Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

What is your timeline for storage?

7K views 82 replies 17 participants last post by  BamaDOC 
#1 ·
Just how long are you preparing for? 6 months? 1 year? 5 or 10 years?

My goal has always been to have enough food & supplies put up to last about a year and the ability to provide more for longer.....as with my chickens & garden.

BUT is that really enough? Simple answer is probably not and it would actually depend on many outside influences as to how long we'd need to survive from our stores. But what kind of timeline do you expect your stores to last or that you would need it???

#3 ·
If left alone, I can live well past a year. However, I do not expect to be left alone.

#10 · (Edited)
BUT is that really enough? Simple answer is probably not and it would actually depend on many outside influences as to how long we'd need to survive from our stores. But what kind of timeline do you expect your stores to last or that you would need it???
The way I see it, it makes no difference if your stores can last you over a year, if you can't be secure/safe. Your security is as important, or more so, than how much food you have. If you don't have a valid plan for long term security then your stores may go to others. Sure, we all have guns... lots of guns. But in reality, last thing you want to do is constantly fight for your survival. Rambo isn't real. In the real world, anyone can get hurt/killed in a fight. Sure, you can maybe fight off some raiders but what about your neighbors that are starving? They have a right to be there so you just can't shoot them on sight. If they are starving and you have plenty, they become a huge threat. At any time, one or more neighbors could take you out to have access to your preps.

So yes I have stores enough to last me & mine a few years. But my plan is to share my stores with most families on our rural, dead end lane. The plan would be to come together as a small community to share resources and for joint security. That way your neighbors don't become a threat. On our lane, we have a couple of farmers with cattle herds. We have a dentist and a couple of nurses. Most are ******** and are avid hunters/woodsmen. Several have large gardens, one has bee hives and a few, like me keep chickens. I have a pond full of grain fed catfish and there are several larger lakes around. The woods are full of deer & other game but I wouldn't expect that to last.

So I see my stores as a temporary fix to provide food for many for a short amount of time... under a year. It is designed to buy us time to get organized and to get food crops in the ground so that the community can become self reliant. I keep many hundreds of pounds of garden seed in storage and at the fist sign of a crisis, when others are fighting over food in the stores, I'll be at the farm supply loading up on more seed, fertilizer & chemicals.

Everyone's situation is different, so I understand what I plan wouldn't work for many. However, I'm afraid too many preppers just think about how much they have in storage and don't really consider their safety... besides being Rambo.

#15 ·
The way I see it, it makes no difference if your stores can last you over a year, if you can't be secure/safe. Your security is as important, or more so, than how much food you have. If you don't have a valid plan for long term security then your stores may go to others. Sure, we all have guns... lots of guns. But in reality, last thing you want to do is constantly fight for your survival. Rambo isn't real. In the real world, anyone can get hurt/killed in a fight. Sure, you can maybe fight off some raiders but what about your neighbors that are starving? They have a right to be there so you just can't shoot them on sight. If they are starving and you have plenty, they become a huge threat. At any time, one or more neighbors could take you out to have access to your preps.

So yes I have stores enough to last me & mine a few years. But my plan is to share my stores with most families on our rural, dead end lane. The plan would be to come together as a small community to share resources and for joint security. That way your neighbors don't become a threat. On our lane, we have a couple of farmers with cattle herds. We have a dentist and a couple of nurses. Most are ******** and are avid hunters/woodsmen. Several have large gardens, one has bee hives and a few, like me keep chickens. I have a pond full of grain fed catfish and there are several larger lakes around. The woods are full of deer & other game but I wouldn't expect that to last.

So I see my stores are a temporary fix to provide food for many for a short amount of time... under a year. It is designed to buy us time to get organized and to get food crops in the ground so that the community can become self reliant. I keep many hundreds of pounds of garden seed in storage and at the fist sign of a crisis, when others are fighting over food in the stores, I'll be at the farm supply loading up on more seed, fertilizer & chemicals.

