Is Your Cloth Mask Endangering You? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is Your Cloth Mask Endangering You?

This is a discussion on Is Your Cloth Mask Endangering You? within the Food, Health and Fitness Survival forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Chipper What mask?? Haven't worn one and I'm not going to. You sheep certainly can if you want. Here you are not ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    What mask?? Haven't worn one and I'm not going to. You sheep certainly can if you want.
    Here you are not allowed into any stores without one, With almost 95,000 cases in the state something had to be done.

With the social distancing and the masks the daily count has gone from over 3,000 down to 2 or 3 hundred.

There are 6,500+ deaths from it, a hell of a lot more than California has.

I am 79 and diabetic type 2, the highest level for a death sentence,

not pushing my luck without one, you younger guys can deal with it and the outcome.

I only wear it and gloves when going into a store, then remove them after decontaminating the product and myself.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-27-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Here you are not allowed into any stores without one, With almost 95,000 cases in the state something had to be done.

With the social distancing and the masks the daily count has gone from over 3,000 down to 2 or 3 hundred.

There are 6,500+ deaths from it, a hell of a lot more than California has.

I am 79 and diabetic type 2, the highest level for a death sentence,

not pushing my luck without one, you younger guys can deal with it and the outcome.

I only wear it and gloves when going into a store, then remove them after decontaminating the product and myself.
    The mask protects others from you. Everyone would have to wear one for you to benefit.

I wish you would do pick-up and order things online. We damned-sure don't want to lose you.

We use Walmart pick-up. If anyone has to go inside, I do it. I move fast and see it as escape and evasion.

My parents are hard-headed. They have to go to the commissary. At 90 and 85, they aren't fast, but they go early during the old-timers hours. They also use the N-95 respirators I gave them. I'd prefer them to let me get everything for them but as I said, they are hard-headed. Don't be hard-headed. You old people are worrying me to death!
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Everyone in the two or three places I go wear them, mandatory, there are local police details there to enforce the rule.

Some people are asked to show ID by them to see if over 60, I was included on one trip.

I would rather die in a firefight than by some GD bug.

I told you I was seriously considering wearing an M-17 A1 NBC mask.

That would offer me level 4 respiratory protection, I carry two in each Jeep.

Now I carry the stuff to decon whatever packages I buy and put in the Jeeps before I leave.

Decon everything again when I get back, decon myself also, kid stays home too risky for her.

Bio was the only thing that scared me in the military, still does.

When I do go, it is in the early morning old fart hours right after the places are cleaned.

You have no idea how hard it is for me to get up before 10:00 AM!

I have added 90% hydrogen peroxide to my sanitizer mix, you can't buy the stuff over the counter anywhere.

I have reagent grade, a gallon of it, extremely dangerous stuff in this concentration,

container is of a special plastic and a 1/4" thick.

It was used as part of rocket fuel it the ME 163 komet.

Stuff you get in the store is only 3% solution.

I started using CVS mail service for scripts, the girls say they miss seeing me when I call to get them shipped out.

Hey @Denton , I have always been hard headed, but logical.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-28-2020 at 10:15 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm like @Chipper , I have yet to put on a mask. The "why I refuse to wear one" really boils down to 2 questions:

1 - If wearing a mask prevents the virus (either prevents me from spreading it or prevents others from spreading it to me), why do we have to do the whole "social distancing"?

2 - If "social distancing" works so well, why do we need masks?

Add to that the fact that wearing a mask will cause the wearer to touch their own face far more frequently (a known cause of the spread of the illness) and the whole mask and "social distancing" thing seems like complete nonsense to me.

In 2001-02 I supported the Patriot Act thinking the government had our best interests at heart and thinking they were moderately competent enough to protect us if given a little more power to do so. I made a HUGE miscalculation that time. I will not make the same mistake again.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    I'm like @Chipper , I have yet to put on a mask. The "why I refuse to wear one" really boils down to 2 questions:

1 - If wearing a mask prevents the virus (either prevents me from spreading it or prevents others from spreading it to me), why do we have to do the whole "social distancing"?

2 - If "social distancing" works so well, why do we need masks?

Add to that the fact that wearing a mask will cause the wearer to touch their own face far more frequently (a known cause of the spread of the illness) and the whole mask and "social distancing" thing seems like complete nonsense to me.

In 2001-02 I supported the Patriot Act thinking the government had our best interests at heart and thinking they were moderately competent enough to protect us if given a little more power to do so. I made a HUGE miscalculation that time. I will not make the same mistake again.
    OOH-OOH! Mister Kotter!

Masks are to be worn when "social distancing" is not possible. They should not be worn at all times, yet uneducated people do so.

Social distancing is moronic. Six feet is too close and twenty feet is impractical. Heck, six feet is impractical at Walmart.

"...of mice and men," but this isn't an honest or innocent situation. Whether the initial exposure was accidental or intentional, what has happened since has been choreographed.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    @Denton @Redneck

Of course the mask itself can make you sick.

Try this:
    Put a cloth mask or a bandana over your mouth and nose; keep it on for 8 hours, during which collect in it, and on your face, the moisture from your own exhales, the sprayed droplets from your own words, sneeze a few times, smell your own breath, cough once or twice, get it good and damp. True, you can't give yourself an illness you dont already have, BUT the diminished oxygen/air flow you experience for an extended period of time from the mask holding your own spew will exacerbate anything you actually do have.

Who needs covid to make you sick when we have such good govt guidelines!
    At least masks play hell with Face ID cameras everywhere. LOL
    I think you have taken this out of context. Who around here is gonna wear the mask 8 hours nonstop? The article referenced by the OP was discussing cloth masks in a medical environment, where professionals are exposed to sick people all day long.

I wish everyone prepped properly and had plenty of N95 masks to use. But even then, when occasionally getting among others for short periods of time (shopping for food), any mask can help slow the spread of the virus... and is not harmful to you. You disagree with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I think you have taken this out of context. Who around here is gonna wear the mask 8 hours nonstop? The article referenced by the OP was discussing cloth masks in a medical environment, where professionals are exposed to sick people all day long.

I wish everyone prepped properly and had plenty of N95 masks to use. But even then, when occasionally getting among others for short periods of time (shopping for food), any mask can help slow the spread of the virus... and is not harmful to you. You disagree with that?
    Not out of context at all. I'm bettin health care professionals work 8-10 hour shifts; their using a cloth mask adds their own dynamics into, and supports, the point you are making. Generally speaking, I dont think masks are healthy for anyone for any length of time. If there is a warranted reason for wearing them, that's another thing altogether - but the false security some have thinking a cloth mask will protect them in this situation, is deceptive and dangerous.
    Vanished, into the mist.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    Hey, my cloth mask has a sub micron filter element sewn into it between the two.

It also has a silicone bead around the interior perimeter to seal it off.
    Where do you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    Where do you get them?
    My daughter makes them.

Uses a new "T" shirt cut up, my .5 micron lab filters, elastic banding from clothes making supplies.

The metal bridge strip is made from cat food can tops, cut into the strips, glued and sewn into place.

GE pure silicone clear is used for the sealant.

I disinfect them after use, both sides, chem and UV light.

Common sense prevails, when the wife and I go shopping we each grab a cart and go to town to get what we need and get out.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links