Layering Buckets Question - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Layering Buckets Question

This is a discussion on Layering Buckets Question within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by paraquack Rirst off, it sounds as if you want to store dry foods in a 5 gallon bucket without Mylar bags. Not ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Layering Buckets Question

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Rirst off, it sounds as if you want to store dry foods in a 5 gallon bucket without Mylar bags.
    Not the case at all. I have 5 gallon Mylar bags too, but I wouldn't put full gallon bags inside a larger bag. With 3 vertical and one horizontal you're probably storing 12 -18 lbs in a bucket that will store 30 - 35 lbs that's the inefficiency I was referring to.

Illini Warrior makes an excellent point about materials that can off gas chemicals.

I haven't looked at the link that Redneck provided yet but I will.

A box of 45's wouldn't be Christmas for me, I would prefer full ammo boxes of various calibers. Heritage seed and tools I have.
    Redneck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Yes, I agree with you on about all of that. And maybe if resources allowed, I'd have a few things set aside as long term only.

I guess I've just got the 'sustainability' thing stuck in my head, that I would be able to provide most of our food over a longer period of time. But in order to really do that I would need more land, than what I have available. Atleast for meat anyway. But I'm also thinking our regular diet would change from what it is now.

If we were forced to survive on only what we can produce here, and didn't have to worry about neighbors.....we'd probably be ok, not great & optimal by any means, but we could survive. It would improve considerably if we were able to find outside sources to add more variety. There are a couple of neighbors not far away that do have more land that is currently unused. IF we could tap that to use for bigger crops and other livestock for a portion of it, then we and others would benefit as well. Now if the lady down the road that has 20 acres (largest land plot in the area), would let me manage it and with others help.....there could be alot more food for more people available on a regular basis. But she's a weird one, that's for sure so that avenue isn't really available YET.
    I think for long term survival, you need to be able to grow enough beans, potatoes and a true grain of your choice to get you through a year. Meat is nice, but not strictly a necessity. Conversely, if all you had available to you was whatever meat you could hunt...you could survive on that, too, for quite a long time; there are no essential carbohydrates.

Quote Originally Posted by beaujames7 View Post
    Not the case at all. I have 5 gallon Mylar bags too, but I wouldn't put full gallon bags inside a larger bag. With 3 vertical and one horizontal you're probably storing 12 -18 lbs in a bucket that will store 30 - 35 lbs that's the inefficiency I was referring to.

Illini Warrior makes an excellent point about materials that can off gas chemicals.

I haven't looked at the link that Redneck provided yet but I will.

A box of 45's wouldn't be Christmas for me, I would prefer full ammo boxes of various calibers. Heritage seed and tools I have.
    It is inefficient, but at my state of health, I try to keep everything at 25 pounds or less. I even transferred al ammo to .30 cal ammo cans.
    But with the probability that it will be just and my wife, opening a 5 gallon Mylar poouch of food seems a bit risky for critters getting in to
    the food. A person has to do what they feel is best for them in their most likely situation.
    inceptor, Annie and paulag1955 like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Agreed

[QUOTE=paraquack;2028221]It is inefficient, but at my state of health, I try to keep everything at 25 pounds or less. I even transferred al ammo to .30 cal ammo cans.
    But with the probability that it will be just and my wife, opening a 5 gallon Mylar poouch of food seems a bit risky for critters getting in to
    the food. A person has to do what they feel is best for them in their most likely situation.[/QUOT

Everybody’s situation has variables and you have to adapt for what best suits yours.

In my case we are 3 men sharing a home, 2 bachelors and a divorced grandfather with daughter and son in law , 2 grandchildren. The most likely scenario would be combining the 2 households if SHTF, so a total of 7. The planning and execution fall to me. The rest of the adults are all fat, dumb and happy.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    By itself, with no outside threat, self sufficiency would be extremely hard to achieve for most folks... even in the best of times. Now imagine trying to do so with no additional supplies. And what are the odds of not having to worry about neighbors or outside raiders? Large gardens would be a target of anyone who sees them.