Everyone's situation is different, so I understand what I plan wouldn't work for many. However, I'm afraid too many preppers just think about how much they have in storage and don't really consider their safety... besides being Rambo.
Yeah I get that and had thought our little community would come together to help each other out, but due to some recent changes and 'developments', that may or may not still be an option. While I can't feed everybody, I can currently help them to help themselves.....by offering up a few chickens & garden seeds or how to make a pound of burger stretch to feed 4 people 4 meals in exchange for??? I doubt most peoples cupboards are completely bare at any given time (yet or currently), so that would give some time to get them set up to provide for themselves. But that diminishes the closer we get to fall/winter. It would be nice to have enough warning of some future event that would upset the cookie cart, so that the neighborhood could come together to make a plan and get everyone set up to ride out whatever trouble.......but that means alot of people having to be on the same page & ready to hear it & act on it. While you can count on others to want to eat & survive & know their backs are covered for safety DURING an event......you can't count on them to have the forethought right now to be willing to 'come together' to achieve that.

And because of recent changes in the neighborhood, we've been toying with the idea of getting rid of the chickens and not doing another garden next year, just so we don't stick out like a sore thumb. But we really don't want to do that since we finally have a great broody hen and a darned good rooster. Both of which can be impossible to find & get back later. It's quite the conundrum.

#11 · (Edited)
@*******,

here is where you and I differ, I don't have any close neighbors,

save one an old lady and her 65 year old daughter.

And yes we are rural ourselves. the other side of the lake

has become infested with some of the wealthiest people who commute to

Boston everyday to their upper management positions,

they have driven the property values sky high and the taxes too.

Now, what there are for "neighbors" on the main road,

I have never met and never will.

They, from their appearances are a lot better off than I am,

and many have nice boats on the lake.

I do not give a shit for them or their survival,

just like they couldn't care less about mine.

I have been here for 43 years now and never have met any of them,

including the ones who have moved out in the past.

I will provide nothing to them, they would probably not even look here,

based on their status, of upwardly mobile libtards.

#12 ·
@*******,

here is where you and I differ, I don't have any close neighbors, save one an old lady and her 65 year old daughter.

Now what there are for "neighbors" on the main road, I have never met and never will.

They, from their appearances are a lot better off than I am, and many have nice boats on the lake.

I do not give a shit for them or their survival, just like they couldn't care less about mine.

I have been here for 43 years now and never have met any of them, including the ones who have moved out in the past.

I will provide nothing to them, they would probably not even look here based on their status, upwardly mobile libtards.
As I said, everyone's situation is different. I have several close in neighbors that are friends. I know all on our lane.

#16 ·
I’ve already rebuilt my food and supply stocks back up to pre-covid levels. Actually, better than that. I probably have more on hand now than ever before. I increased antibiotics and spare parts. I’ve already bought next years seeds. I’m increasing levels of non-long term foods. I even found bread flour and yeast today. I’ve got a second small freezer in hand now and got an additional 3 nato jerry cans. Heating coal and fuel oil all topped up already. I will fill all the fuel and diesel cans in the fall and fill up the freezers with meat pre-election. I’m planning on things going totally to shit right around election time and I want stocked to survive with only one or two grocery runs per month for fresh veggies all winter. Also laying in a full winters worth of dog food in October. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst.

#19 ·
I've already rebuilt my food and supply stocks back up to pre-covid levels. Actually, better than that. I probably have more on hand now than ever before. I increased antibiotics and spare parts. I've already bought next years seeds. I'm increasing levels of non-long term foods. I even found bread flour and yeast today. I've got a second small freezer in hand now and got an additional 3 nato jerry cans. Heating coal and fuel oil all topped up already. I will fill all the fuel and diesel cans in the fall and fill up the freezers with meat pre-election. I'm planning on things going totally to shit right around election time and I want stocked to survive with only one or two grocery runs per month for fresh veggies all winter. Also laying in a full winters worth of dog food in October. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst.
Any chance you can find a spot inside your house for a few plant pots, that you can grow some fresh veggies?

Also, if you have a garden growing now.....as you harvest from it and pull the plants, you can still prep the bed and replant for a fall harvest. Those cool weather veggies, like some lettuces, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, etc that can handle some light frosts can even survive a freeze or two if you protect it somehow......either a cold/hot frame of some sort, or some kind of row cover, or even extra mulch. Doubtful it will protect all winter, but can sure extend the growing season

#17 ·
I was given a two year old refrigerator/freezer combo, stainless steel job, will be here in the next week or two.

