What is your timeline for storage? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What is your timeline for storage?

This is a discussion on What is your timeline for storage? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; @ Redneck , here is where you and I differ, I don't have any close neighbors, save one an old lady and her 65 year ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: What is your timeline for storage?

@Redneck ,

here is where you and I differ, I don't have any close neighbors,

save one an old lady and her 65 year old daughter.

And yes we are rural ourselves. the other side of the lake

has become infested with some of the wealthiest people who commute to

Boston everyday to their upper management positions,

they have driven the property values sky high and the taxes too.

Now, what there are for "neighbors" on the main road,

I have never met and never will.

They, from their appearances are a lot better off than I am,

and many have nice boats on the lake.

I do not give a shit for them or their survival,

just like they couldn't care less about mine.

I have been here for 43 years now and never have met any of them,

including the ones who have moved out in the past.

I will provide nothing to them, they would probably not even look here,

based on their status, of upwardly mobile libtards.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 07-28-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    @Redneck ,

here is where you and I differ, I don't have any close neighbors, save one an old lady and her 65 year old daughter.

Now what there are for "neighbors" on the main road, I have never met and never will.

They, from their appearances are a lot better off than I am, and many have nice boats on the lake.

I do not give a shit for them or their survival, just like they couldn't care less about mine.

I have been here for 43 years now and never have met any of them, including the ones who have moved out in the past.

I will provide nothing to them, they would probably not even look here based on their status, upwardly mobile libtards.
    As I said, everyone's situation is different. I have several close in neighbors that are friends. I know all on our lane.
    Michael_Js and Denton like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    As I said, everyone's situation is different. I have several close in neighbors that are friends. I know all on our lane.
    I give you kudos for your willing to help, a good Christian.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I give you kudos for your willing to help, a good Christian.
    Thank you sir! I try. But it is more than being a good person... it is being well prepared for the situation I'm in. I can't and won't help everyone. That is the horrible truth.
    Last edited by Redneck; 07-28-2020 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    The way I see it, it makes no difference if your stores can last you over a year, if you can't be secure/safe. Your security is as important, or more so, than how much food you have. If you don't have a valid plan for long term security then your stores may go to others. Sure, we all have guns... lots of guns. But in reality, last thing you want to do is constantly fight for your survival. Rambo isn't real. In the real world, anyone can get hurt/killed in a fight. Sure, you can maybe fight off some raiders but what about your neighbors that are starving? They have a right to be there so you just can't shoot them on sight. If they are starving and you have plenty, they become a huge threat. At any time, one or more neighbors could take you out to have access to your preps.

So yes I have stores enough to last me & mine a few years. But my plan is to share my stores with most families on our rural, dead end lane. The plan would be to come together as a small community to share resources and for joint security. That way your neighbors don't become a threat. On our lane, we have a couple of farmers with cattle herds. We have a dentist and a couple of nurses. Most are rednecks and are avid hunters/woodsmen. Several have large gardens, one has bee hives and a few, like me keep chickens. I have a pond full of grain fed catfish and there are several larger lakes around. The woods are full of deer & other game but I wouldn't expect that to last.

So I see my stores are a temporary fix to provide food for many for a short amount of time... under a year. It is designed to buy us time to get organized and to get food crops in the ground so that the community can become self reliant. I keep many hundreds of pounds of garden seed in storage and at the fist sign of a crisis, when others are fighting over food in the stores, I'll be at the farm supply loading up on more seed, fertilizer & chemicals.

Everyone's situation is different, so I understand what I plan wouldn't work for many. However, I'm afraid too many preppers just think about how much they have in storage and don't really consider their safety... besides being Rambo.
    Yeah I get that and had thought our little community would come together to help each other out, but due to some recent changes and 'developments', that may or may not still be an option. While I can't feed everybody, I can currently help them to help themselves.....by offering up a few chickens & garden seeds or how to make a pound of burger stretch to feed 4 people 4 meals in exchange for??? I doubt most peoples cupboards are completely bare at any given time (yet or currently), so that would give some time to get them set up to provide for themselves. But that diminishes the closer we get to fall/winter. It would be nice to have enough warning of some future event that would upset the cookie cart, so that the neighborhood could come together to make a plan and get everyone set up to ride out whatever trouble.......but that means alot of people having to be on the same page & ready to hear it & act on it. While you can count on others to want to eat & survive & know their backs are covered for safety DURING an event......you can't count on them to have the forethought right now to be willing to 'come together' to achieve that.

And because of recent changes in the neighborhood, we've been toying with the idea of getting rid of the chickens and not doing another garden next year, just so we don't stick out like a sore thumb. But we really don't want to do that since we finally have a great broody hen and a darned good rooster. Both of which can be impossible to find & get back later. It's quite the conundrum.
    StratMaster likes this.

