canned meat - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

canned meat

This is a discussion on canned meat within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by paulag1955 Keystone Meats Chicken, turkey and pork are in stock. Canned meat isn't cheap. You might want to consider canning your own. ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: canned meat

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Keystone Meats

Chicken, turkey and pork are in stock. Canned meat isn't cheap. You might want to consider canning your own.
    yep.... love keystone - get it on amazon, walmart, online....
    paulag1955 likes this.
    Be a Berean

Most walmarts have fully cooked great value roast beef for $2.74 for a 12 ounce can.

And yes, we have it along with spam treat and corned beef in our pantry.
    65mustang likes this.
    It's all true, give or take a lie or two.

How do you leach out the salt?
    Just soak in a few changes of fresh water.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Just soak in a few changes of fresh water.
    For how long?
    65mustang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    And if your Walmart is 40 minutes away like ours is, Dollar General has all that, too.
    Dollar Generals are everywhere in the rural South. Many times it is the only place to shop. I am grateful for them.
    Same here. We love em to pieces. I bought everything I needed to make my world famous Purto Riccan Tres Leches Cake at one Yesterday. All it takes is to make a cake..White Betty Crocker...wait for it to cool..poke holes in it..then dump one can of Eagle brand milk..one can of Evaporated milk mil and a can of water with three tablespoons of melted butter in it. Let that soak for a while then cover it with whipped cream and get it nice and cold in the ice box. Very popular at Salsa Dances whten they aint busy cutrting and shooting. .
    Tres Leches means three milks Purto Riccan lingo.,,for any yankee grigos who dont know ahat it means.
    https://www.tastingpuertorico.com/tres-leches-recipe/
    Last edited by bigwheel; 07-30-2020 at 04:42 PM.

For how long?
    If the water is very salty, to taste, change it. I do it several times and start out with a rinse.

It will take a while to leach out all the salt, you don't need to do that. I don't try to get all the salt washed out, just so I don't have a sodium bomb.

This will also wash out other salts that they add to cured/processed meats , like sodium nitrite, which is worse for you (carcinogen) than sodium chloride.

Sodium nitrite reacts with amines in meat to form N-nitrosoAmines, which are carcinogens. The acid in your stomach catalyzes this process.

I try to avoid meats processed with nitrites if possible (e.g. I buy smoked bacon rather than salt cured bacon with nitrites, the same for sausages and kielbasas). Read the label of ingredients.

Eating foods high in vitamin C, an antioxidant, will give some protection from nitrosomines, when consumed with the that type of processed meat. I'm not sure if the cabbage, in corned beef and cabbage, provides enough vitamin C to provide protection?

https://www.healthambition.com/proce...amines-cancer/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ry/nitrosamine

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2507690/
    paulag1955 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    YUP, I have hundreds of them also, great for crucial conditions.

Three quarters of mine are stored in unheated shelters and freeze for about six months out of the year.

I fry up slices and serve with pancakes, then another time with grits, eggs and toast, or hash browns eggs and toast.

I use them sparingly because of the contents.

I can tell you that in the middle of winter in Germany, those green cans were a Godsend to us in the field.

This is where I learned about Spam, we had WW2 and Korean issued cases in the bunker.

Heated them in boiling water, and ate them right out of the can sometimes cold,

with a fork with some Jon Wayne crackers and black coffee while on watch.

Was ready to pour the water and coffee on to the 1919A4 to get it going if needed.

Oh we also had at times shelf stable bread that we used for spam sandwiches, mine with mustard.
    Well here is a picture of the in shop spam and others.

There are 96 cans of Spam there.
    canned meat-spam-45-s-026.jpg
    Annie, hawgrider and Pobilly Duke like this.

Oh, looky here...Goya produces canned ham.
    Yeah Buddy, at $10.00 a pound? No thanks. I think I saw some at dollar general or dollar tree for around $3.00 a pound.
    hawgrider likes this.

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    Yeah Buddy, at $10.00 a pound? No thanks. I think I saw some at dollar general or dollar tree for around $3.00 a pound.
    For 10 bucks a lb I could be pressure canning prime rib and porterhouse.
    Chiefster23 and 65mustang like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
    It's less expensive (on Amazon) than the Dak canned hams, and not everyone has a Dollar General or a Dollar Tree handy. I think the Dollar Tree nearest to me is an hour and a half away. I've never seen a Dollar General.
    65mustang likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links