It is going in my shop replacing the GE "monitor" that was in there, it died after 87 years!!!!!!

That freezer will be filled quickly, along with other stuff in the fridge part.

The important thing I found out is the need for interim stores, to keep from cutting into long term food stores.

I have now stored food for a two year interim plan that requires no other packaging, just mouse proofing, which is easy here.

I have serious doubts with this coming election, riots in either direction with the outcome.

Nothing has settled down, nightly riots are becoming commonplace, and in some cities encouraged by the mayors out in support.

Tomorrow I have to go within a 100 yards of where there are demonstrations daily, a hospital.

I will be armed to the teeth, and so will daughter so be.

Have 2 BP vest in cherokee that will go on us if needed before zone entry.

The city is a "sanctuary city" so you can figure it out.

There was a gang related gun battle just outside of the house where I lived with my parents in the 60s and early 70s.

And another one, a running gun gun battle between two cars on the other side of the city where I have to go tomorrow.

#18 ·
I was given a two year old refrigerator/freezer combo, stainless steel job, will be here in the next week or two.

It is going in my shop replacing the GE "monitor" that was in there, it died after 87 years!!!!!!

That freezer will be filled quickly, along with other stuff in the fridge part.

The important thing I found out is the need for interim stores, to keep from cutting into long term food stores.

I have now stored food for a two year interim plan that requires no other packaging, just mouse proofing, which is easy here.

I have serious doubts with this coming election, riots in either direction with the outcome.

Nothing has settled down, nightly riots are becoming commonplace, and in some cities encouraged by the mayors out in support.

Tomorrow I have to go within a 100 yards of where there are demonstrations daily, a hospital.

I will be armed to the teeth, and so will daughter so be.

Have 2 BP vest in cherokee that will go on us if needed before zone entry.

The city is a "sanctuary city" so you can figure it out.

There was a gang related gun battle just outside of the house where I lived with my parents in the 60s and early 70s.

And another one, a running gun gun battle between two cars on the other side of the city where I have to go tomorrow.
Be safe.

I agree the closer we get to the election and especially after, it will get worse.

#20 ·
As I said, I have enough storage for 1 to 2 years if I am conservative. As for my neighbors? Maybe some will be of help, some most definitely not. My hope is to lay as low as possible and try to survive the initial waves. At 60 I am no Rambo, as the ******* is so fond of saying, but I will do as best I can with what I have. While staying out of the fray will be the first option, If the fight comes to me I will do what I have always done, I will do what needs to be done and I'll not lose a moments sleep over it. Truth is, I don't like most people and trust even fewer, so I have little compassion for those who would intend harm for me and mine.

I have plans of course to bug out but it's not high on my list. Contingency plans A, B, C, etc. But, when it comes down to it, I am inclined to stay here with my storage and protection, at least in the initial throws of disaster, and I will just have to oblige those who see fit among my "fellow man" to bring the fight to me.

#26 ·

My goal has always been to have enough food & supplies put up to last about a year and the ability to provide more for longer.....as with my chickens & garden.

Approximately 6 months.

#27 ·
Keep in mind that you need to consider "calories per day" when determining how much food you actually have. Assuming not working too hard the average person will require at least 2000 calories per day. Men closer to 2300, women about 1800 calories per day for moderate work. Working hard outside I burn about 2600 calories a day. A fireman fighting wildfires all day will burn about 3500 calories. My wife working at the office burns about 1400 calories a day.
MOST prepared long term storage food kits barely provide 1200 calories per day, During WW2 1100 calories a day was considered starvation level feeding for prisoners sitting most of the day and a slow death for those who worked. Legacy Foods does provide the minimum required 2000 calories per day, Wise and Mountain House do not.

2000 calories per day. Check your stored food and do the math.
A #10 can of white rice (about 6 1/2 lbs) is 15,000 calories or about 7 days of food.
A #10 can of dehydrated green beans is about 1800 calories or about 1 day of food.

Everybody's budget is different but none of us are professional organic farmers, especially with limited fuel supplies. Since the 1st years crop may not do so well I think having at least 18 months at 2000 calories per day of food on hand would be the goal. That way if your 1st year growing food fails you've got a second growing year to figure out how to farm. So for me the goal is 18 months at 2000+ calories per day. We're not there yet.