The devil is in the details. For every plan you have you need to think, where are the weak points? Do you have the seed & tools to make these gardens? How do I protect myself & my gardens from outsiders... including neighbors? What if the crisis starts in the early fall and you have many months before you can even start your gardens? Etc. etc.
    JMHO but this would be the best case scenario. When the chaos goes full blown, the first part of it will not be controllable. By spring people who have survived should be more willing to cooperate. That's when you can plan and work community gardens and community defense. I don't see much of that happening in the beginning of the chaos. That may be different where you are but I'm thinking about the majority of burbs and small towns.
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    JMHO but this would be the best case scenario. When the chaos goes full blown, the first part of it will not be controllable. By spring people who have survived should be more willing to cooperate. That's when you can plan and work community gardens and community defense. I don't see much of that happening in the beginning of the chaos. That may be different where you are but I'm thinking about the majority of burbs and small towns.
    You have a point about the timing. If the crisis started as I said, early Fall, you wouldn't have to worry about protecting gardens. Now in my situation, no one can see my gardens or orchards, even from the dead end lane. They are down in the bottom. But the way I see it, this is the time when defense will be needed the most... both my own & community. During that initial panic, once food starts running out, the last thing I want is people I know, my neighbors on my lane, becoming threats to my family on the farm. Almost all are hunters & if they were starving, and I wasn't, then they could take me out at any time. Also, during this time, I would expect roving gangs of folks to be heading for the country. It is at this time community defense will be the most critical. I would want to stop anyone from coming down our lane. I'm near the end of that lane, along with two farmers with cow herds.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it realistic to think all these starving people will leave you alone. I also don't think it realistic that you can defend what you have, no matter how many guns. I feel like the only way to survive is thru community. All working for joint security & all working to provide food for all. I have not brought up my plan with any neighbors but would do so at the point people finally realize this is life or death. I'd start with the farmers and get them on board first. They should realize their herds will need protecting. With them on board, they can provide as much food or more than I have, as we thin down their herds. The other neighbors wouldn't provide as much food but we will need manpower for proper security & for working the gardens.

I know most people think I'm crazy. They think all they need is enough food & enough guns, and they will survive the crisis. And maybe they are right. I just think starving people will be a force to reckon with. Starving neighbors would bother me the most and likewise, the way I see it, would be the greatest threat.
    inceptor, Annie and BamaDOC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    You have a point about the timing. If the crisis started as I said, early Fall, you wouldn't have to worry about protecting gardens. Now in my situation, no one can see my gardens or orchards, even from the dead end lane. They are down in the bottom. But the way I see it, this is the time when defense will be needed the most... both my own & community. During that initial panic, once food starts running out, the last thing I want is people I know, my neighbors on my lane, becoming threats to my family on the farm. Almost all are hunters & if they were starving, and I wasn't, then they could take me out at any time. Also, during this time, I would expect roving gangs of folks to be heading for the country. It is at this time community defense will be the most critical. I would want to stop anyone from coming down our lane. I'm near the end of that lane, along with two farmers with cow herds.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think it realistic to think all these starving people will leave you alone. I also don't think it realistic that you can defend what you have, no matter how many guns. I feel like the only way to survive is thru community. All working for joint security & all working to provide food for all. I have not brought up my plan with any neighbors but would do so at the point people finally realize this is life or death. I'd start with the farmers and get them on board first. They should realize their herds will need protecting. With them on board, they can provide as much food or more than I have, as we thin down their herds. The other neighbors wouldn't provide as much food but we will need manpower for proper security & for working the gardens.

I know most people think I'm crazy. They think all they need is enough food & enough guns, and they will survive the crisis. And maybe they are right. I just think starving people will be a force to reckon with. Starving neighbors would bother me the most and likewise, the way I see it, would be the greatest threat.
    I have thought about this a lot. You really do have a good plan.

