canned meat - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

canned meat

This is a discussion on canned meat within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Prepared One I store plenty of canned Ham, Tuna, Corned beef hash, Chicken, and Spam, all bought from Wally World or one ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: canned meat

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I store plenty of canned Ham, Tuna, Corned beef hash, Chicken, and Spam, all bought from Wally World or one of the other food chains here. I picked up 5 more cans of Spam last week as a matter of fact. I haven't noticed a shortage of that kind of stuff but I am sure if things continue as they have it very well could be in short supply. I have been adding more of those items to my storage over the past few months. I see trouble ahead.
    From Feb through June here there was no Spam, Dak Hams or other canned meats available, even now they are limited.

The Spam is part of my primary diet plan for SHTF along with beans and rice.

I may well get sick of eating it all, but it will carry us for 5 years.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 07-29-2020 at 05:38 AM.
    Prepared One likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    From Feb through June here there was no Spam, Dak Hams or other canned meats available, even now they are limited.

The Spam is part of my primary diet plan for SHTF along with beans and rice.

I may well get sick of eating it all, but it will carry us for 5 years.
    I have noticed the can goods in general have been limited but there was plenty of spam as I walked down the isle at Wally World last week. Didn't notice ham or chicken. Things are getting worse and I would expect that canned meats will be getting scarce as we go along. I love spam so I make sure I have plenty in storage. I can mix it with anything to stretch the meals out.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I have noticed the can goods in general have been limited but there was plenty of spam as I walked down the isle at Wally World last week. Didn't notice ham or chicken. Things are getting worse and I would expect that canned meats will be getting scarce as we go along. I love spam so I make sure I have plenty in storage. I can mix it with anything to stretch the meals out.
    My Mom would take two cans of Spam, put a little brown sugar on top of slices, then broil them.

A might tasty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

plenty of straight out canned meat is important - but don't forget the meat mixed ready to eat like chili and stews >>> heat and serve will be an intrigal aspect during a serious SHTF - where keeping the head down means keeping it ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    The big cans of salmon can be a better deal than tuna. Mix that up with pasta, onions garlic celery eggs spices......
    You mean the big cans of tuna like at the supermarket? With the skin and bones left in? I wouldn't eat that so I don't buy it. The Costco salmon (it's not their house brand but I don't remember off the top of my head what the brand is) has the skin and bones removed.

Still no DAK Hams or Spam at the club as of 3:00 PM today.
    Prepared One and 65mustang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    plenty of straight out canned meat is important - but don't forget the meat mixed ready to eat like chili and stews >>> heat and serve will be an intrigal aspect during a serious SHTF - where keeping the head down means keeping it ...
    And for that matter, canned chili can be eaten cold straight out of the can.
    65mustang likes this.

Oh, looky here...Goya produces canned ham.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    You mean the big cans of tuna like at the supermarket? With the skin and bones left in? I wouldn't eat that so I don't buy it. The Costco salmon (it's not their house brand but I don't remember off the top of my head what the brand is) has the skin and bones removed.
    Yes, but salmon not tuna. The bones are cooked so soft you don't notice them and provide a good source on minerals, and the skin lots of calories/fat.

I'll have a good crop of tomatoes and peppers this summer, might put some of those up as chili if I can get sausage and hamburg at a good price.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 07-30-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    The best canned chicken and tuna available, IMO is Costco's house brand, Kirkland. The tuna especially is outstanding and it's canned in water, not vegetable (I.e., soy) broth. Costco also has canned sardines for, IIRC, less than $0.99/can. The canned salmon is more expensive, but is wild caught, not farmed. Costco is a prepper's friend.
    Good stuff!!!
    paulag1955, bigwheel and 65mustang like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links