Temperature check for Food Stored in Mylar Bags
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Temperature check for Food Stored in Mylar Bags within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hi All, Kind of sounds silly, my Mylar bags are full and I want to know what temperature to store them at. Setup: Food in ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Temperature check for Food Stored in Mylar Bags

Hi All,

Kind of sounds silly, my Mylar bags are full and I want to know what temperature to store them at.

Setup:
    Food in 7mil Mylar Bag with O2 absorber.

Several bags in a sealed plastic buckets (its 20 litres so 5 gallons?)

It is currently winter here in Australia so I am not concerned about my stored food being stored in 6-12 degree heat. But as it is getting closer to summer it will get upto 35 degrees celsius which I would imagine is too hot.

I have about 30-40 of the plastic buckets so they take up a fairly considerable space. My attic would probably reach >35 degrees (the temperature of the room where they are currently stored).

Does anyone have any experience with storing them under their house? Does anyone know what the ambient temperature under a house is? Does anyone have any suggestions for me at all please

Cheers

Welcome to PF.

You should be courteous enough to introduce yourself. At least you didn't start out trying to sell something..........

I'd store food stuffs in the cellar. It's cool there summer and don't freeze winter. I also have a root cellar, but you can figure out what gets stored there.

You want it as cool as possible. The dryer & cooler, the longer it stores. I have a purpose built room for my stores, with its own built in air conditioner, that never gets warmer than 65 Fahrenheit or around 18 Celsius.
    StratMaster and Annie like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    You want it as cool as possible. The dryer & cooler, the longer it stores. I have a purpose built room for my stores, with its own built in air conditioner, that never gets warmer than 65 Fahrenheit or around 18 Celsius.
    +1 on dryer and cooler.

Too much $$$ to run an air conditioner for dry food room here, I don't even use one for me!

My cellar always stays cool. Keep my freezer down there too. Dried stuff is well sealed for moisture and goes into a food grade metal drum that is insect and vermin proof. Cellar never sees 70 oF summer, sometimes 30s oF winter, as wood heat is upstairs (but then it's << O oF outside).
    StratMaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Too much $$$ to run an air conditioner for dry food room here, I don't even use one for me!

My cellar always stays cool. Keep my freezer down there too. Dried stuff is well sealed for moisture and goes into a food grade metal drum that is insect and vermin proof. Cellar never sees 70 oF summer, sometimes 30s oF winter, as wood heat is upstairs (but then it's << O oF outside).
    Come live in Mississippi in the summer and I bet you will find the money for air conditioning.
    Mad Trapper likes this.

temperature isn't the only consideration for storage of mylar/02 absorber storage units >>> those packages are absorbing the air from their outside environment - bad air == tainted food ...

to answer your question - common problem in the air uncirculated basement/cellar is a "musty" small - you food will taint to that "smelly feet" taste ...

you also need to be uber careful about storage with any fuels, chems and pesticides/urbicides - plenty of prepper tales about fuel oil flour and oatmeal from storing near the furnace fuel tank ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    Come live in Mississippi in the summer and I bet you will find the money for air conditioning.
    I've got a cot in the cellar, a screen porch, and will put on a wet t-shirt and sit in front of a fan (almost as cool as AC IMHO).

It's going into the 90s oF here today with dewpoints in the 70s, that's hot for here. You guys send that up here?

There is a small ice cold stream, that comes off a mountain, it has a swimming hole 10' deep in a shaded hemlock hollow. It's full of native brook trout too. Might pay that location a visit today and have a cold malt beverage.

If the hippie girls show up, with their hairy pits and "free ranging swingers", I hope they have not went Antifa.
    Redneck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    temperature isn't the only consideration for storage of mylar/02 absorber storage units >>> those packages are absorbing the air from their outside environment - bad air == tainted food ...

to answer your question - common problem in the air uncirculated basement/cellar is a "musty" small - you food will taint to that "smelly feet" taste ...

you also need to be uber careful about storage with any fuels, chems and pesticides/urbicides - plenty of prepper tales about fuel oil flour and oatmeal from storing near the furnace fuel tank ...
    If you vacuum seal, packages will be nearly 100% air tight, then inside a secondary container I don't see a problem. My root cellar is in same basement and I have oil backup heat, never had an oil leak and I still have edible potatoes, onions, and garlic from last summer/fall, lots more things over the winter. They all are starting to sprout but about zero rot. None of that stuff is sealed, it needs to breath in storage. Stuff stored in my refrigerator with an old piece of fish is worse.

My basement stays dry and never had a sewage backup. I'd worry then

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    +1 on dryer and cooler.

Not everyone has a cellar. In fact, cellars may be a regional thing. In the PNW, we see a lot of crawl space and slab construction, and daylight basements.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Not everyone has a cellar. In fact, cellars may be a regional thing. In the PNW, we see a lot of crawl space and slab construction, and daylight basements.
    Yep, almost no basements or cellars in the south.
    paulag1955 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links