In my case, I barely know my neighbors. Except for one, we've maybe said hi and that's about it. I'm in the burbs. A decent burb but a burb just the same. I have no idea of what or how these people think. Most stay to themselves. I'm in and out a fair amount because I work some outside of my garage. I've had a couple stop by because of my ham antenna's but they didn't stay long and that's pretty much it.

And yes, I'm aware there is no way for anyone to make it on their own. In my case, it's just me and my wife, no kids. We have one of her sisters close by and her grown kids and families. All in all I figure it will be up to me to care for up to 10 people. I also know that it will take a neighborhood effort to stop the bad guys. I just hope they realize that also.

I have limited storage and even more limited growing area. My backyard is 20' deep with 2 large trees back there. There used to be 3, meaning very little sun in the back but one had to be taken out to my relief. I have started learning to grow food, I joined our local master gardeners so I get to hang out with people who are excellent at this. At this moment I have 1 5' x 3' waist high raised bed for growing with also an area to grow herbs. I did a thread on this a few years back with pics. I intend to build at least 2 more but I also know that won't be enough. There is a field nearby that we can use, if I can get people to agree to assist. It will be for all. I do have enough seeds stored for a couple of years worth of growing for all.

I do have a plan B but I'm not sure how that will play out. I also have a plan C but he lives about 800 miles away.
    Annie and Redneck like this.

[QUOTE=beaujames7;2028287]
    Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    It is inefficient, but at my state of health, I try to keep everything at 25 pounds or less. I even transferred al ammo to .30 cal ammo cans.
    the food. A person has to do what they feel is best for them in their most likely situation.[/QUOT

Everybody’s situation has variables and you have to adapt for what best suits yours.

In my case we are 3 men sharing a home, 2 bachelors and a divorced grandfather with daughter and son in law , 2 grandchildren. The most likely scenario would be combining the 2 households if SHTF, so a total of 7. The planning and execution fall to me. The rest of the adults are all fat, dumb and happy.
    Whatever works for you and your 2 "husbands". The world has gone crazy with all kinds of LGBTQFU type of folks so it doesn't surprise me, but this might be a "first" for prepper forums!

Carry on!

Super Moderator

I'm storing food for 3-7. I'm new to using FG buckets and oxygen absorbers. My plan is to store grains, beans, rice and green coffee and a few other things in buckets. If a 5-gallon bucket holds about 36 lbs. of those items, you would have several buckets taking up a lot of space open at any time just for core staples. So, I loaded up some gallon Mylar bags then stuck a couple in a bucket to see how they fit. Not an efficient way to pack a bucket. Next thought was layering a bucket with 4 or 5 bulk foods, but how to keep the layers separate. I thought back to the days when my mother bought used feed bags to make clothes. Did some research. Cotton needs to have oxygen to prevent deterioration. More research and no ideas yet.

Anybody layering their bulk foods? If so what are you using to separate your layers?

The coffee, wheat and oats in the gallon bags will go in totes with good lids, which may be better than buckets any way.
    As others have said, it sounds like you're doing long term food storage, not rotation storage.

If you're storing food in mylar with oxy absorbers, it's unnecessarily redundant to use food grade buckets.

Also perhaps you could consider putting the labeled and dated mylar bags into some galvanized metal trash cans from the hardware store, which would provide easy access and be rodent proof at the same.

If you plan on consuming the food within one or two year's time, don't bother with the mylar. Just toss it into the metal can in the original packaging. Things like dried beans, rice and pasta will stay perfectly fine.
    Last edited by Annie; 08-02-2020 at 07:01 AM.
    paraquack and Redneck like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

[QUOTE=Slippy;2028369]

Whatever works for you and your 2 "husbands". The world has gone crazy with all kinds of LGBTQFU type of folks so it doesn't surprise me, but this might be a "first" for prepper forums!

Carry on!
    Who said anything about husbands? I've belonged to a Harley riders forum for years and have observed that often times posters with high number of posts are the ones that can be counted on to be the most judgemental of people they know nothing about.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links