I’ve already rebuilt my food and supply stocks back up to pre-covid levels. Actually, better than that. I probably have more on hand now than ever before. I increased antibiotics and spare parts. I’ve already bought next years seeds. I’m increasing levels of non-long term foods. I even found bread flour and yeast today. I’ve got a second small freezer in hand now and got an additional 3 nato jerry cans. Heating coal and fuel oil all topped up already. I will fill all the fuel and diesel cans in the fall and fill up the freezers with meat pre-election. I’m planning on things going totally to shit right around election time and I want stocked to survive with only one or two grocery runs per month for fresh veggies all winter. Also laying in a full winters worth of dog food in October. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst.
    JustAnotherNut and Joe like this.

I was given a two year old refrigerator/freezer combo, stainless steel job, will be here in the next week or two.

It is going in my shop replacing the GE "monitor" that was in there, it died after 87 years!!!!!!

That freezer will be filled quickly, along with other stuff in the fridge part.

The important thing I found out is the need for interim stores, to keep from cutting into long term food stores.

I have now stored food for a two year interim plan that requires no other packaging, just mouse proofing, which is easy here.

I have serious doubts with this coming election, riots in either direction with the outcome.

Nothing has settled down, nightly riots are becoming commonplace, and in some cities encouraged by the mayors out in support.

Tomorrow I have to go within a 100 yards of where there are demonstrations daily, a hospital.

I will be armed to the teeth, and so will daughter so be.

Have 2 BP vest in cherokee that will go on us if needed before zone entry.

The city is a "sanctuary city" so you can figure it out.

There was a gang related gun battle just outside of the house where I lived with my parents in the 60s and early 70s.

And another one, a running gun gun battle between two cars on the other side of the city where I have to go tomorrow.
    JustAnotherNut and Joe like this.

I was given a two year old refrigerator/freezer combo, stainless steel job, will be here in the next week or two.

It is going in my shop replacing the GE "monitor" that was in there, it died after 87 years!!!!!!

That freezer will be filled quickly, along with other stuff in the fridge part.

The important thing I found out is the need for interim stores, to keep from cutting into long term food stores.

I have now stored food for a two year interim plan that requires no other packaging, just mouse proofing, which is easy here.

I have serious doubts with this coming election, riots in either direction with the outcome.

Nothing has settled down, nightly riots are becoming commonplace, and in some cities encouraged by the mayors out in support.

Tomorrow I have to go within a 100 yards of where there are demonstrations daily, a hospital.

I will be armed to the teeth, and so will daughter so be.

Have 2 BP vest in cherokee that will go on us if needed before zone entry.

The city is a "sanctuary city" so you can figure it out.

There was a gang related gun battle just outside of the house where I lived with my parents in the 60s and early 70s.

And another one, a running gun gun battle between two cars on the other side of the city where I have to go tomorrow.
    Be safe.

I agree the closer we get to the election and especially after, it will get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    Iíve already rebuilt my food and supply stocks back up to pre-covid levels. Actually, better than that. I probably have more on hand now than ever before. I increased antibiotics and spare parts. Iíve already bought next years seeds. Iím increasing levels of non-long term foods. I even found bread flour and yeast today. Iíve got a second small freezer in hand now and got an additional 3 nato jerry cans. Heating coal and fuel oil all topped up already. I will fill all the fuel and diesel cans in the fall and fill up the freezers with meat pre-election. Iím planning on things going totally to shit right around election time and I want stocked to survive with only one or two grocery runs per month for fresh veggies all winter. Also laying in a full winters worth of dog food in October. Hoping for the best and planning for the worst.
    Any chance you can find a spot inside your house for a few plant pots, that you can grow some fresh veggies?

Also, if you have a garden growing now.....as you harvest from it and pull the plants, you can still prep the bed and replant for a fall harvest. Those cool weather veggies, like some lettuces, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, carrots, etc that can handle some light frosts can even survive a freeze or two if you protect it somehow......either a cold/hot frame of some sort, or some kind of row cover, or even extra mulch. Doubtful it will protect all winter, but can sure extend the growing season

As I said, I have enough storage for 1 to 2 years if I am conservative. As for my neighbors? Maybe some will be of help, some most definitely not. My hope is to lay as low as possible and try to survive the initial waves. At 60 I am no Rambo, as the redneck is so fond of saying, but I will do as best I can with what I have. While staying out of the fray will be the first option, If the fight comes to me I will do what I have always done, I will do what needs to be done and I'll not lose a moments sleep over it. Truth is, I don't like most people and trust even fewer, so I have little compassion for those who would intend harm for me and mine.

I have plans of course to bug out but it's not high on my list. Contingency plans A, B, C, etc. But, when it comes down to it, I am inclined to stay here with my storage and protection, at least in the initial throws of disaster, and I will just have to oblige those who see fit among my "fellow man" to bring the fight to me.
    SOCOM42 and JustAnotherNut like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links