While I'd like to I can't afford enough food to feed the few neighbors I have. Plus there are all sorts of problems with trying to feed others. But at the same time I understand that without a few more people living here I can't realistically defend the property that I would hope to grow food on. We have a few family members who probably would join us (yes, I've discussed this with them) and put up a bit for them but probably will never have enough to have 2000 calories per day for 18 months for everybody.

#28 · (Edited)
Everybody's budget is different but none of us are professional organic farmers, especially with limited fuel supplies. Since the 1st years crop may not do so well I think having at least 18 months at 2000 calories per day of food on hand would be the goal. That way if your 1st year growing food fails you've got a second growing year to figure out how to farm. So for me the goal is 18 months at 2000+ calories per day. We're not there yet.
Sounds logical. I used the calorie count to determine how much long term stores I would need per person. As I added more & more food into storage, I would tell myself I just provided for another person. Maybe it was a mind game but it broke up the process into manageable steps.

However I feel one can work to ensure the 1st year crop does well. That is why every year I try different crops and techniques. For example, my three sisters garden didn't work well as I tried using rows of corn, but spaced wider than normal. Even with the extra spacing, the pole beans & winter squash didn't get enough light and those plants suffered for it. So I learned, the tried & true methods the native Americans used are best. Lots of small, round food plots where all plants get equal sunlight works best. I have tested amaranth for several years and now feel 100% confident anyone can grow that crop and can produce huge yields of nutritious food.

Also keep in mind, that first year, if living a rural life like me, one could expect to harvest a fair amount of wild game. That will certainly add to the calorie count. I can likewise add to the calorie count by sharing resources with my neighbors with cattle herds. But then there are things rural preppers can do now to provide a steady supply of calories each & every year. One of which is by planting & maintaining orchards, berry patches, grapes & nut trees. I have around 150 fruit trees on my property and they will provide calories each and every year. Another thing one can do is have ponds stocked with fish. My pond is just an acre in size, but since I feed them every day, it is loaded with channel cats ranging in size from small yearlings to 30 lbs. That is thousands of lbs of fresh meat always available and with management, self sustaining.

Guess my point is, after the crisis hits, it will probably be too late to try to figure out how to be self sufficient.

#31 ·

i just had this conversation last night with my husband. I say a year. But he says, 'Just fill up the space that's available and stop there.' That's because he doesn't want to clear the shelves of all the useless junk we've acquired throughout the years... We've got a large group for me to be thinking about, so I don't there's an end in sight anytime soon.

#33 ·
we had a year of stuff but moved three times and ate some of it... we could make 2 loafs of bread a week for 1 year.

we would most likely be able to do 6 months... depending on when SHTF and what the reason - we could stretch to forever with seeds and raising chickens and rabbits and setting up a few trade and protection agreements

#37 ·
My daily intake is around 1,200-1,400 Cal.

My weight is stable, no hard work, never been into any exercise routine, did plenty of physical work before retiring.

My stores are based on that burn rate, never been a big eater, eat less now than before.

Have had the entry of hypoglycemia a couple of times but caught it early.

#60 ·
I purchased my supply of rolled oat from Walmart a few years ago. They had really good pricing & free freight. The brand was Emergency Essentials and they came in a superpail, with mylar bag & oxygen absorber. They came ready for storage. I think almost all their product is now out of stock. You can make up your own superpails, as I have done with almost all my rice, beans & pasta. I note you can get oats here: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/50...MIktei7cuF6wIVEb7ACh1v8w5GEAQYASABEgLk7_D_BwE

#65 ·
Harmful to breath is the first thing that comes to mind. Great for my chickens to ingest and for them to breath it no big deal as there life span is only about 8 years. Humans though live long enough it will wreck havoc on your lungs and personally I wouldn't want to ingest it either.

#70 ·
DE is good to put around plants to deter slugs/insects. Washes away with rain.

I'd not put it into in my food stores. Although it's claimed food grade is O.K. to ingest. Farmers use it it too: in feed acts as a wormer , chickens/fowl dust in it to get rids of insect parasites ( set up one for the chickens where it won't get rained on), I've seen duster bags hung in barn doors.

