canned meat
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

canned meat

This is a discussion on canned meat within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I would like to buy some canned meat, but Survival Frog is out....tried to get food from them, after 14 weeks of waiting, I did ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: canned meat

canned meat

I would like to buy some canned meat, but Survival Frog is out....tried to get food from them, after 14 weeks of waiting, I did get my $$ back.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to who I can order canned beef from? I have tried to find on the Net, but keep getting the same company.
    macbee

What are you wanting?

Keystone Meats

Chicken, turkey and pork are in stock. Canned meat isn't cheap. You might want to consider canning your own.
    Last edited by paulag1955; 07-28-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    Mad Trapper and Maine-Marine like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Macbee: I can't help you but maybe I can.

I have been involved with a 50 adult long term survival retreat. Done a lot of research over the years. I have never found any beef that was affordable much less available.
    I suggest that there is no real market for it. Perhaps that is why you cannot find any.

I do not know what your needs are, how far along in prepping you are or where you are trying to get to. But just as a suggestion let me share with you, as well as other Preppers, just now getting into prepping.

We started out raising chickens and rabbits but gave up on the rabbits because we cannot store enough feed for them to reproduce at the rate needed. Without bagged food we would have difficulty feeding them and critter food has a short life. We realized that chickens can be free ranged and will return home to roost at night. Rabbits will just run off if they were free ranged. So we abandoned our rabbit barn, herd and setup.

This left us chickens. We then ran cost estimates for raising both rabbits and chickens. They were about the same. More cost analysis revealed the critter's cost per butchered pound was the same as for canned ham & Spam (same difference). But if you are in suburbia, the canned hams last 40 years, are fully cooked and do not make noise so that you have to run out at midnight to protect them and risk your life in doing so.

So then we realized we began our search wrong to begin with. In the beginning we set out to provide "meat".
    We ended up planning to deliver protein in a survival situation. That changed all of our shopping parameters.

* Exactly how much protein is needed for the first 3 months out of a stay of 6 months? 6 months out of a 9 month stay, etc.?
    * If cost is a factor what is the most economical then the next most economical, etc.
    * Food storing, fuel for preparing, availability of product, etc.
    * We never considered flavor.

We ended up with the following Protein Delivery systems:

Most Economical:
    Canned Beans & Rice. When beans are eaten within 8 hours of rice, the two combine to produce protein. That is why the majority of people on earth consume beans and rice.
    50 lbs of rice stores well just as bagged for many years. Canned beans are fully cooked and last about 40 years. Rice only takes 10 to 15 minutes to cook. Dry beans take 1.5 hours to cook.
    One adult can live quite well on beans and rice for three months on 100 lbs of rice ($35) and 50 cans of Pinto, Red, Kidney, Black, Chile, etc. beans (cost $40 from any Dollar store). Thus throw in seasonings and one adult can food prep for a 3 month period for only $100. This will supply the body all the protein and calories it needs.

Next Economical: 1 pound canned hams from Dollar stores (cost $3).
    Spam (same costs);
    Canned Chicken (about the same costs);
    canned Tuna;
    canned turkey.

Note: All of the above are readily available anywhere.

Suggestion: Spice them up with various seasonings, canned Cream of chicken and Cream of mushroom soup, canned tomatoes, etc.

This will get you prepped faster and cheaper than chasing down the expensive unattainable roast beef sandwich without the bread.

Our goal was to have survivors being able to crawl out of our life boat at the very end of a long survival journey, period.

Hope this helps someone.

P. S. If anyone requests I can post more information on the beans and rice, flavors, minimum servings for sustained health, etc.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-28-2020 at 05:24 PM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

The Good Cop

Canned corn beef from Argentina, Spam, canned ham.

All will store a long time if kept away from exceesive heat, say a store room that hits 120 degrees in the summer.
    Prepared One and 65mustang like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Canned meat can't be beat.
    But its best to do it yourself save big bucks and enjoy a better product.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Macbee View Post
    I would like to buy some canned meat, but Survival Frog is out....tried to get food from them, after 14 weeks of waiting, I did get my $$ back.
    Does anyone have a suggestion as to who I can order canned beef from? I have tried to find on the Net, but keep getting the same company.
    macbee
    You know something, I shouldn't go off on your ass but I will because people like you piss me off.

What the hell you been doing all your dang life?

OOOOH OOOOOH LET ME ANSWER THAT ONE!

Damn sure not being prepared or thinking ahead. And now that shat has hit the fan in some areas you want US to do your research on canned meat of all things?

(Slippy mumbles something and walks away from this thread...)

1 pound canned hams, spam, keystone canned meats, canned chicken, canned hash, canned corn beef, tuna, etc..........all available at Walmart.

Canned carp is wonderful. Make a person chunk rocks at Salmon. I snagged a case of Keystone Beef a years back. Still good last I tried one. Makes good sloppy joes and soup. Think Wally World peddles it if anybody wants to deal with a sleazy comnpany that gave a 300 million buck blackmail payment to Black Lies Matter. Which means they dont need any of my money.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    1 pound canned hams, spam, keystone canned meats, canned chicken, canned hash, canned corn beef, tuna, etc..........all available at Walmart.
    And if your Walmart is 40 minutes away like ours is, Dollar General has all that, too.
    Dollar Generals are everywhere in the rural South. Many times it is the only place to shop. I am grateful for them.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links