What is your timeline for storage?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What is your timeline for storage? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Just how long are you preparing for? 6 months? 1 year? 5 or 10 years? My goal has always been to have enough food & ...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: What is your timeline for storage?

Just how long are you preparing for? 6 months? 1 year? 5 or 10 years?

My goal has always been to have enough food & supplies put up to last about a year and the ability to provide more for longer.....as with my chickens & garden.

BUT is that really enough? Simple answer is probably not and it would actually depend on many outside influences as to how long we'd need to survive from our stores. But what kind of timeline do you expect your stores to last or that you would need it???
    Michael_Js likes this.

6 months minimum and plenty of seeds for next years’ planting.
    JustAnotherNut and Joe like this.

If left alone, I can live well past a year. However, I do not expect to be left alone.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    If left alone, I can live well past a year. However, I do not expect to be left alone.
    And there's the rub my friend.
    "It Can't be fixed".
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    And there's the rub my friend.
    Indeed my friend, I am an army of one with nothing more to lose since my wife passed. Those who would think me easy prey would be wise to consider that. Then again, how could they know that I have nothing more to do in this life then to take a bunch of useful idiots to hell with me.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

1-2 years
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    1-2 years
    Damm @Slippy !

How much bourbon do you have stashed?

We, for five years, expect no one other than my brother and wife.

Have no blood relatives left alive to leech, ex in laws been told NEVER come here.

duplicate, system screwed again, no change in post count of 7,976, should have gone to 7,977.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 07-28-2020 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    BUT is that really enough? Simple answer is probably not and it would actually depend on many outside influences as to how long we'd need to survive from our stores. But what kind of timeline do you expect your stores to last or that you would need it???
    The way I see it, it makes no difference if your stores can last you over a year, if you can't be secure/safe. Your security is as important, or more so, than how much food you have. If you don't have a valid plan for long term security then your stores may go to others. Sure, we all have guns... lots of guns. But in reality, last thing you want to do is constantly fight for your survival. Rambo isn't real. In the real world, anyone can get hurt/killed in a fight. Sure, you can maybe fight off some raiders but what about your neighbors that are starving? They have a right to be there so you just can't shoot them on sight. If they are starving and you have plenty, they become a huge threat. At any time, one or more neighbors could take you out to have access to your preps.

So yes I have stores enough to last me & mine a few years. But my plan is to share my stores with most families on our rural, dead end lane. The plan would be to come together as a small community to share resources and for joint security. That way your neighbors don't become a threat. On our lane, we have a couple of farmers with cattle herds. We have a dentist and a couple of nurses. Most are rednecks and are avid hunters/woodsmen. Several have large gardens, one has bee hives and a few, like me keep chickens. I have a pond full of grain fed catfish and there are several larger lakes around. The woods are full of deer & other game but I wouldn't expect that to last.

So I see my stores as a temporary fix to provide food for many for a short amount of time... under a year. It is designed to buy us time to get organized and to get food crops in the ground so that the community can become self reliant. I keep many hundreds of pounds of garden seed in storage and at the fist sign of a crisis, when others are fighting over food in the stores, I'll be at the farm supply loading up on more seed, fertilizer & chemicals.

Everyone's situation is different, so I understand what I plan wouldn't work for many. However, I'm afraid too many preppers just think about how much they have in storage and don't really consider their safety... besides being Rambo.
    Last edited by Redneck; 07-28-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links