For food stores I can get clean food grade 55- gal metal drums, $25 ea. Put sealed stuff inside, no bugs or vermin can get in.

I use them for garbage cans, bear/critter proof so far. And at $25 cheaper and better than store brought metal garbage cans. I get full size plastic liners to line those cans, the HD liners are big enough to hang over the top rim with the lid on.

Drinkware Cup Amber Serveware Drink

Automotive tire Product Cylinder Composite material Gas

#71 ·
DE is good to put around plants to deter slugs/insects. Washes away with rain.

I'd not put it into in my food stores. Although it's claimed food grade is O.K. to ingest. Farmers use it it too: in feed acts as a wormer , chickens/fowl dust in it to get rids of insect parasites ( set up one for the chickens where it won't get rained on), I've seen duster bags hung in barn doors.

For food stores I can get clean food grade 55- gal metal drums, $25 ea. Put sealed stuff inside, no bugs or vermin can get in.

I use them for garbage cans, bear/critter proof so far. And at $25 cheaper and better than store brought metal garbage cans. I get full size plastic liners to line those cans, the HD liners are big enough to hang over the top rim with the lid on.

View attachment 107689

View attachment 107691
No bugs can get in, but bugs in grains come from the grains themselves, not the storage vessels. So some kind of precautions need to be taken prior to long-term storage.

#73 ·
@******* I use oxygen absorbers, I don't completely trust them. The first batch I ever bought and used was already spent, I ended up re-bagging 50 lbs of wheat. But I'm learning. DE is a desiccant and kills insects. But I'm not trying to change any minds here. Just exchanging ideas. Everybody should do what they're comfortable with.
@hawgrider I think you understand my point. I've removed some asbestos too, but not for a living. BTW I ride a softail, on its second rebuild, it goes pretty good.

@ Mad Trapper I envy you and the others guys that have land and livestock and have the room to store in large containers.
@paulag1955 I'll probably, what was I saying, oh yeah, forget to wear a mask until I'm halfway through the pouring the oats out in the colander for rinsing.

Thanks for all your comments, I came here to learn what other folks do and I'm learning. Like all things there may be more than one correct answer.

#74 · (Edited)
@******* I use oxygen absorbers, I don't completely trust them. The first batch I ever bought and used was already spent, I ended up re-bagging 50 lbs of wheat. But I'm learning. DE is a desiccant and kills insects. But I'm not trying to change any minds here. Just exchanging ideas. Everybody should do what they're comfortable with.
Technique I learned while putting up thousands of lbs of long term stores, is to leave the lid off the pail for a bit after sealing. If the oxygen absorbers work, which mine all have, the mylar bag will start to contract, just like if you sucked out the air. Generally means I package one day and seal the plastic pail the next. Another technique I do is to seal the bag all the way except for about 2 inches. I then remove the oxygen absorber from its bag, insert into mylar bag, pust out all possible remaining air and then seal. I then run a 2nd bead of seal under the first, just as a precaution. I feel twp seals is better than one.

IMO, once that bag contracts, any bugs or larvae will be dead. Plus as I stated, I also add dessicants which will remove any residual moisture. The pails are stored in a room that always stays cool and the contents are kept dry & in a very low oxygen environment. All I understand tells me that is what is needed to ensure your stores last for decades.

#75 ·
One other thought. If you vacuum seal, how much air/oxygen is left? Do oxygen absorbers really need to used in such a case? Might a vitamin C tablet substitute?

I've not studied oxygen absorbers well. In fact in my storage not used them, no problems so far.. But I'll learn...

I worked with chemicals that would change with a wiff of air /oxygen/moisture, and handled them in inert atmospheres (argon, nitrogen). Also stored those long term.

Some took a year just to make. Sort of like my vegetables!

#76 ·
One other thought. If you vacuum seal, how much air/oxygen is left? Do oxygen absorbers really need to used in such a case?
You know, I come from the school of thought if a 4x4 is good enough... I'll use a 6x6 to be extra sure. Since an oxygen absorber is not very expensive, why not use it even if you vacuum seal? That is why I also add dessicants. Now if you are just storing for a few years, no big deal. But if these need to last decades, I'm gonna use every trick available to ensure that food stays good. Your life just may depend on your actions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.