What is your timeline for storage? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What is your timeline for storage?

This is a discussion on What is your timeline for storage? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut Just how long are you preparing for? 6 months? 1 year? 5 or 10 years? My goal has always been to ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What is your timeline for storage?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Just how long are you preparing for? 6 months? 1 year? 5 or 10 years?

My goal has always been to have enough food & supplies put up to last about a year and the ability to provide more for longer.....as with my chickens & garden.

BUT is that really enough? Simple answer is probably not and it would actually depend on many outside influences as to how long we'd need to survive from our stores. But what kind of timeline do you expect your stores to last or that you would need it???
    i just had this conversation last night with my husband. I say a year. But he says, 'Just fill up the space that's available and stop there.' That's because he doesn't want to clear the shelves of all the useless junk we've acquired throughout the years... We've got a large group for me to be thinking about, so I don't there's an end in sight anytime soon.
    SOCOM42 and JustAnotherNut like this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    i just had this conversation last night with my husband. I say a year. But he says, 'Just fill up the space that's available and stop there.' That's because he doesn't want to clear the shelves of all the useless junk we've acquired throughout the years... We've got a large group for me to be thinking about, so I don't there's an end in sight anytime soon.
    It is a never ending endeavor, you can't stop, I have been at it since the blizzard of 1978, have never stopped.

Some needs to be replaced due to age, some from consumption, a lot of my 25 year canned stuff is running out of time.

There are still things I need to get, never will end.
    Denton, Annie and Redneck like this.

we had a year of stuff but moved three times and ate some of it... we could make 2 loafs of bread a week for 1 year.

we would most likely be able to do 6 months... depending on when SHTF and what the reason - we could stretch to forever with seeds and raising chickens and rabbits and setting up a few trade and protection agreements
    Annie likes this.
    Be a Berean

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    The charts say that your wife burns about 1400 calories a day, but there's no way to know how many she actually burns. I would guess it could be plus/minus 200 calories. If I'm doing physical labor (and I don't mean weeding the garden, I mean, for example, double digging the garden) I can consume about 1500 calories a day and maintain weight, but otherwise, I have to cut back to under 1200. Those charts are useful starting points, but it pays to know your own body. That being said, 2,000 calories a day is a good goal.
    Actually my wife and I wore 2 different Fitbit watches programmed to monitor out calorie burn for over a year which allowed us to get fairly accurate calorie counts. We never used any "charts".
    A day of sitting around the house tinkering on little projects I burn about 1800 calories. The most calories I ever burned in 24 hours during that year was 3200.

If SHTF happened I suspect we would average more than 2000 calories per day but as I mentioned in a previous post we have other food sources on the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Actually my wife and I wore 2 different Fitbit watches programmed to monitor out calorie burn for over a year which allowed us to get fairly accurate calorie counts. We never used any "charts".
    A day of sitting around the house tinkering on little projects I burn about 1800 calories. The most calories I ever burned in 24 hours during that year was 3200.

If SHTF happened I suspect we would average more than 2000 calories per day but as I mentioned in a previous post we have other food sources on the property.
    Fitness trackers calculate calories burned based basal metabolic rate, which comes from a chart based on your gender, age, height and weight. That is why they ask for that information when you set up your tracker. My basal metabolic rate is 1301, which I know from literal years of tracking my calories is wrong. I would slowly gain weight on a 1300 calorie/day diet. If a person's BMR is average, then the calories burned returned by a fitness tracker will be relatively accurate, but there's no real way to know. I mean...maybe testing in a lab setting, not not for us normal folks.

Fifth topic down...

How does my Fitbit device calulate calories burned
    Last edited by paulag1955; 08-01-2020 at 02:45 PM.

True but I found the FitBit calorie burn calculations closely matched the activity level for the day for both me and my wife.. @paulag1955

My daily intake is around 1,200-1,400 Cal.

My weight is stable, no hard work, never been into any exercise routine, did plenty of physical work before retiring.

My stores are based on that burn rate, never been a big eater, eat less now than before.

Have had the entry of hypoglycemia a couple of times but caught it early.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-Marine View Post
    we had a year of stuff but moved three times and ate some of it... we could make 2 loafs of bread a week for 1 year.

we would most likely be able to do 6 months... depending on when SHTF and what the reason - we could stretch to forever with seeds and raising chickens and rabbits and setting up a few trade and protection agreements
    My goal is 1 loaf per day. So that means 365 quart jars of AP flour. I'm about 2/3 of the way there now.
    Redneck likes this.
    Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ’til you’re dead!--Moonstruck

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    My goal is 1 loaf per day. So that means 365 quart jars of AP flour. I'm about 2/3 of the way there now.
    Hell, I plan on eating more than a loaf of bread. Think about what you eat normally that is made from flour. I'm gonna want to also eat pancakes, biscuits, cake, cookies, etc. That is why my largest store, by far, is wheat berries. But I do like your method of storing flour in quart jars. That means, during a crisis, you have a very healthy inventory of jars for canning later. Doesn't work for me as I'm too lazy to make homemade bread every day. So I have cases of empty jars in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    True but I found the FitBit calorie burn calculations closely matched the activity level for the day for both me and my wife.. @paulag1955
    How did you determine that?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links