on space but that isn't the issue. I'm planning on storing for a lot more than a week, my pantry has that. I will be storing for at least 2 years with a rotation system in place. I just don't want to have 10 buckets open at a time when I can condense the storage use it up and open another bucket. As I rotate I will learn how to better store quantities. I don't believe that TEOTWAWKI is going to happen in November. The person sorting would likely be me and making bullets may be time better spent if things go sideways.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by beaujames7 View Post
    I am limited on space but that isn't the issue. I'm planning on storing for a lot more than a week, my pantry has that. I will be storing for at least 2 years with a rotation system in place. I just don't want to have 10 buckets open at a time when I can condense the storage use it up and open another bucket. As I rotate I will learn how to better store quantities. I don't believe that TEOTWAWKI is going to happen in November. The person sorting would likely be me and making bullets may be time better spent if things go sideways.

Seems odd to me if you are gonna have 3-7 folks to feed, that you would be the only one sorting. How long would it take to separate 5 lbs of beans and rice? With a simple screen, you could separate the tiny rice from the bigger beans in maybe 2 minutes. Put 2 staples in one pail and now you only have 5 pails open.

But your plan also seems a bit off to me. I think the vast majority of preppers who store staples in 5 gallon pails, mylar bags & oxygen absorbers, as I do, don't plan on rotating those stores every 2 years. They are long term stores & good for 20+ years. One rotates food in freezers & the pantry... not normally your long term stores. Your beans, rice, pasta, etc. should be fine in your pantry without O2 absorbers & pails... if you are gonna rotate every 2 years. All my food in my pantries, that maybe mice could get to, are in large plastic bins. They should store for 2 years easy.
    Last edited by Redneck; 07-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    inceptor likes this.

Its not basic addition. The problem is geometry. Five individual 1 lb bags take up more space that one 5 lb bag. The container is round and the bags aren't, so there is wasted space.
    Who says each bag has to have exactly 1 gallon of stuff in it?
    Prepping is not a destination... it is a journey.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

But your plan also seems a bit off to me. I think the vast majority of preppers who store staples in 5 gallon pails, mylar bags & oxygen absorbers, as I do, don't plan on rotating those stores every 2 years. They are long term stores & good for 20+ years. One rotates food in freezers & the pantry... not normally your long term stores. Your beans, rice, pasta, etc. should be fine in your pantry without O2 absorbers & pails... if you are gonna rotate every 2 years. All my food in my pantries, that maybe mice could get to, are in large plastic bins. They should store for 2 years easy.
    You make valid points which I won't take issue with, as I said I'm new to storing in 5 gallon pails, my experience is canning vegetables, fruit and meat. I have given consideration to 20 year stores, but I'd like to test my skills for a couple years too. Besides that in 20 years I'll be in my 90's and some one else will be in charge, I hope.
    jimb1972 likes this.

Personally, I don't have separate long term storage vs pantry goods......I just have alot of food supplies that can last until hopefully things improve (up to 1 year with most goods), and it's constantly being rotated and replaced as it's used.

I have flour, sugar & rice all in separate buckets. Some dry beans are kept in a large container but I've been canning most of them....so it's easier to just heat them up for a meal, instead of the overnight soak and cook all day. Coffee is kept as is from the store, so is pasta and other stuff.....but then again, I don't really understand the concept of having both a full pantry, plus a huge stockpile for 20 years, that's never touched.
    Chiefster23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    but then again, I don't really understand the concept of having both a full pantry, plus a huge stockpile for 20 years, that's never touched.
    Everyone & every situation is different. In my case, there is only me and my wife here and our rotated stores in the freezers & pantry would last us around a year. I have thousands of lbs of long term storage. I have that storage for an extreme crisis, where there would be no food available for a year or more... and maybe never. In such a crisis, I would expect family & friends to come down to the farm. As I've stated in multiple threads, I also plan on helping out most of the neighbors on our dead end lane. I want all of us working together... not threats to everyone. Thus the need for long term stores that never get touched.

This pandemic has shown us how vulnerable our nation's food supply is.
    Last edited by Redneck; 07-31-2020 at 05:25 AM.
    JustAnotherNut and inceptor like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links